Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is taking a tackle in the top 5 smart?

Quote: 

I'd like to see David Caldwell put his money where your mouth is about a elite free agent offensive tackle BEFORE the 2014 NFL Draft, if you don't mind.

You know why? It isn't going to happen.

I enjoy the idea of drafting Jake Matthews so much as opposed to signing an elite free agent to play right tackle for us. First, there has to be an elite tackle to sign. He has to clear the franchise tag. Next you have to pay through the nostrils.

Why pay more when you can draft Jake Matthews? The rookie cap has lots of push and pull to it. The rookies gave up bombastic pay, but they became outstanding financial values. 

Money isn't everything. By signing a free agent, you get to use your draft pick on a different position, and thus fill two holes instead of one. Smart use of free agency is a good thing.

The plan seems to be to wait until the roster is mostly set via the draft, and then fill the remaining holes in free agency. To me it seemed that it would have been smart to take advantage of a buyers market in RTs in 2013, even if it meant that the team wouldn't be good enough to take full advantage of the upgrade the first year. It will probably be many more years before Caldwell will be able to find a free agent RT as easily as he could have last spring.

2013 Free Agency (not-franchised)

Andre Smith

Sebastian Vollmer

Gosder Cherilus

Jermon Bushrod

Phil Loadholt

Eric Winston

Jake Long (LT only?)

2014 Free Agency

?????

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's a fitting move for a franchise like this one. Always playing things safe. Methodical gets you 8-8.

I won't be surprised at all when they don't draft a QB with the third pick. And I will laugh. Again.

Draft a Tackle every round. None of them will bust.

Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...725cd364da

Thanks for that. 

Like discussed before, it looks like Bradfield and Pasztor are serviceable tackles in the league.   Makes drafting a tackle in the top 5 even less smart.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I don't know if anyone has posted this, but Mike DiRocco did a piece where he analyzed the 3rd pick in the draft for the last 20 years.   Offensive and defensive tackles did the best of all the picks. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...qb-at-no-3

So in answer to the question, is taking a tackle in the top 5 smart, the answer may be yes it is smart.  

Quote:I don't know if anyone has posted this, but Mike DiRocco did a piece where he analyzed the 3rd pick in the draft for the last 20 years.   Offensive and defensive tackles did the best of all the picks. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...qb-at-no-3

So in answer to the question, is taking a tackle in the top 5 smart, the answer may be yes it is smart.  

I disagree.  for instance - even though Joe Thomas has made the pro bowl 7 out of 7 times in his career, I would argue that his impact has been minimal at best.  

I'd rather draft a WR or a Pass Rusher.  Maybe you won't get the pro bowl every year, but I think overall their impact will be higher.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Not a chance when you don't have a QB Starting, Sitting the bench, or backing up the bench warmer....

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

In a pass happy NFL, the Left Tackle (if your quaterback is right handed) & QB are two key Premium positions in a draft.  On Defense the best pass rusher available usually DE, DT, or OLB.  Of course a Revis kind of CB is up there too.

I've found that teams in the top 5 usually look at QB, LT to determine which if any are top 5 talent before they look at other positions if they dont plan to trade down.

The reason is you need to protect your major investment & usually team's coach/captain/Leader QB.  If you have a fantastic QB, especially a mobile one than LT isnt so important.  I hope that Jacksonville does not go the way of a mobile QB.  I would much rather have an elite pocket passer like Peyton, Tom, Drew, or Phillip than a Cam, Colin, Vince, Vick, or RG3 whom will only end up injured and become unimportant.

Based on premimum positions at #3 overall assuming that Teddy is taken 1 or 2 that would make the most likely candidate DE Clowney.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM by KL1gus.)

Quote: 

In a pass happy NFL, the Left Tackle (if your quaterback is right handed) & QB are two key Premium positions in a draft.
I really is not.

1. Pressure comes from everywhere, not just the blind side

2. If your QB have decent enough pocket presence to step up and a quick enough release to get rid of the ball, a top LT won't be necessary. If your QB doesn't, a top LT won't have an impact anyway.

Quote:I disagree.  for instance - even though Joe Thomas has made the pro bowl 7 out of 7 times in his career, I would argue that his impact has been minimal at best.  

I'd rather draft a WR or a Pass Rusher.  Maybe you won't get the pro bowl every year, but I think overall their impact will be higher.

How many times has Calvin Johnson taken the Lions to the playoffs, what about JJ Watt, Demarcus Ware or Jarred Allen with the Texans, Cowboys and Vikings? QB is the only spot in the NFL where if you get consistent great production you are likely to get into the playoffs. Doesn't mean great players are not valuable.

Just because it doesn't show up on the stat sheet, doesn't mean a guy does has minimal impact.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:In a pass happy NFL, the Left Tackle (if your quaterback is right handed) & QB are two key Premium (is that  an unnecessary redundancy?)
positions in a draft.  On Defense the best pass rusher available usually DE, DT, or OLB.  Of course a Revis kind of CB is up there too.   So, anyone but a safety or middle linebacker?

I've found that teams in the top 5 usually look at QB, LT to determine which if any are top 5 talent before they look at other positions if they dont plan to trade down.  Looks like the Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks and 49ers to me, and somehow I don't think any of them will be taking a QB in the 1st.

The reason is you need to protect your major investment & usually team's coach/captain/Leader QB.  I'm pretty sure all teams have a whole other guy who is the coach.  Rumor has it some teams even have extra coaches for different positions.
If you have a fantastic QB, especially a mobile one than LT isnt so important.  Try telling that one to Peyton and Tom, then get back to me.
I hope that Jacksonville does not go the way of a mobile QB.  I would much rather have an elite pocket passer like Peyton, Tom, Drew, or Phillip than a Cam, Colin, Vince, Vick, or RG3 whom will only end up injured and become unimportant. They don't all automatically get injured just because they're mobile

Based on premimum positions at #3 overall assuming that Teddy is taken 1 or 2 that would make the most likely candidate DE Clowney. I assume you know what you're trying to say but.....

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:How many times has Calvin Johnson taken the Lions to the playoffs, what about JJ Watt, Demarcus Ware or Jarred Allen with the Texans, Cowboys and Vikings? QB is the only spot in the NFL where if you get consistent great production you are likely to get into the playoffs. Doesn't mean great players are not valuable.

Just because it doesn't show up on the stat sheet, doesn't mean a guy does has minimal impact.

Do you think the Lions would trade Megatron for the best tackle in the league (whoever that may be)?  I think you know the answer to that.

I personally wouldn't trade Watt, Ware, Allen (in his prime) for any tackle in this league in their prime.

Quote:Do you think the Lions would trade Megatron for the best tackle in the league (whoever that may be)?  I think you know the answer to that.

I personally wouldn't trade Watt, Ware, Allen (in his prime) for any tackle in this league in their prime.

Its kind of hard to put in those terms.

Would you trade Watt for Johnson? Bosseli for Ware? Fred Taylor for Ray Lewis? All things being equal, like age and salary, its kind of hard to put a value on a non-QB against another non-QB aside from personal preference.

Anyway that's not the point. The point is for all Johnson, Watt, Ware and Allen's 'impact' they have not been able to sufficiently impact their teams into consistent winners. Its the same with OTs its just their impact doesn't show on a stat sheet or a youtube highlight reel. Who do you think great DEs go through to make plays?

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Its kind of hard to put in those terms.

Would you trade Watt for Johnson? Bosseli for Ware? Fred Taylor for Ray Lewis? All things being equal, like age and salary, its kind of hard to put a value on a non-QB against another non-QB aside from personal preference.

The only O-lineman there is Boselli, and the only reason I may consider is it because when he played he was one of the greatest LT to ever suit up (and cuz he's a Jag). 

The better question is... Would you trade Watt, Johnson, Ware, Taylor, or Ray Lewis for any offensive tackle today?  I would not.  Give me a pro bowl WR or Pass Rusher any day of the week over an O-Lineman.

I think even without Boselli - we would have done fine with Searcy at LT and some average RT... I really do believe that.  But it's fun to think about Smile

Quote:The point is for all Johnson, Watt, Ware and Allen's 'impact' they have not been able to sufficiently impact their teams into consistent winners.

Maybe not consistent winners, but if they can't... an OT sure as heck can't either.  I think those guys you listed are more likely to sufficiently impact a team to become consistent winners.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2014, 02:04 PM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:Money isn't everything. By signing a free agent, you get to use your draft pick on a different position, and thus fill two holes instead of one. Smart use of free agency is a good thing.

The plan seems to be to wait until the roster is mostly set via the draft, and then fill the remaining holes in free agency. To me it seemed that it would have been smart to take advantage of a buyers market in RTs in 2013, even if it meant that the team wouldn't be good enough to take full advantage of the upgrade the first year. It will probably be many more years before Caldwell will be able to find a free agent RT as easily as he could have last spring.

2013 Free Agency (not-franchised)

Andre Smith

Sebastian Vollmer

Gosder Cherilus

Jermon Bushrod

Phil Loadholt

Eric Winston

Jake Long (LT only?)

<div> 
2014 Free Agency

?????

</div>

You're fixated on right tackle.

You draft a tackle and throw him into your offensive line mix. The players decide which tackles start at left and right, and which tackles are back-ups. I want the best offensive tackles I can find. 

Philadelphia had Jason Peters - a franchise-grade left tackle (maybe elite). That didn't stop them from securing a second elite-potential tackle in Lane Johnson with the fourth pick last draft.

Kansas City had Branden Albert - a franchise-grade left tackle (maybe elite). That didn't stop them from securing a second, elite-potential tackle in Eric Fisher with the first pick of the draft.

What these anti-tackle posts reflect is the same type of methodically-flawed thinking we've seen for at least a decade.

I like a player. I don't care how good he is. I don't want to draft somebody better because I think stimulating roster competition might mean my favorite will lose his starting role. I don't care how much more talented a draft prospect is, I see him as a villain because he might win the starting job over my favorite player. I fear competition will make me sad.

Why draft an elite prospect at tackle? Why would you skip drafting elite talent for a less talented football player on your roster or somewhere further down in the player grades?

You need the best football players available.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif