Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
good draft reviews

After all those years of convincing ourselves that grades didn't matter and Gene was actually the smartest guy in the room, it's really nice to see the opposite side. Caldwell isn't trying to impress anyone, hes trying yo bring in good players. And he's doing that by taking guys who were good in college against good competition. Go figure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

From an article on Michael Sam and the least logical trades of the draft(http://grantland.com/features/nfl-draft-...ay-trades/) :

Quote: 

But the Least Logical Trade of the 2014 Draft Belongs To …
… Jacksonville! The Jaguars traded up twice this weekend, first sending the 150th pick to the 49ers for the privilege of moving up from 70 to 61, where they drafted wideout Allen Robinson. The Jags were applauded for finding “weapons” for new quarterback Blake Bortles, but even if Robinson develops into a player, he would theoretically be the third wideout in Jacksonville’s offense behind Cecil Shorts and earlier second-rounder Marqise Lee. And that’s without considering the possibility of Justin Blackmon ever returning. The 49ers, meanwhile, used the pick on center Marcus Martin, who would have filled a much more pressing need for Jacksonville. The Jaguars later sent the 105th and 179th picks to the Patriots for the 93rd pick, where they drafted a much-needed lineman in Brandon Linder.

This seems like small beer — they filled a need and gave up only a pick to do it — but it’s just not logical for a team to give up any picks when it has so many holes up and down the roster. There’s a reason Ted Thompson traded down over and over again when he rebuilt the Green Bay roster. And it’s no coincidence GM Dave Caldwell found trade partners in New England and San Francisco, two franchises that have been taking advantage of their desperate, foolish peers for years. (Seattle traded down three times this weekend, too.) In fact, this is the same sort of mistake Gene Smith repeatedly made during his time as Jaguars general manager, when he traded up over and over again while trading down just once in four seasons.

You can’t fall in love with your board and trade up because you’ve got a second-round grade on a guy who’s available in the third round, especially at the beginning of a rebuild. Randomness and variance swamp knowledge and scouting before a player gets to the NFL. If the Jaguars continue to build otherwise, they’ll continue to field a roster with too many holes filled by replacement-level talent, even if Bortles does develop.

Food for thought.

Quote:From an article on Michael Sam and the least logical trades of the draft(http://grantland.com/features/nfl-draft-...ay-trades/) :

Food for thought.
Considering 5th round picks have much less than a 50% chance of starting, I think they are best used in moving around in the draft to help obtain players who have a much better chance of contributing.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:From an article on Michael Sam and the least logical trades of the draft(http://grantland.com/features/nfl-draft-...ay-trades/) :

Food for thought.

Every move carries risk.

If Robinson and Linder end up not being successful then the moves for them will be seen as mistakes. If those players end up being successful then the moves will be seen as smart.

The Jaguars drafted 9 players. I'd rather have more 2nd and third round talents than 5th and 6th round talents, but we'll see how it works out.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Considering 5th round picks have much less than a 50% chance of starting, I think they are best used in moving around in the draft to help obtain players who have a much better chance of contributing.

Yeah, I bashed Caldwell for that Monroe trade.....now that I see that the picks were used to help get some of the picks we did, I owe Caldwell a mea culpa or will if those players pan out. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Considering 5th round picks have much less than a 50% chance of starting, I think they are best used in moving around in the draft to help obtain players who have a much better chance of contributing.

Quote:Every move carries risk.

If Robinson and Linder end up not being successful then the moves for them will be seen as mistakes. If those players end up being successful then the moves will be seen as smart.

The Jaguars drafted 9 players. I'd rather have more 2nd and third round talents than 5th and 6th round talents, but we'll see how it works out.

Quote:Yeah, I bashed Caldwell for that Monroe trade.....now that I see that the picks were used to help get some of the picks we did, I owe Caldwell a mea culpa or will if those players pan out. 

I'm not saying I agree with the article.  I just haven't seen much, if any, negative press about the Jags' draft, or at least I hadn't until this piece.  Personally, I feel like Caldwell very much has a plan in place and knew exactly what he was doing when he made the trades.  It's of note that all picks he gave up were picks in this draft--he isn't mortgaging the future at all in my opinion.

I actually think he might move a couple more of the Smith-era holdovers.  He might find buyers for Alualu or Lewis for 5ths and 6ths or something.  I mean, if Gabbert gets us a 6th, surely some marginally productive players could get us that, right?

I love the draft, and I feel like Dave is a bit smarter than random guy from Grantland.

Quote:Good point, Bon Jagley. I think it also strengthened people's opinion of our first selection when it came out that at least three other teams planned to pick Bartles.
Sadly they wound up with Jaymes. 

Thank you for your support.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I actually think he might move a couple more of the Smith-era holdovers.  He might find buyers for Alualu or Lewis for 5ths and 6ths or something.  I mean, if Gabbert gets us a 6th, surely some marginally productive players could get us that, right?

I love the draft, and I feel like Dave is a bit smarter than random guy from Grantland.

I do too. But I'd add Shorts to the above list.His contract expires after this season.