Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tesla Solar Roof

Quote:Historical district? I'll bet money none of the houses are older than the one I live in now.
Quote:Originally built in 1894.

You'd have lost money then. There's a house a few blocks from me that was built in 1870. Tongue
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:LOL

Riverside correct? I  Love RS

Yes, I love it here too!! :yes:

Quote:Holy crap is that normal there or did you just want to live in something that old?

Most are that old. Some of them were bombed in WW2 and others were torn down when the neighborhood was a dump in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Mine was built in 1918.

Might be the oldest house in the county.

Most annoying feature? ONE outlet in every room.

Quote:Mine was built in 1918.

Might be the oldest house in the county.

Most annoying feature? ONE outlet in every room.

My house was built in '23 and before we had the house totally rewired, it had the old cloth covered knob and tube wiring. My house must have been one of those high falutin houses, we had two outlets in every room...right next to each other!! And maybe four circuits for the whole house! If you just looked at an outlet wrong, it would throw the breaker!! Lmbo

Quote:My house was built in '23 and before we had the house totally rewired, it had the old cloth covered knob and tube wiring. My house must have been one of those high falutin houses, we had two outlets in every room...right next to each other!! And maybe four circuits for the whole house! If you just looked at an outlet wrong, it would throw the breaker!! Lmbo

I totally still have that wiring.

Funny part is when they built the houses I bet the folks were wondering why they needed all those outlets.

Quote:I totally still have that wiring.

Funny part is when they built the houses I bet the folks were wondering why they needed all those outlets.

They didn't hardly have anything to plug in back them.

I love those old houses! My friend bought one of those springfield fixer-uppers. Beautiful home and well over 100 years old. 

Quote:I love those old houses! My friend bought one of those springfield fixer-uppers. Beautiful home and well over 100 years old.

I love those houses over there too, but the area around it is just a little to sketchy for me.

Quote:I love those houses over there too, but the area around it is just a little to sketchy for me.
No, serioulsy totally sketchy!! This is why you can get a HUMOUNGOUS victorian beauty for 30k. lol

I work in the roofing industry. These could change the entire business.

As for cost, I've heard rumors that Musk is anticipating them actually being less than traditional asphalt in coming years.

I mean, you can already buy roofing upwards of $300+ per square depending on what you get. And those don't power your home.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I work in the roofing industry. These could change the entire business.

As for cost, I've heard rumors that Musk is anticipating them actually being less than traditional asphalt in coming years.

I mean, you can already buy roofing upwards of $300+ per square depending on what you get. And those don't power your home.

Yeah, only a matter of time I think. DOW has had Solar Shingles out for a few years now but they have been slow to release them in Florida. I actually looked into them last year when we did our roof, but they didn't have any certified installers in North Florida yet.

I imagine in the next decade there will be several companies offering solar roofing and the price will drop substantially. I can't imagine roofers ever thought they would be working hand in hand with electricians! 

Mine was built back in aught 3.

Quote:Yeah, only a matter of time I think. DOW has had Solar Shingles out for a few years now but they have been slow to release them in Florida. I actually looked into them last year when we did our roof, but they didn't have any certified installers in North Florida yet.

I imagine in the next decade there will be several companies offering solar roofing and the price will drop substantially. I can't imagine roofers ever thought they would be working hand in hand with electricians!

I think what you ran into will he a common problem initially. Finding someone certified to actually install them.

As it is, it's hard to find installers for some types of roofing (slate, metal slate, standing seam metal, tpo/EPDM flat)

I can't imagine there will be many solar installers
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:No, serioulsy totally sketchy!! This is why you can get a HUMOUNGOUS victorian beauty for 30k. lol

Complete with its own crackhead living on your front porch!

There are so many things wrong with this idea that pretty much kills it.  I worked for a while for a company that does solar power, though in a different way, but the concept is the same.

Problem #1 - The cost of a solar panel, whether it's a roofing shingle or a traditional panel is way high, especially if you want a good one.

Problem #2 - The longevity of a solar panel given the environmental conditions that it must stand up to.

Problem #3 - The energy gained from solar technology is a DC voltage that must be stored before it's used.  Storage could be anything from a lead acid battery (like the one in your car) or a better lithium battery (much more expensive and much more volatile).

Problem #4 - The energy stored (DC source) must be converted to a usable AC source which requires an inverter.  Find something that can convert DC to AC efficiently....  it doesn't exist, especially something that can provide the needed 200 amps for a typical home.

The bottom line is, in order to "go solar" for a home owner isn't really practical unless you just bought the home and plan on living in it for 30 or 40+ years.  In order to make up for the cost of "going solar" you would have to wait that long.

Problem #5 - Refer to problems #1 and #2.  Prior to seeing any financial benefit it's going to cost you not only for the materials, but also the installation.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016, 01:49 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

This is interesting. DOW is no longer producing their powerhouse shingle. I'm really not surprised. When I was researching the product and trying to get information, their communication was terrible. I think their merger with DuPont may have something to do with it as well, but I think once Tesla got into the solar market, the writing was on the wall.

http://client.dow.com/dowpowerhouse