Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lets talk about Frank Frangie (and how terrible he is at his job as play by play man)

It just doesn't come naturally to him - he tries. He just doesn't have the right voice and it sounds fabricated and like others said the excitement sounds phony. I think JP Shadrick would do better. He has a great radio voice.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It just doesn't come naturally to him - he tries. He just doesn't have the right voice and it sounds fabricated and like others said the excitement sounds phony. I think JP Shadrick would do better. He has a great radio voice.
shadrick does have that calm demeanor that I can listen to and follow easily... agreed, he wouldn't a bad fill for the job

Quote:TV broadcast and Radio broadcast are off by about 8 or so seconds.

Yes, I know that, but my question has to do with the radio delay at the stadium while I'm watching the game in person. Up until last Sunday, the game was broadcast as it happened on the field. Now there's a delay, so the radio is 15 seconds or so behind the live action, which renders listening to headphones at the stadium useless.

Quote:Yes, I know that, but my question has to do with the radio delay at the stadium while I'm watching the game in person. Up until last Sunday, the game was broadcast as it happened on the field. Now there's a delay, so the radio is 15 seconds or so behind the live action, which renders listening to headphones at the stadium useless.

It's not useless at all.  In the stadium you still have your eyes.  However, there's a lot more information you can get listening to the broadcast along with the game.

Injuries, stats, etc, etc... there's a wealth of information you get from the radio broadcast that the delay has zero impact on.

I don't see how anyone who's ever tried it, can do without it.  To me, it's a necessity.  I'd rather not do without the additional information.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The point is the delay is unnecessary and obviously a failure on somebody's part. I've listened to every game ever played and it's annoying to see the team trotting off the field when in your ears you hear "Anger punts it away, it's a high spiraling kick, fielded by Thomas at the 23, and taken down at the 25 yard line."

Regards.......................the Chiefjag

Quote:It just doesn't come naturally to him - he tries. He just doesn't have the right voice and it sounds fabricated and like others said the excitement sounds phony. I think JP Shadrick would do better. He has a great radio voice.

I thought JP was very good doing Suns broadcasts. I wonder how he'd sound doing football? I wonder how much a shift in gears doing football would require. I'd like to hear him give it a try.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:That I agree with.   The best word I can use to describe Frangie is phony.   He's acting.  

But I understand why they hired him.  He has the afternoon drive time radio show, so by hiring him, they were basically buying the local media.   He's on the payroll now, so we get more positive coverage.  They also bought Ballou at the same time.   And Mike Dempsey- they gave him a 2 hour show with a studio in the stadium.    Lamping  and his staff are pretty smart.  They know how to sell tickets, and that includes getting positive coverage from the local media. 
They weren't buying the local media.  The team got more money from 7 Bridges to put Frangie in that seat.  It was a financial decision once Sexton had taken the job with the Jaguars.  The Jags actually made money on the deal just so 1010XL could put one of their owners in that spot as the play by play voice.

The good news is that from what I understand, there's a 1 year out in the contract to ditch him if it doesn't pan out.  I listen to the radio broadcasts when I'm at the games.  He's horrible.  Someone said Sexton was fake with his excitement.  I never sensed that.  What I do know is that any excitement Frangie shows is strained and as phony as it gets.  He might as well not even be watching the game, but reading a script. 

The funny thing is that Frangie spends as little time actually covering the team as he possibly could and still be called the play by play guy.  He's rarely, if ever at practices.  He's not in the locker room.  He shows up on game day and does his bit.  At least with Sexton, you knew he was there, knew the players, and had access and insight that kept things interesting.  Frangie offers nothing of that in his broadcasts because he's simply not there.  The play by play gig is a part time thing as far as he's concerned.  The longest he's spent with the team is when they went to London, and I'm sure he and his wife went off sight seeing away from the team the majority of the time. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The point is the delay is unnecessary and obviously a failure on somebody's part. I've listened to every game ever played and it's annoying to see the team trotting off the field when in your ears you hear "Anger punts it away, it's a high spiraling kick, fielded by Thomas at the 23, and taken down at the 25 yard line."

Regards.......................the Chiefjag
I notice the delay more at the games if I'm listening to the AM broadcast, and even on their FM station (92.5).  If I flip over to the simulcast they're doing on 99.1, it's far closer to real time.  Maybe a tick off, but not nearly as bad as the other stations.

WOKV had a problem with that too, but it was usually the result of them not disabling the delay coming out of the pregame and into the game itself.  I know someone who would call Joe Fortunado from the game and let him know the delay was on, and within a commercial break, they were back in synch.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Frangie is horrible. He so obviously does not like the Jaguars, even though he tries to pretend like he's okay with us.

He needs to go to Pittsburgh where he'll be home.

He's Awful

Quote:I thought JP was very good doing Suns broadcasts. I wonder how he'd sound doing football? I wonder how much a shift in gears doing football would require. I'd like to hear him give it a try.
I didn't know he did Suns game. Even more reason then.

I was floored when they announced Frangie as the play by play and too bad for him, this just isn't in his wheel house. What it sounds like is he's doing an impersonation of a play by play, it's awkward to listen to.

Quote:I didn't know he did Suns game. Even more reason then.

I was floored when they announced Frangie as the play by play and too bad for him, this just isn't in his wheel house. What it sounds like is he's doing an impersonation of a play by play, it's awkward to listen to.

This level of awkward.

[Image: steve11711.gif]

Quote:This level of awkward.

[Image: steve11711.gif]

Exactly.

Quote:I didn't know he did Suns game. Even more reason then.

That's a good way to put it.  He's basically faking it for the microphones.  Years ago they did a bit in the stadium where people would sit in a tent before the games and do the play call for a big Jaguars play, and the best of those would wind up on the jumbos during the game.  There were people who participated in this, including small children, who sounded more authentic than Frangie.

JP Shadrick did great p-b-p for the Suns in the day.  He's also a really good guy.  He'd probably do very well in that seat for the Jags.  Unfortunately, he's an employee of the Jaguars, and the contract for the p-b-p position is owned by 7 Bridges. 

They paid a premium to get Frangie plugged in there.  I don't expect to see him relinquish that without a fight.  It'll be up to the Jags to evaluate the situation when the season is over, and for them to determine if they're satisfied with the product in the booth.  One thing is for sure, the only person on the planet who could make Tony Boselli tolerable in the radio booth is Frank Frangie. 

Quote:One thing is for sure, the only person on the planet who could make Tony Boselli tolerable in the radio booth is Frank Frangie.

Speaking of Boselli, his gravy rant last night on Jaguars Monday was hilarious! It's as if every time he thinks about gravy he loses his mind.

Quote:Speaking of Boselli, his gravy rant last night on Jaguars Monday was hilarious! It's as if every time he thinks about gravy he loses his mind.
That was the worst few minutes of radio I've ever heard. He said the word gravy so many times in a few minute span that it started to lose its meaning.

Quote:That's a good way to put it.  He's basically faking it for the microphones.  Years ago they did a bit in the stadium where people would sit in a tent before the games and do the play call for a big Jaguars play, and the best of those would wind up on the jumbos during the game.  There were people who participated in this, including small children, who sounded more authentic than Frangie.

JP Shadrick did great p-b-p for the Suns in the day.  He's also a really good guy.  He'd probably do very well in that seat for the Jags.  Unfortunately, he's an employee of the Jaguars, and the contract for the p-b-p position is owned by 7 Bridges. 

They paid a premium to get Frangie plugged in there.  I don't expect to see him relinquish that without a fight.  It'll be up to the Jags to evaluate the situation when the season is over, and for them to determine if they're satisfied with the product in the booth.  One thing is for sure, the only person on the planet who could make Tony Boselli tolerable in the radio booth is Frank Frangie. 

Oh my god. I've never been one to listen to the radio at a game as I sit with friends/relatives and we're too busy being geniuses after the fact. But based on all these posts I'll need to give Frangie a listen. It may be entertaining in a cringe-worthy sort of way.

Props to Boselli for all he's done for the Jags pr-wise, but I have a hard time handling him on radio or tv as an "analyst". If Frangie makes him sound good I'm in for a special treat.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.