Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is this the year we finally use some real cap money?

Sign Suh draft Leonard Williams and put them next to Sen'Derrick Watt. Best D-Line in the league.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Sign Suh draft Leonard Williams and put them next to Sen'Derrick Watt. Best D-Line in the league.

This is what I want to happen. Our run stop would be very impressive. Williams, Marks, Suh, Bryant

Quote:We have to.  I believe next year is the last year to average 89%, correct?  We'll have to spend into our rollover cap space by league rules if I'm not mistaken.

It's not that simple.   Apparently we have four years in which we have to average 89%.  

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/2/13/398...er-the-cba

"Specifically, over the next four seasons (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016), each team will be required to spend, at a minimum, 89% IN CASH of the salary cap over that 4-year period. By way of example, if the salary cap for the next 4 seasons is $120M, $125M, $130M, and $140M ($515M total), each club is required to spend $458.35M (i.e. 89%) in cash over that 4-year period."

"For teams with proven, young players still performing under their modest rookie contracts, offering substantial signing bonuses as part of a contract extension is one way to more readily achieve the required 89% threshold spending, even though the team may otherwise appear to be inactive during Free Agency. Fans of these teams may be wondering, "But I thought they had to spend money!?!". Yes, each team must spend 89% of the Salary Cap in Cash over the course of the next four (4) seasons, and a couple of large signing bonuses doled out in each of these seasons can go a long way toward achieving the required 89% cash spending threshold."

Say, for example, we decide we want to do contract extensions for some of our young players in 2016.   The signing bonus, although it does not all count on the cap that season, would all count as "cash spent."   So if we offer Blake Bortles a contract extension with a $50 million signing bonus, that would go a long way towards the overall spending requirement for 2013 through 2016.  

Personally, I think the Jaguars are managing their cap wisely.   They obviously want to draft and develop rather than sign high priced free agents.  But if you successfully draft and develop, you have to sign those guys to expensive new contracts as some point.   Look waht happened to Seattle- they had to let go of Red Bryant and Chris Clemons to stay under the cap.   The Jags have a lot of good young players playing under cheap rookie contracts right now, like Denard Robinson or Allen Robinson or Linder or Bowanko, and they will have to be given extensions at some point in the near future.   If we keep our powder dry, we will have the cap room to re-sign all these guys. 

Quote:It's not that simple.   Apparently we have four years in which we have to average 89%.  

"Specifically, over the next four seasons (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016), each team will be required to spend, at a minimum, 89% IN CASH of the salary cap over that 4-year period. By way of example, if the salary cap for the next 4 seasons is $120M, $125M, $130M, and $140M ($515M total), each club is required to spend $458.35M (i.e. 89%) in cash over that 4-year period."

"For teams with proven, young players still performing under their modest rookie contracts, offering substantial signing bonuses as part of a contract extension is one way to more readily achieve the required 89% threshold spending, even though the team may otherwise appear to be inactive during Free Agency. Fans of these teams may be wondering, "But I thought they had to spend money!?!". Yes, each team must spend 89% of the Salary Cap in Cash over the course of the next four (4) seasons, and a couple of large signing bonuses doled out in each of these seasons can go a long way toward achieving the required 89% cash spending threshold."

Say, for example, we decide we want to do contract extensions for some of our young players in 2016.   The signing bonus, although it does not all count on the cap that season, would all count as "cash spent."   So if we offer Blake Bortles a contract extension with a $50 million signing bonus, that would go a long way towards the overall spending requirement for 2013 through 2016.  

Personally, I think the Jaguars are managing their cap wisely.   They obviously want to draft and develop rather than sign high priced free agents.  But if you successfully draft and develop, you have to sign those guys to expensive new contracts as some point.   Look waht happened to Seattle- they had to let go of Red Bryant and Chris Clemons to stay under the cap.   The Jags have a lot of good young players playing under cheap rookie contracts right now, like Denard Robinson or Allen Robinson or Linder or Bowanko, and they will have to be given extensions at some point in the near future.   If we keep our powder dry, we will have the cap room to re-sign all these guys. 
Nice to see some common sense on this message board. 

Quote:It's not that simple.   Apparently we have four years in which we have to average 89%.  

Very good explanation.

I get amused when I see people saying "we have all of this cap space, let's spend some money"!  It reminds me of the saying "burning a hole in your pocket".  Just because you have some money available, it doesn't mean that the smart move is to run right out and spend it willy nilly.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:This is what I want to happen. Our run stop would be very impressive. Williams, Marks, Suh, Bryant
that wouldn't be the line up because Williams isn't a LEO. He'd rotate out with Bryant and can be used as a 3-tech more than Bryant. It would be Branch/Davis/Clemons-Suh/Miller/Hood-Marks/Alualu-Bryant/Williams

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Actually Suh can play 1-tech and take Roy Millers spot and have them rotate. Marks would play 3-tech and Clemons as LEO and Williams as the 5-tech(JJ WATT all over the line)

So Clemons Marks Suh Williams

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM by BritishJag.)

Devin McCourty is a FA this year. If the Pats don't get a deal done with him I can see the Jags going after him to play FS.

A better list of FA's:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/

A few others guys I'd like on the roster:

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Cincy

Justin Houston, OLB, KC

My mistake, I didn't look it up at the time, but I thought 2015 was the 4th year and not 2016.  The premise is still the same, we're on pace to be far below 89% with salary caps of 123, 133, 140 (estimate), and 150 (estimate).  We have all of our starters under contract up until the 2017 season with the exception of 5 players; Marcedes Lewis, Andre Branch, Austin Pasztor, Alan Ball, and one of our Ottos.  We have to spend roughly 486 out of 546 million dollars over the 4 year period between 2013-2016 to reach 89%.  We've spent 247 million and have most of our starters locked up.  That means we have to add 239 million to our roster over 2 years. 

We'll probably add $20 million or so through the draft.  Even if we reupped the pending free agent starters for $10 million per year (very unlikely), that's another $70 million.  Then, let's say we decide to give 5 more of our players $10 million per year extensions next season, that's another $100 million (and that's creative contract working).  That still leaves us in a highly unlikely scenario where we grossly overpaid 12 players on our roster (we currently have 2-3) and we'd still have $57 million to spend over 2 years just to reach the floor.

Either this coming free agency or the next, we have to spend a lot.  

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM by thunderbuns.)

Quote:Devin McCourty is a FA this year. If the Pats don't get a deal done with him I can see the Jags going after him to play FS.

A better list of FA's:
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/'>http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/</a>

A few others guys I'd like on the roster:

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Cincy

Justin Houston, OLB, KC
Justin Houston is that guy. If he hits the market, send Khan Air to KC to get him and don't let him leave.