Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB Competition: Blowing Smoke

Quote:This is the pure truth. Teams can focus on player development now because they don't have to give a player drafted 3rd overall 50 million guaranteed anymore. Teams can focus on drafting the player and not the position which comes with those lofty expectations.

Sam Bradford had to be played from day one because he was paid like Tom and Peyton were. In 2014 Bortles can sit because he's paid like a bottom third qb. Hugh difference in sitting that type of money on the bench for a year.

I don't think the purpose of the Rookie wage scale's intention was for player development. It's a tradeoff for veterans while sacrificing poor rookies interests. The consequences are not good for most average NFL players, since they will be replaced by cheap labors soon. Of course, owners come out a big winners.

I expect to see Bortles on the field this season. I do hope the team can sit him as long as possible to give him time to learn and adjust to NFL football. In reality, he probably will be thrown to the wolves sooner rather than later.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I guess I'm just the minority here. But I guess it wrong for me to expect a third overall pick to beat out AND start over a seat warmer. But that's just me.
he will beat him out but he's still not gonna start. That's the point the majority is trying to get across. We want to let the rest of the team develop first.

Quote:I don't think the purpose of the Rookie wage scale's intention was for player development. It's a tradeoff for veterans while sacrificing poor rookies interests. The consequences are not good for most average NFL players, since they will be replaced by cheap labors soon. Of course, owners come out a big winners.

I expect to see Bortles on the field this season. I do hope the team can sit him as long as possible to give him time to learn and adjust to NFL football. In reality, he probably will be thrown to the wolves sooner rather than later.

Not saying that was the purpose of the wage scale. It is a by product of the wage scale. Teams aren't forced to draft certain positions because of the "mandatory" money they are to pay because of their draft slot. They don't have to justify playing a player because they are being payed so much. If you go back and look at the drafts since and before you will get the general since that there has been a change in player drafting philosophies because of it. Top 5 picks aren't reserved for premium positions anymore because the amount of money is taken out if the equation.

Now does that mean the players will benefit from it, of course not but from a GM player acquisition stand point it has been a God send.

Quote:Not saying that was the purpose of the wage scale. It is a by product of the wage scale. Teams aren't forced to draft certain positions because of the "mandatory" money they are to pay because of their draft slot. They don't have to justify playing a player because they are being payed so much. If you go back and look at the drafts since and before you will get the general since that there has been a change in player drafting philosophies because of it. Top 5 picks aren't reserved for premium positions anymore because the amount of money is taken out if the equation.

Now does that mean the players will benefit from it, of course not but from a GM player acquisition stand point it has been a God send.
There may not be a single rookie QB starting at the beginning of the year. How long since that has happened?

It seems like so many of these rookie starters that were considered phenoms continued their career as underwhelming or extremely inconsistent.

I like the Aaron Rodgers model. The guy is as consistent as they come.I have no problem with a guy sitting if it turns him into the consummate professional for the next decade.

Quote:There may not be a single rookie QB starting at the beginning of the year. How long since that has happened?

It seems like so many of these rookie starters that were considered phenoms continued their career as underwhelming or extremely inconsistent.

I like the Aaron Rodgers model. The guy is as consistent as they come.I have no problem with a guy sitting if it turns him into the consummate professional for the next decade.

NOEZMUSTSTARTIMMEDZIADTLEYZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:NOEZMUSTSTARTIMMEDZIADTLEYZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice avatar.  It must have pained you a lot.

[Image: 422x476xJaguars-New-Helmet-5.jpg.pagespe...ZC5-Uc.jpg]

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Quote:There may not be a single rookie QB starting at the beginning of the year. How long since that has happened?

I agree

Dave Caldwell has Blowin smoke by Kacey Musgraves playing in the background when he says Bortles will sit for a year.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Dave Caldwell has Blowin smoke by Kacey Musgraves playing in the background when he says Bortles will sit for a year.
I like kacey musgraves

Ryan Tannehill beat out Matt Moore as a rookie. Bortles >Tannehill and Henne<Moore. Our offense is no worse than the 2012 Dolphins offense, and Tannehill survived and doesn't seem to be ruined. I can still see it working out both ways.

Quote:Ryan Tannehill beat out Matt Moore as a rookie. Bortles >Tannehill and Henne<Moore. Our offense is no worse than the 2012 Dolphins offense, and Tannehill survived and doesn't seem to be ruined. I can still see it working out both ways.

It's just to many moving parts that need to be worked out. I'm sure Miami wasn't as uncertain at their center position as we are as well as starting 2 rookie wideouts

I see Bortles starting at least the last 2-3 games...probably more than that.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 05:20 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:It's just to many moving parts that need to be worked out. I'm sure Miami wasn't as uncertain at their center position as we are as well as starting 2 rookie wideouts

They had Pouncey, so they were better at Center. We're better at Tackle, they had a rookie Johnathan Martin starting at LT. Cecil Shorts would have been the best WR on that team, their #1 was Devon Bess, their #2 was Brian Hartline. Behind those 2 they had a group of young guys none of whom had the talent or potential of Lee or Robinson. There wasn't a TE worth mentioning on that roster, so Marcedes would have started there. They did have Reggie Bush in the backfield, but at that time he was only slightly more proven than Gerhart and had yet to have a 1000 yard season or stay healthy.

Quote:They had Pouncey, so they were better at Center. We're better at Tackle, they had a rookie Johnathan Martin starting at LT. Cecil Shorts would have been the best WR on that team, their #1 was Devon Bess, their #2 was Brian Hartline. Behind those 2 they had a group of young guys none of whom had the talent or potential of Lee or Robinson. There wasn't a TE worth mentioning on that roster, so Marcedes would have started there. They did have Reggie Bush in the backfield, but at that time he was only slightly more proven than Gerhart and had yet to have a 1000 yard season or stay healthy.

The argument isn't if the overall talent is better the point is there is a lot of new pieces mainly rookies. There is a lot of new scheme being implemented them throwing on top of that at least three rookies and new center and a second year LT who's basically a rookie. 4 new starters on the online.

This list can keep going. Tannehill had more stability around him. Our talent may be better in the long run but you can't overlook the mental and professional aspect of all of this.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 05:50 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:The argument isn't if the overall talent is better the point is there is a lot of new pieces mainly rookies. There is a lot of new scheme being implemented them throwing on top of that at least three rookies and new center and a second year LT who's basically a rookie. 4 new starters on the online.

This list can keep going. Tannehill had more stability around him. Our talent may be better in the long run but you can't overlook the mental and professional aspect of all of this.
The Dolphins had a first year head coach in Joe Philbin and a GM in Jeff Ireland with one foot out the door, IIRC. Bortles is coming into a much more stable organization. Still, I see what you and others are saying, and I certainly won't be upset if Bortles sits. I just also won't be worried that he will be ruined if he starts week 1, and honestly that is what I'm rooting for.

Quote:The argument isn't if the overall talent is better the point is there is a lot of new pieces mainly rookies. There is a lot of new scheme being implemented them throwing on top of that at least three rookies and new center and a second year LT who's basically a rookie. 4 new starters on the online.

exactly.

There is no QB competition. Bortles won the competition the second he was drafted. Henne is just a placeholder for the time being.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."