Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fairfax County Public Schools force Students to go to school during a snowstorm

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27770783/so...snow-storm

Ridiculous. #closeFCPS is the #1 trend worldwide on Twitter right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We used to have this problem here.  Then a couple of kids got killed, and they close school a lot easier than when we were in school.  We barely got a dusting, and there was a two hour delay today.  (which my wife was very happy about).  I still remember some of the ridiculous rules we had though.  Where they couldn't let us out after a certain time (when it started snowing heavily) until after everyone had lunch.  And the bus drivers were awful.  Mine wouldn't even let me out at my house, not wanting to go into the neighborhood because of the bad snow.  I remember my mom being really mad.  

Fairfax is HUGE.  It's the largest county in Virginia.  So it's not too surprising that it's trending BIG on twitter.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:We used to have this problem here.  Then a couple of kids got killed, and they close school a lot easier than when we were in school.  We barely got a dusting, and there was a two hour delay today.  (which my wife was very happy about).  I still remember some of the ridiculous rules we had though.  Where they couldn't let us out after a certain time (when it started snowing heavily) until after everyone had lunch.  And the bus drivers were awful.  Mine wouldn't even let me out at my house, not wanting to go into the neighborhood because of the bad snow.  I remember my mom being really mad.  

Fairfax is HUGE.  It's the largest county in Virginia.  So it's not too surprising that it's trending BIG on twitter.  
I know that Montgomery County and many of the other surrounding Counties in Maryland closed today. It just seems ridiculous though that they would essentially make Teachers and Students risk their lives by coming to school today despite the bad conditions on the road.

I'm not sure if there's black ice under the snow, but as someone from Wisconsin, those pictures look like an average winter day here.  :whistling:

Quote:I'm not sure if there's black ice under the snow, but as someone from Wisconsin, those pictures look like an average winter day here.  :whistling:

And up there in wisconsin, you have the equipment to deal with the 'average winter day'.

Move to somewhere like Virginia, and you'll realize just how bad that 'average winter day' can be in other places.  I know President Obama mocked the area when he first came here.  It wasn't long before he changed his mind.

Quote:And up there in wisconsin, you have the equipment to deal with the 'average winter day'.

Move to somewhere like Virginia, and you'll realize just how bad that 'average winter day' can be in other places.  I know President Obama mocked the area when he first came here.  It wasn't long before he changed his mind.

The DC area isn't foreign to snow like more Southern states are, where more than a dusting of snow is a very rare occurrence. That area of the country gets over a foot of snow every year. I understand they don't have the same level of equipment as more Northern states, but that hardly looks like much more than one to two inches.

Back in my day we used to walk to school in blizzards...with drifts up to your eyeballs...uphill...both ways...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:The DC area isn't foreign to snow like more Southern states are, where more than a dusting of snow is a very rare occurrence. That area of the country gets over a foot of snow every year. I understand they don't have the same level of equipment as more Northern states, but that hardly looks like much more than one to two inches.

Given that I live around the DC area, I know what they have.  Snow isn't foreign, but it's also not a given in any year either.  

One to two inches can easily shut down roads around here.  

Quote:Back in my day we used to walk to school in blizzards...with drifts up to your eyeballs...uphill...both ways...

You forgot to add barefooted
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:You forgot to add barefooted
I just thought that was assumed...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I just thought that was assumed...

nope...I was starting to think you were a wimp for wearing shoes! Big Grin
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Lol @ Fairfax --- That's what you get when you claim to have the #1 public school system in the country (and the highest paid teachers).  I used to live up there for 15 years !!

Give me Duval & some good HS Football.

The previous year citizens became upset when the students had to make up the time lost during incliment weather, so this year they didnt close and felt worse backlash then had they closed the schools.  I guess they learned it is far better to side with safety of the children then parents being upset with summer vacation plans having to change.