Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fidel Castro has died...

Quote:This article is three years old, but I doubt they've got rid of any of the programs mentioned in it...

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/do-you-consider-yourself-a-struggling-comfortable-or-rich-australian/story-e6frfmcr-1226910189131'>http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/do-you-consider-yourself-a-struggling-comfortable-or-rich-australian/story-e6frfmcr-1226910189131</a>

Seems like you've got the same thing going on over there...

That's just a good old fashioned neat down right there!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That's just a good old fashioned neat
down right there!

It's failures like this which numb the sting.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Agree that this is the mentality of hospital administration in many hospitals. Even faith based ones, which is very saddening to me.

The doctor deserves to get paid more for his years of training, but the Administration saying they need to make more than anyone else? Sorry I don't agree. You have described exactly why unions are formed. Unfortunately the other side is bad too tho.

In my pretty significant experience nurses are a special worker class within a health care system rating a significantly better pay scale and benefits package than the non-clinical staff, especially now that the basic requirements for floor nurse are including the pursuit of at least a BSN.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I agree with this sentiment, but am annoyed that it only goes one way. An employer can fire you with no notice, for supposedly no reason (i.e. for illegal reasons, but then claim your 'at will' and they didn't like your hair). But an employee is 'supposed' to give 2 weeks notice and have some justification for wanting to leave the job. As if just wanting a different job isn't enough.

And then, of course, if your fired/released, its 'unprofessional' to say why it really happened, and have to make up something you 'learned' from the experience. Sometimes there's nothing to learn. Why is lying about learning something a better answer than saying the truth that you were unlucky and hit on a toxic job with a malicious boss/supervisor etc?

I can see if you were chronically tardy or late, showed up drunk, always slacking off, completely incompetent, that you might have something to learn, but that doesn't mean every fired person fits that mold. Yet society thinks of them that way. And then gives the benefit of the doubt to the employer, pretty much always, even when its known that some employer/unit/company have a bad culture. Its like a remnant of the caste system were the elites can do no wrong but the worker is a semi-useless robot that can't think. But, such is life. There are always more bad managers than good, and more bad companies than good ones. I just try to make sure I fall on the good side.

Well this will be a twofer, I usually agree with your point of view, but on this topic I will diverge a bit. If someone is hardworking and industrious, just because they aren't educated, highly skilled, or intelligent is no reason for them to have to live in poverty. There really should be a floor for a full time working man or woman that they should be able to live decently without huge government subsidies. And the government shouldn't have to set it, people/companies should do it on their own. Just cause a guys a janitor doesn't mean he deserves to be homeless.

I don't disagree with your first statement at all. IMO leaving a job is more a matter of etiquette and form than anything proscribed and I've never refused a good candidate because of how they ended their previous employment. The employment contract should be a two way street, I shouldn't be forced to keep you and you shouldn't be forced to stay.

As to your second, have you ever considered that poverty is a result of hampered market pricing rather than anything to do with wage floors? Why is it that you have to make $8, $15, or even $50 an hour to live out of poverty? Why is it that prices continue to increase while wages are stagnant? That a gallon of milk that cost a nickel 50 years ago now costs $4? The question isn't why does a janitor make poverty wages, but why are janitor's wages poverty level? When you answer the question with mandatory increases in wages all you get are higher prices with no upward mobility. When you answer the question with free market-based solutions you get price competition and a higher standard of living for everyone.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:My only opinion on healthcare is that nurses should be paid way more and treated better. One of the toughest jobs there is.

Nurses get paid pretty well here, at least at the two major hospitals here in town. Most make from $35/hr to $50/hr depending on experience and tenure, with RNs pulling in a little more.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In my pretty significant experience nurses are a special worker class within a health care system rating a significantly better pay scale and benefits package than the non-clinical staff, especially now that the basic requirements for floor nurse are including the pursuit of at least a BSN.

The floor nurse with the BSN is now doing precious little actual patient nursing care. They are pushing the computer equipped cart giving meds around to patient rooms and spend the rest of the time charting at the nurses station.  LPNs in this state, who used to do much of the hands on care, are being phased out by an even lower paid medical assistants, a hybrid LPN/CNA.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I don't disagree with your first statement at all. IMO leaving a job is more a matter of etiquette and form than anything proscribed and I've never refused a good candidate because of how they ended their previous employment. The employment contract should be a two way street, I shouldn't be forced to keep you and you shouldn't be forced to stay.

As to your second, have you ever considered that poverty is a result of hampered market pricing rather than anything to do with wage floors? Why is it that you have to make $8, $15, or even $50 an hour to live out of poverty? Why is it that prices continue to increase while wages are stagnant? That a gallon of milk that cost a nickel 50 years ago now costs $4? The question isn't why does a janitor make poverty wages, but why are janitor's wages poverty level? When you answer the question with mandatory increases in wages all you get are higher prices with no upward mobility. When you answer the question with free market-based solutions you get price competition and a higher standard of living for everyone.

Agree completely with both points.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I would just like to point out that at Castro's funeral, per multiple reports, his brother Raul recounted Fidel's longtime fight against western imperialism and made use of a common refrain throughout: "Yes we can".

What an appropriate bookend to Fidel's life and Obama's tenure.