Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL Blindspot Team of the Year Award

Hey all Jags fans! I just recently wrote this and thought I should share it with you guys Smile I'll be honest, I've always been a steelers fan but I have a soft spot for the Jags for whatever reason and always wanna see them do well and root for them. Feel free to peruse my article and provide any feedback! Much love to the Jags!    

14 Weeks into the season we’ve seen our share of the diety-like powers of Peyton Manning and the not-so spectacular fallout of the Houston Texans. With everyone focused on the playoffs and who the best team is, I would like to give out an award to the overlooked team which I think has potential for the following season…as this one is ending for them.

Now you have teams with the names like the NY Giants or Washington Redskins but those teams are always in the spotlight. For my pseudo-award, I would like to give it to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

There are really a multitude of reasons for this. A lot of what they’re doing right now is going un-sung, as with anything this team does…they’re always quiet on the major broadcasting stations.

Lets take some facts firstly. In their last 5 games they have gone 4-1 and have a current 3W streak. This was all coming off a bye-week as well. Put this in perspective, the other teams in this AFC South Division (Colts, Titans, Texans) all have a current losing streak (1L, 2L, 11L respectively). While a streak may not hold much meaning to tough critics, what it does mean is this team is finding themselves. Though it is too late this season, it’s likely going to look a lot better next one. Let’s also not forget this team is under a new Head Coach in Gus Bradley.

In terms of the coach being in his rookie season here, you may argue with the likes of Chip Kelly also in the same boat but doing much better. Remember though, he has stumbled upon a fascinating young Quarterback that is likely to be “The Guy” for years to come. The Jaguars aren’t so lucky to have that luxury. Another thing to take into consideration is that the Eagles didn’t have a flawless first half of the season either, it was looking like it could implode on them at any moment.

Like stated earlier, this Jags team had a very rough start, looking at an average of no more than 10 points every game up to week 8 all being losses, but have since scored an average of 23 points, nearly a 3 possesion differential (non-2pt conversion), and thats in 5 games with that kind of turn-around!

Lets break down this teams’ two sides of the ball now.

They have a very young defense averaging 25 years old and the oldest defensive player is Jason Babin at just 33. They have a lot of “football growth” potential to work with in these young guys. Also remember they looked fired up to play the Broncos in week 6. They played very physical. The broncos up to week 5 were averaging 46 points a game! The Jaguars defense held them to the lowest they scored all season at that point to just 35. Most people thought Peyton would put on a clinic against them (maybe even set a record for points in a game, but I had my doubts). This defense can and will show up. It will only look better next season.

As for offense, this is where the team needs the most. There is the obvious QB problem as Chad Henne nor Blaine Gabbert are the answer. With WR’s like Blackmon (if he can fix his off-field problems) and Shorts III and a viable TE in Lewis they have striking power. As for their RB position I will likely be disagreed with here but I don’t believe MJD is fitting for this team. They need someone intimidating in the backfield, a powerhouse of sorts. If they can get a smashmouth runner to match that young, hungry defensive’s physicality they will be able to hit homeruns with that recieving core deep downfield. 

All that said, next year after the draft they will have a much better chance at making post-season play possible.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Welcome to the board. We like seeing fans of other teams, but many Jaguars fans hate the Steelers because of their old days in the AFC Central and call them the Squealers.

What you will notice very quickly is many board members do not want to think logically. Ignore anyone who says winning is bad for the Jaguars for draft order reasons.

Quote:Welcome to the board. We like seeing fans of other teams, but many Jaguars fans hate the Steelers because of their old days in the AFC Central and call them the Squealers.

What you will notice very quickly is many board members do not want to think logically. Ignore anyone who says winning is bad for the Jaguars for draft order reasons.
Haha, I was looking around and it's fun to dive into a new fan base. But in all honesty I do believe winning>draft packs. Think about all the recent years where top draft choices become let-downs. RG3 is injury prone and overly selfish, has a lot of maturing that is needed, and I haven't seen any progress. Sam Bradford hasn't been 1st overall pick material like he was projected. Geno Smith isn't making a good impression. As much as I hate him Brady is a good example of why teams can still hit a jackpot even with undrafted rookies. Stay positive and play hard. Cross the drafting bridge when you get there.

Welcome and nice write-up. I just don't know who would be more of a smashmout runner than MJD...that's kinda what he's known for. A younger one maybe...

Quote:Welcome and nice write-up. I just don't know who would be more of a smashmout runner than MJD...that's kinda what he's known for. A younger one maybe...
Thanks! Much appreciated Smile. But yeah, the age and health are eventual concerns for any player, of course RB's being "advanced agers" in the league due to constant contant. I think the average career length for RB's is 8 years if im not mistaken and this is his 8th. Jags can probably squeeze a few more out of him, but it wouldn't hurt to window shop and ease him into a mentor role.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!