Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Walk the talk

With almost no chance to get the number one pick, I'd like to put these quotes in context:

"The Colts, Broncos and Titans could all be losses, which would give Houston the first overall pick in May. Imagine rotating J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney around the front seven? Yikes."

and

"Jacksonville has won three straight and four of five. Only the Eagles have a longer active win streak (five) than the Jaguars."

The first one quote really allows proper perspective. Yeah, on paper, tanking for Teddy seemed like a great opportunity or fit for the team.  Much like having the opportunity to have Watt and Clowney, but at the end of the day it's all pure speculation and living up to the hype never seems to work out consistently for contenders.  As most things in life, if you do your job, good things will follow.  The Jaguars having the second longest active win streak in the league is above and beyond positive for the franchise, at this stage of the rebuild.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Clowney scares me.  He screams Ryan Leaf level bust in my eyes and I'd have reservations on drafting him if I didn't have a strong coaching staff and roster to surround him. I'm not saying he's a head case or he's going to be a sure fire bust but I've not been as impressed with him as many others.  With his physical ability he should be dominant on more occasions than he is regardless of "scheming" against him.  I don't see a JJ Watt level player in him but I hope he proves me wrong.  I don't ever wish a kid to fail and he seems like an overall decent kid.  He needs to go to a team with a solid coaching staff and veteran leadership to keep his ship sailing straight.  Gus is a guy that I could see being one to motivate him...

:thumbsup:

Quote:Clowney scares me.  He screams Ryan Leaf level bust in my eyes and I'd have reservations on drafting him if I didn't have a strong coaching staff and roster to surround him. I'm not saying he's a head case or he's going to be a sure fire bust but I've not been as impressed with him as many others.  With his physical ability he should be dominant on more occasions than he is regardless of "scheming" against him.  I don't see a JJ Watt level player in him but I hope he proves me wrong.  I don't ever wish a kid to fail and he seems like an overall decent kid.  He needs to go to a team with a solid coaching staff and veteran leadership to keep his ship sailing straight.  Gus is a guy that I could see being one to motivate him...

I agree, he's nowhere close to Watt because he doesn't exhibit Watt's relentless effort. I want Anthony Barr who has been just as disruptive over the last two years.

Quote:I agree, he's nowhere close to Watt because he doesn't exhibit Watt's relentless effort. I want Anthony Barr who has been just as disruptive over the last two years.
This. If we're going non-QB with our first pick, it has to be Barr.

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:Clowney scares me.  He screams Ryan Leaf level bust in my eyes and I'd have reservations on drafting him if I didn't have a strong coaching staff and roster to surround him. I'm not saying he's a head case or he's going to be a sure fire bust but I've not been as impressed with him as many others.  With his physical ability he should be dominant on more occasions than he is regardless of "scheming" against him.  I don't see a JJ Watt level player in him but I hope he proves me wrong.  I don't ever wish a kid to fail and he seems like an overall decent kid.  He needs to go to a team with a solid coaching staff and veteran leadership to keep his ship sailing straight.  Gus is a guy that I could see being one to motivate him...

Which is actually quite interesting, because Watt didn't receive nearly the hype Clowney had going into the season.

On Wisconsin.

Quote:Which is actually quite interesting, because Watt didn't receive nearly the hype Clowney had going into the season.

I will admit I was one that questioned Watt's combine numbers transitioning to the field but he's a good kid, a hell of a worker, with a ton of talent.  

Quote:I agree, he's nowhere close to Watt because he doesn't exhibit Watt's relentless effort. I want Anthony Barr who has been just as disruptive over the last two years.

If someone can bring that effort out in Clowney, look out NFL offenses.  The kid has the physical presence to be a force for a long time.

Clowney is the Calvin Johnson of DEs. I would be ecstatic if we  got him primarily because I don't think he'll have motivational problems in the NFL.

I think he's just done with college. It's a bad way to go about it though.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Clowney is the Calvin Johnson of DEs. I would be ecstatic if we  got him primarily because I don't think he'll have motivational problems in the NFL.

I think he's just done with college. It's a bad way to go about it though.
I've got to disagree with you.  If he's done with college before the draft, how quickly will he be done with a team that starts 0-8? 

There's a fairly direct relationship between draft position and money slot.  Now's the time to impress and he's already taking plays off?  If he doesn't care now, why should he care after the money starts coming in.  He's got serious motivational/attitude issues that are only going to get worse with fame and fortune.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:I've got to disagree with you. If he's done with college before the draft, how quickly will he be done with a team that starts 0-8?

There's a fairly direct relationship between draft position and money slot. Now's the time to impress and he's already taking plays off? If he doesn't care now, why should he care after the money starts coming in. He's got serious motivational/attitude issues that are only going to get worse with fame and fortune.

This is what will scare some GMs off in drafting him. But from a pure talent standpoint he's worthy of going in the top 5. Its up to that team and coach to weight risk vs reward.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

The thing is, I wouldn't be that worried about Clowney if we drafted him. I think Gus could work magic.

Quote:This is what will scare some GMs off in drafting him. But from a pure talent standpoint he's worthy of going in the top 5. Its up to that team and coach to weight risk vs reward.
Hey!  We took a guy #5 recently........oops.  No question about the skills, but he's a roll of the dice. 

I hope Caldwell's cautious on this one.  It would be interesting to see a grade adjustment average on him for all 32 teams.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

While Clowney's motor may be in question during college, I don't think it will be a concern in the pros. This is the guy that toyed with the idea of not playing this year to avoid injury. While that may not sound good, I feel like once he gets paid he is going to unleash hell on opposing offensive lines and QBs. I'd take him on my team anyday. His lack of production could be credited to the amount of double teams and scheming away from him. He's a freak in the best possible way. Oh to have his genes. ..
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."