Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How old were you (or your kids) when you learned 'The Truth'

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014, 11:32 PM by Adam2012.)

Quote:??????!?!

See the post a few up - from JVillain. (# 37)

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I chalk it up to them just not fully understanding the American Christmas culture, I know lots of other first generation families that never did the Santa thing. 

Hmm - never really thought of it, but perhaps that's one key sign of assimilation: belief in Santa Claus. Ho ho ho. 

In the spirit of the thread, from the 1976 Mad Magazine Christmas Issue..........

[Image: Sidewalk_zps2a5f944f.jpg]

Wants to join the "cereal box" dating service. I've dated enough flakes and nuts...all I want is the prize now.
[Image: mds111.jpg]

Quote:Hmm - never really thought of it, but perhaps that's one key sign of assimilation: belief in Santa Claus. Ho ho ho. 

I don't know about that, I'm just saying neither of my Parents grew up with Santa Clause so it wasn't something they really understood when they started having kids. Same goes for all of my cousins. I believe all of us have done the Santa thing with out kids so it's a culture thing.

In Columbia it was a little different during the 50's then over here.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Interesting. I wonder how many parents have made such a decision?

The peer pressure among parents regarding Santa Clause is pretty intense, so most just go with the flow. I don't recall having any friends as kids who weren't believers, at least for a while.

What peer pressure is there?  I do it with my son because its fun for him.  I don't do it because of other people.

Quote:I don't know about that, I'm just saying neither of my Parents grew up with Santa Clause so it wasn't something they really understood when they started having kids. Same goes for all of my cousins. I believe all of us have done the Santa thing with out kids so it's a culture thing.

I can see a first generation family that didn't grow up with Santa not totally buying in.  I just know as a kid that Santa gave a special meaning. 

Quote:I don't know about that, I'm just saying neither of my Parents grew up with Santa Clause so it wasn't something they really understood when they started having kids. Same goes for all of my cousins. I believe all of us have done the Santa thing with out kids so it's a culture thing.

You're Columbian?  :blink:

Quote:What peer pressure is there?  I do it with my son because its fun for him.  I don't do it because of other people.

The peer pressure is that by not doing it you are taking the chance of disappointing your kid, as it's fun for him, and all the other kids he knows.

Unless you're Jewish - but even then they often feel they have to make certain accommodations with the majority culture.

At least that's how it was in my neighborhood. I also know a couple, parents of two, who toyed with the idea of "saying no to the Santa idea" as they were bummed out about the whole overwhelming materialism, etc. Well, they didn't say no to Santa. They just couldn't do it, for a variety of reasons.

The kids turned out fine. Both seem normal and ok to me, as far as I can tell.

Quote:You're Columbian?  :blink:

My Mom's side, My dad is from Wawa

Quote:The peer pressure is that by not doing it you are taking the chance of disappointing your kid, as it's fun for him, and all the other kids he knows.

Unless you're Jewish - but even then they often feel they have to make certain accommodations with the majority culture.

At least that's how it was in my neighborhood. I also know a couple, parents of two, who toyed with the idea of "saying no to the Santa idea" as they were bummed out about the whole overwhelming materialism, etc. Well, they didn't say no to Santa. They just couldn't do it, for a variety of reasons.

I don't see how thats peer pressure, but to each their own.  I know I enjoyed it as a kid and I want to continue the trend.  The rest of my neighborhood could shut Santa out and I would continue to do it.

Quote:My Mom's side, My dad is from Wawa

Your picture is kinda small but I would have never guessed you're half Columbian. I have no idea what Wawa is.

Do you ever plan on visiting your Mom's hometown or anything?

Quote:The peer pressure is that by not doing it you are taking the chance of disappointing your kid, as it's fun for him, and all the other kids he knows.

I understand what you're getting at and I agree there is some of that to a small degree.

Actually sitting here thinking about it as I type this, I feel that way to a small degree because I don't decorate for Christmas.

Quote:Your picture is kinda small but I would have never guessed you're half Columbian. I have no idea what Wawa is.

Do you ever plan on visiting your Mom's hometown or anything?

Laughing I don't look anything like my Mom's side, my sisters however they got the Spanish Skin. My mom's never even been back, they left Columbia when the cartels started taking over and pretty much burning everything to the ground. Ended up in Puerto Rico and then 10 years later became Citizens and moved to Tampa. 

Wawa is a small community in Ontario don't know much about it they moved around Canada for a while before ending up in Tampa. I know my Dad said they didn't become citizens until he was in his late teens, he talked about having a green card through most of school. It's safe to say I look more like my Dad's side. 

Quote:Laughing I don't look anything like my Mom's side, my sisters however they got the Spanish Skin. My mom's never even been back, they left Columbia when the cartels started taking over and pretty much burning everything to the ground. Ended up in Puerto Rico and then 10 years later became Citizens and moved to Tampa.

Wawa is a small community in Ontario don't know much about it they moved around Canada for a while before ending up in Tampa. I know my Dad said they didn't become citizens until he was in his late teens, he talked about having a green card through most of school. It's safe to say I look more like my Dad's side.

Hold on there a minute bubbalooey...weren't you complaining about 'northerners' in another thread?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Hold on there a minute bubbalooey...weren't you complaining about 'northerners' in another thread?

Hey, it's southern Canada.

Hmm - that Columbian/Canadian mixture. Probably don't see that every day. 

Quote:Hold on there a minute bubbalooey...weren't you complaining about 'northerners' in another thread?

I was born and raised in North Central Florida, This is all I know.

Quote:You know, about [spoiler]Santa[/spoiler]

I'm curious, because my kids are getting to the age where they'll soon be in on the secret.  I was ten when I learned, and my wife was four when she learned (her older sister spoiled it for her)  And my wife thinks it's time we stop putting up the facade.  While I want to keep it going.  

So how old were you (or your kids), and how did you find out?  Did you learn on your own?  Did a sibling or parent tell you?  Did you tell your kids?  Let them find out on their own?

I was ten, and my mom told me.  
Sadly I found out this year yet the Jaguars suck....

I kept lying to myself... but its the truth...

Oh well we always have hope each year due to the draft...

Oh wait you meant Ole Saint Nick didnt you?  Why do you think he's not real?

Quote:What peer pressure is there?  I do it with my son because its fun for him.  I don't do it because of other people.

That's what I was asking, and got no response.

Methinks someone isn't a parent and has a very, very strange (and inaccurate) view of the world.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."