Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles and Storm

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM by UCFBuc.)

Hey guys, UCF alum (2004) and lifetime Bucs fan here. But, I come in peace!

First off, I just wanted to issue my congratulations on drafting both Blake and Storm! Truth be told, I was hoping beyond all hope that Blake would fall to #7 where the Bucs could potentially draft him. But, obviously that did not work out. Kudos to your scouting/management department for having the gumption and intelligence to draft him when all the "talking experts" were not classifying him as a "franchise quarterback." Let me tell you, as one who has watched (and re-watched) many all of his collegiate games, this guy is the real deal. Of course, he does have a few shortcomings, but rarely is anyone perfect. Nevertheless, he is extremely coachable and one of the best players I have ever seen play at UCF (which includes Daunte Culpepper, Brandon Marshall, etc.) 

Now, I am sure you have researched Blake, and read about him ad nauseum by now. But, trust me this guy has qualities that are not always tangible. He never, and I mean NEVER was shaken by anything. He would get hit rather hard at times, and it only seemed to make him play better, he loves contact. He always keeps his cool and remained level headed, yet exuded great leadership qualities.  He also has the often sought, and rarely found "it" factor. Countless times our team was trailing, and he always somehow, found a way to get the win. Others may view this as a detriment saying: "why weren't they beating this bad team by a bunch in the first place?" Whereas I see it as being clutch, again, having that "it" factor. If you have not seen the highlights by now, I strongly suggest checking out his game winning drive in Louisville, his highlights playing in Happy Valley, and the comeback against both Temple and USF. 

On top of his amazing athleticism, ability to extend plays, and vision, he, at heart is a competitor and very classy guy. I had the luxury of meeting his parents while tailgating at the UCF vs. ECU game in Greenville, NC and they were wonderful people. It is no surprise then, that Blake is a smart guy with a good head on his shoulders. Yet, he always has played and seems to play with a chip on his shoulder: whether that is a result of him not being recruited by colleges, not starting right away at UCF, or having all this bogus Manziel talk, rest-assured he will come to learn or play. Again, congratulations on (hopefully) the draft pick that will change, for the positive, the future of your franchise. You all at least have gained an admirer (sorry can't go full time, my heart still belongs to my beloved Bucs) but I will watch with vested interest. 

Lastly, Storm is a great running back, and an absolute STEAL in the 7th round, I'm not sure why he dropped so much unless it is because he pulled his hammy at his pro day workout. Anyway, the only issue really with him are two things: one, his fumbling, and two his occasional desire to try and get extra yardage by going back up stream that would every once-in-a-while blow up in his face. Other than that he has great vision, hands, and speed, despite what his measurables might say. 

Sorry, I have talked your ears off enough, if you have any questions about these two from a die-hard UCF fan, feel free to ask away and I will try to answer the best I can. Once again, a sincere congratulations, and good luck in the future. May Blake and Storm be the genesis to a Jaguars franchise that can be coined "dynasty" and you all play the Bucs for the next 15 Super Bowls in a row.  :pirate:

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well now what about Storm? Fill me in on this guy

Sorry, your message boards work a little different than the one's I'm used to so it posted before I finished writing it up. He's a good kid and a team player, if you want even more detail I would be happy to share. 

Welcome to the craziest NFL team board, UCF Buc. I totally understand the part about hoping he would be a Buccaneer. As a lifelong Buckeyes fan, I always hope the Jaguars sign an Ohio State guy.

I think all of the "talking experts" believe Blake Bortles can be a franchise quarterback down the road but labeled him as a "developmental player" who needs to redshirt his rookie year like Cincinnati's Carson Palmer did. General manager David Caldwell agrees and already announced Bortles will be the backup this year, then start in 2015. When Palmer did that, he led the Bengals to a division title in just his second season as a starter, so I think that is the right way to do it.

I had never heard of Storm Johnson until he was drafted. When I heard that name I got him confused with Ohio State's Storm Klein and thought he is a Buckeye. I think it is neat that two guys played at the same college and remained teammates during their NFL careers.

Quote:Sorry, your message boards work a little different than the one's I'm used to so it posted before I finished writing it up. He's a good kid and a team player, if you want even more detail I would be happy to share. 

The only reason I can think of for that is you clicked the wrong button. Luckily you can edit the post if that happens again.

Yes, tell us more about Storm Johnson. Was he expected to be a seventh round pick?:

Quote:Welcome to the craziest NFL team board, UCF Buc. I totally understand the part about hoping he would be a Buccaneer. As a lifelong Buckeyes fan, I always hope the Jaguars sign an Ohio State guy.

I think all of the "talking experts" believe Blake Bortles can be a franchise quarterback down the road but labeled him as a "developmental player" who needs to redshirt his rookie year like Cincinnati's Carson Palmer did. General manager David Caldwell agrees and already announced Bortles will be the backup this year, then start in 2015. When Palmer did that, he led the Bengals to a division title in just his second season as a starter, so I think that is the right way to do it.

I had never heard of Storm Johnson until he was drafted. When I heard that name I got him confused with Ohio State's Storm Klein and thought he is a Buckeye. I think it is neat that two guys played at the same college and remained teammates during their NFL careers.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I am not opposed to him sitting for a year (he did that essentially at UCF too). Like I said, he is extremely coachable, and a smart kid. Unfortunately, there might be some pressure to start him, as we know with the NFL, there often is not much patience to go around. Ideally, it would be great if he could get his first start next year, with a year in this system. Overall, it seems like the Jags had a great draft, at least on paper. Johnson was a transfer from Miami, and his sophomore year he ran well, but this past year he seemed to step up to another level. Maybe that late rise also didn't have him on other draft boards. Personally, I thought Storm could have benefited from another collegiate year, but seeing him and Blake reunited should be fun.

Quote:The only reason I can think of for that is you clicked the wrong button. Luckily you can edit the post if that happens again.

Yes, tell us more about Storm Johnson. Was he expected to be a seventh round pick?:
I'm not sure, I had originally thought 4th-5th rounds, but forget where I saw that. Also, his position of running back is something to keep in mind as the first RB off the board didn't go until pick 57 (I think?) Either way, George O'Leary's (head coach for UCF) typical philosiphy is to sit down with the players and inform them of where they might be drafted and look at all the factors should they decide to declare. I am guessing, at least, he had somewhat of an endorsement to do so from O'Leary, otherwise it would have just been silly. If he can stay healthy and work on his fumbling issues I think he'd be a great running back for you.  

What do you think about this guy?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/bl...?track=rss

Welcome to the board fellow alum! I did graduate school at UCF (just finished in December) and had the pleasure of watching Blake and Storm in person several times. I am absolutely ecstatic that they're both with the Jags now!

Just be a Jags fan full-time! Jump on the train! As a UCF alum you're now pretty much obligated to be a Jaguars fan :thumbsup:

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Great to have you on the board! I'm kind of a hybrid central FL north FL fan I grew up in orlando so fsu and the magic are my lifelong teams, I moved to Jacksonville around 97 and have been a jags fan ever since.

Quote:Just be a Jags fan full-time! Jump on the train! As a UCF alum you're now pretty much obligated to be a Jaguars fan.

Not true, Jagsfreak. Former Buckeyes played for the Colts and Titans. Does that mean I should have been a Colts and Titans fan years ago? Obviously not!

That said, I see no reason somebody can't root for two NFL teams that are in different conferences. D6 does that as a Lions fan and I root for the Packers.

Quote:Not true, Jagsfreak. Former Buckeyes played for the Colts and Titans. Does that mean I should have been a Colts and Titans fan years ago? Obviously not!

That said, I see no reason somebody can't root for two NFL teams that are in different conferences. D6 does that as a Lions fan and I root for the Packers.
what happen to the Broncos

Here is what I know about Storm:

1. He strained (not pulled) his hammy at the UCF Pro Day which allowed NO one to see him. 

2. He runs more north/south then ever before.

3. He always carries the ball in his damn right hand.  No matter if it is correct or not.

4. His Left arm is typically away from his body and flailing.  In big game such as UL you can see him motioning blockers with it as he is running.  That won't fly in the NFL.

5. If you fix 3 and 4 you have the RB steal of the draft, if not, he will be David Wilson type guy that has talent, but won't see the field as much as he should, if at all. 

6. He grew up in Loganville GA (outside Atlanta) so Jax is basically dead center between Home (UCF) and Home, Home (Loganville).  Doubt that there is/was a better place for him.  Every Jags fan should hope, pray, beg that you get to see what we in Orlando were able to see last year....damn that [BLEEP] was fun.

Quote:Not true, Jagsfreak. Former Buckeyes played for the Colts and Titans. Does that mean I should have been a Colts and Titans fan years ago? Obviously not!

Hahaha... and you like the Broncos... C'mon now... We've been through this plenty

Quote:Hahaha... and you like the Broncos... C'mon now... We've been through this plenty

...and Packers...Giants...Seahawks....Steelers....Gators....Yankees....

Huh