Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Looking WAY ahead to the 2015 draft....(Jaguars)

Quote:Since we didn't draft 2 QB in this draft, does anyone hope that we take another QB in next years draft. It doesn't necessarily have to be with the 1st round pick, but just a solid developmental prospect that keeps the pipeline going. 

I don't want us to ever go through a QB "drought" again, and hope we learned from that lesson. 

Drafting QB as sparsely as we had been doing for the 19 years prior to this year helped put us in the UNfortuitous QB position we were in. 

This brings up the whole BAP vs. need argument.  It's too subjective and too speculative.  At this point, I would say no as far as drafting another quarterback, BUT it depends on the draft position and the current state of the team.  Maybe two years from now, depending on how Bortles works out, and I don't think that I would spend a high draft pick.

I think that I would rather have a veteran QB as the backup, possibly someone that was drafted high and didn't work out as a starter, but still solid (kind of like Henne).

However, if your team doesn't have a lot of "needs" and a QB falls to you in the draft that can some day be a "legitimate" starting quarterback, then perhaps yes.  Take a look at Green Bay and Mark Brunell.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I found that comment curious as well.

Because that ain't happening.

Even if Henne has a good year, you'd be lucky to net a single 4th rounder for him, I'd think.....But then again who knows....AJ Feeley netted a 2nd + a 5th....so maybe he could net slightly more than that 4th.

My bad on comma placement. I meant that starting Henne should cause us to pick in the top 12 again regardless what we added. Then turn that top 12 pick into other multiple picks.

Quote:Name for next year: Dante Fowler Jr

I am not a Gator fan. He just fits the profile of a Caldwell pick.
He could be great Leo. He plays the buck position at UF which is similar. 

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 03:10 PM by TheDuke007.)

I would put quarterback on my want list in the mid rounds, but you obviously only pull the trigger if the value is there.  Henne is only signed through 2015, so we would be giving the rookie a season to develop.  It's an important position to have a good backup.  I hate to say it because I really like Chris Smith too, but I would have considered a quarterback with out 5B pick.  We could have taken whoever Caldwell liked best of Mettenberger, McCarron, and Murray.  All three were available.  If he proved a legitimate backup, then you can dump Henne's huge salary in 2015.  As a result, you are basically freeing up enough money to sign a starter at another position in free agency.

As for next year's draft, my guess is that an elite pass rusher will be the target in first round.  We still desperately need a center, but they drop in the draft.  I think an outside linebacker or two would also be very high on my want list.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 03:16 PM by TheDuke007.)

Quote:Yeah my bad, I was thinking compensatory pick.

No, you had it right the first time.  A compensatory pick is awarded by the league when a team is a net loser in free agency.  Gabbert was traded for a sixth round pick plus a conditional pick in 2015.  As the word implies, you get more if certain conditions are met. To my knowledge, the terms of that conditional pick has not been released, but it is likely based upon playing time.  I also suspect the pick is nothing great -- probably another late round pick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You Keep taking QBs until you know you have your franchise guy as well as a capable backup. Both are still question marks as far as the long term go.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Must find a cheaper backup that maybe can be traded for picks later!

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

I also expect next year's draft to be heavy on defense. I'd expect the first round pick to be a DB.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."