Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell "wants Cecil Shorts here long term", have had discussions about new deal

Quote:It's due more to the fact that he is expiring than anything else. As already evidenced, Caldwell doesn't seem like a guy too keen on just letting his assets walk for nothing. Better to reach out for an extension now and gauge interest and see what the player/agent are looking to receive. If there is a disagreement, then you begin to make calls around the league.
I don't see this aversion to allowing players to leave in free agency.  That certainly wasn't the case when they allowed guys like MJD to test the market. 

Young players who fit what they want to do who are considered part of the equation are going to get every consideration to get a new deal done.  I don't expect Shorts to be unrealistic in his expectations.  That's never been his style.  I think they'll find a number that he can live with that won't break the team.  They clearly want to retain his services if they're already talking about trying to get a deal done a year in advance.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's due more to the fact that he is expiring than anything else. As already evidenced, Caldwell doesn't seem like a guy too keen on just letting his assets walk for nothing. Better to reach out for an extension now and gauge interest and see what the player/agent are looking to receive. If there is a disagreement, then you begin to make calls around the league.
I'm aware of that, but I still think it's beyond dumb. We need to give him an extension. He has put up solid numbers, while being basically the lone soldier at WR. Think of what he could do with a more seasoned Sanders, as well as the added talent of Lee and Robinson.

Quote:Do you really believe he'll get a new contract this season prior to the trade deadline?  I don't.  I think it is more likely that he gets traded prior to the deadline than gets an extension.

Do you really think we are gonna leave Bortles stuck with two rookie receivers and no veteran presence? Shorts is probably gonna be here a couple years especially with Blackmon's situation.

Quote:Do you really think we are gonna leave Bortles stuck with two rookie receivers and no veteran presence? Shorts is probably gonna be here a couple years especially with Blackmon's situation.

But we might be able to get an extra 5th rounder for him!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I don't see this aversion to allowing players to leave in free agency.  That certainly wasn't the case when they allowed guys like MJD to test the market. 

Young players who fit what they want to do who are considered part of the equation are going to get every consideration to get a new deal done.  I don't expect Shorts to be unrealistic in his expectations.  That's never been his style.  I think they'll find a number that he can live with that won't break the team.  They clearly want to retain his services if they're already talking about trying to get a deal done a year in advance.

MJD didn't have any real trade value. Cecil is much closer to Monroe, both were coming off of their rookie contracts and will command some pretty good value in trade talks. I'm assuming they reached out to Monroe in a similar fashion and they didn't see eye to eye on his value. Caldwell quickly moved on and was able to get a couple of extra picks for him. I'm sure he will follow a similar strategy with Shorts. He won't overpay I can guarantee you of that.

Quote:I'm aware of that, but I still think it's beyond dumb. We need to give him an extension. He has put up solid numbers, while being basically the lone soldier at WR. Think of what he could do with a more seasoned Sanders, as well as the added talent of Lee and Robinson.

His number have been pretty average as far as NFL starting WR's go. Of course we're Jags fans, so an average WR looks to us like an all-pro.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:But we might be able to get an extra 5th rounder for him!
totally..I actually have faith caldwell would turn that into something good but thats not the point... If Blackmon had his act together i'd actually be ok with trading Shorts but that's not the case.

Quote:MJD didn't have any real trade value. Cecil is much closer to Monroe, both were coming off of their rookie contracts and will command some pretty good value in trade talks. I'm assuming they reached out to Monroe in a similar fashion and they didn't see eye to eye on his value. Caldwell quickly moved on and was able to get a couple of extra picks for him. I'm sure he will follow a similar strategy with Shorts. He won't overpay I can guarantee you of that.

His number have been pretty average as far as NFL starting WR's go. Of course we're Jags fans, so an average WR looks to us like an all-pro.
I said solid, I said nothing about all-pro, or even good numbers. The guy has had Gabbert and Henne throwing him the football.

Quote:Do you really think we are gonna leave Bortles stuck with two rookie receivers and no veteran presence? Shorts is probably gonna be here a couple years especially with Blackmon's situation.

Bortles isn't starting this year.  To answer your question, no.

Quote:But we might be able to get an extra 5th rounder for him!

Nobody is suggesting you trade him for that, but if the right offer comes along, you take it. I would do a 2nd-3rd in a second and have to really think hard about doing it for a 4th.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:MJD didn't have any real trade value. Cecil is much closer to Monroe, both were coming off of their rookie contracts and will command some pretty good value in trade talks. I'm assuming they reached out to Monroe in a similar fashion and they didn't see eye to eye on his value. Caldwell quickly moved on and was able to get a couple of extra picks for him. I'm sure he will follow a similar strategy with Shorts. He won't overpay I can guarantee you of that.

What did we get for Monroe?  "Much closer to Monroe" with a concussion history.  Yeah, there's real trade value there.

Sorry, but this message board GM mentality that we have to trade a player while he might still have value when he actually might present MORE value by keeping him is just silly to me.  They didn't reach out to Monroe at all.  No talks at all.  They drafted his replacement, had an opportunity present itself, and they took the best deal they were going to get for a guy they weren't going to retain.

That's the exact opposite of what they're doing here.  If Caldwell is already saying they want to get a deal done, I would expect them to do so. They see him as part of the foundation of this rebuild.  They also see him as the most experienced, most productive NFL receiver currently on the roster.  He's not going anywhere.

They are

I know everyone is big on lee and robinson and so am I.  but until they prove themselves, be nice to have atleast someone proven out there for bortles.

Quote:Bortles isn't starting this year.  To answer your question, no.
I'm aware that's the idea but sometimes plans change.. and also that dosen't change the fact that going into next season minus Shorts you'd still have a receiving core that lacked any real veteran presence.

Quote:Nobody is suggesting you trade him for that, but if the right offer comes along, you take it. I would do a 2nd-3rd in a second and have to really think hard about doing it for a 4th.

You're suggesting we should trade him for what we got for Monroe.  We got a 4th and a 5th for Monroe.  You aren't going to get a 2nd or a 3rd for Shorts.  You won't get multiple picks like you did with Monroe. 

You're willing to take a 4th and play this season with nothing but rookies, and Ace Sanders?  It just gets sillier and sillier.

Quote:Nobody is suggesting you trade him for that, but if the right offer comes along, you take it. I would do a 2nd-3rd in a second and have to really think hard about doing it for a 4th.
A 4th? [Image: facepalm.gif]

Hopefully Dave can get a deal done.  4 yr. 24 mil. would be good for both sides IMO

Quote:Nobody is suggesting you trade him for that, but if the right offer comes along, you take it. I would do a 2nd-3rd in a second and have to really think hard about doing it for a 4th.a 4th

a 4th 

[Image: 1384838106983.gif]

A 4th? [Image: punish.gif]

Quote:You're suggesting we should trade him for what we got for Monroe.  We got a 4th and a 5th for Monroe.  You aren't going to get a 2nd or a 3rd for Shorts.  You won't get multiple picks like you did with Monroe. 

You're willing to take a 4th and play this season with nothing but rookies, and Ace Sanders?  It just gets sillier and sillier.

Quote:A 4th? [Image: facepalm.gif]

Quote:Hopefully Dave can get a deal done.  4 yr. 24 mil. would be good for both sides IMO

Quote:a 4th 

Quote:A 4th? [Image: punish.gif]

I would think long and hard about taking a 4th if it didn't look like retaining him was a possibility