Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Whitehouse.gov website update

Quote:Spanish option disabled.. blah blah rabble rabble
Good.  Our official language is English.  That's the language that U.S. citizens speak.

Quote:How did that whole conversation you had with your family member and co workers go about how they already had all the same rights as straight people and didn't need equality? Surely that came up.

About the same as on here.

I have a brother and a cousin who are both gay.  The whole thing that they were fighting for and up in a tizzy about was being able to "marry" their partner for LEGAL purposes.  We talked about "civil unions" and why that would be a good thing.  That way they could benefit from certain medical and legal problems that they run into.  The difference is when the term for that became "marriage" rather than "civil union".  Now in my case, we were all raised catholic and we all believe that under the catholic religion, marriage is sacred.

Where the disconnect was is the term used.  I personally believe that the term marriage defines a union between a man and a woman.  What the real problem is is the separation of the term "marriage"  between religious and legal meaning.  In my opinion, the term "marriage" should be reserved for people of any faith (or lack thereof) and should be replaced in law with the term "civil union".

As an example.  For me being a man of faith, when my wife and I got MARRIED, we did so in a church with the priest doing the ritual of our vows.  After the ceremony we all (the priest, my wife and I) had to sign a legal document that right now is called a "Certificate of Marriage".  Simply change the legal document to "Certificate of Legal Union" and the problem is solved.

After that, people can say that they are "married" regardless of faith or lack thereof.  As far as the government there was a civil union that took place which is gender-neutral.  My gay brother and gay cousin both agreed with me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Good.  Our official language is English.  That's the language that U.S. citizens speak.

About the same as on here.

I have a brother and a cousin who are both gay.  The whole thing that they were fighting for and up in a tizzy about was being able to "marry" their partner for LEGAL purposes.  We talked about "civil unions" and why that would be a good thing.  That way they could benefit from certain medical and legal problems that they run into.  The difference is when the term for that became "marriage" rather than "civil union".  Now in my case, we were all raised catholic and we all believe that under the catholic religion, marriage is sacred.

Where the disconnect was is the term used.  I personally believe that the term marriage defines a union between a man and a woman.  What the real problem is is the separation of the term "marriage"  between religious and legal meaning.  In my opinion, the term "marriage" should be reserved for people of any faith (or lack thereof) and should be replaced in law with the term "civil union".

As an example.  For me being a man of faith, when my wife and I got MARRIED, we did so in a church with the priest doing the ritual of our vows.  After the ceremony we all (the priest, my wife and I) had to sign a legal document that right now is called a "Certificate of Marriage".  Simply change the legal document to "Certificate of Legal Union" and the problem is solved.

After that, people can say that they are "married" regardless of faith or lack thereof.  As far as the government there was a civil union that took place which is gender-neutral.  My gay brother and gay cousin both agreed with me.

That would never work, it doesn't damage the religious institution in any way. Can't have that.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:That would never work, it doesn't damage the religious institution in any way. Can't have that.

That's another thing.  Anything to do with religion "offends" liberals.  I've never understood why so many are against it.  I know this is walking the fine line regarding the board CoC, but I've seen it here so much from a few.  Yet anything that is "anti-religion" to them is alright.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.