Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shad Khan

Quote:IMO an owner shouldn't have to make football decisions. He hires a GM to do so. It should default to Caldwell.

I can only hope the patience he's showing is helping him decide whether or not to send Dave off with Gus when that time comes.

One is the easy decision, the other decision is probably even more important.  There's a lot of evidence to support a GM change along with the coach.  HC and QB were both unequivocally "his" guys.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Can't Caldwell fire Gus ? Wasn't he brought in to make the football decisions ?

I'm guessing that a decision like that my involve a phone call. If anyone thinks an NFL coach gets the boot without owner input,..... Well, they aren't in touch with how things work in the real world.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:There is always one of you.

And there is always ten of you.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:And there is always ten of you.

Um, thanks?

(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016, 01:48 PM by Dakota.)

Quote:And there is always ten of you.
There are at least six of you. I have to drive and walk past you every time I go to the grocery store, begging and panhandling. Basically annoying and pestering working and productive members of society.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Um, thanks?

Any time.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016, 01:59 PM by Mowerguy.)

Just going around in circles here. The GM was hired first here which lead Shad to gus. I believe it was a collective decision to give gus another year.....but ultimately Caldwell's call. was this Khan giving Caldwell enough rope to hang himself?

I don't know but, Khan's style is hire the best people to run things, advise them but, don't dominate them ala' Jerry Jones.

This is really two separate issues.....I would imagine at this point even Caldwell knows gus needs to go,

without the big boss telling him so.....Now whether caldwell gets the door too is all on Khan. 

To me, Khan got bamboozled by a rookie GM talking him into a rookie HC...we all bought into it as well.

Now that this season is almost over.....the hc is unquestionably gone and the GM??...Well, lets listen in..

[Image: 6i9nkk.jpg]

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Just going around in circles here. The GM was hired first here which lead Shad to gus. I believe it was a collective decision to give gus another year.....but ultimately Caldwell's call. was this Khan giving Caldwell enough rope to hang himself?

I don't know but, Khan's style is hire the best people to run things, advise them but, don't dominate them ala' Jerry Jones.

This is really two separate issues.....I would imagine at this point even Caldwell knows gus needs to go,

without the big boss telling him so.....Now whether caldwell gets the door too is all on Khan. 

To me, Khan got bamboozled by a rookie GM talking him into a rookie HC...we all bought into it as well.

Now that this season is almost over.....the hc is unquestionably gone and the GM??...Well, lets listen in..

[Image: 6i9nkk.jpg]

So, David, this is the HC you hand picked and personally vouched for, yes?

-Yes

And this is the QB your heart was set on, even before the scouts had completed their analysis, yes?

-Yes

You remember when I said actions speak louder than words, yes?

-Yes

Well, you may be disappointed in my next action, but it's in the best interest of our franchise...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I agree, and if Khan has truly entrusted Caldwell 100%, and if Caldwell genuinely thought/thinks that Gus is NFL HC material then Caldwell needs to go.

It's Khan's call:

Quote:“Not any more than the previous three years,” Caldwell said. “Our pressure comes from within. … We’ve been doing this for four years, and to have a winning record is probably a reasonable expectation. I think [Khan] will make a decision at the end of 16 games and say it’s the direction he likes or doesn’t.”

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2016-09-07/story/jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell-feeling-more-optimistic-season?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jacksonville%2FksHE+(Jacksonville+Jaguars+%2B+Jaguars+News+-+Jacksonville.com+and+The+Florida+Times-Union'>http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2016-09-07/story/jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell-feeling-more-optimistic-season?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jacksonville%2FksHE+(Jacksonville+Jaguars+%2B+Jaguars+News+-+Jacksonville.com+and+The+Florida+Times-Union</a>)
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:16-58 since Khan bought the team.  He is a rich business man.  However, he has totally failed at his first hack at "football operations."  He has hit home runs with the business side of the Jags.  But the on-field portion has been and continues to be a miserable failure.

You're trying to propose that Khan is way smarter than anyone and everyone here.  OK, fine, where's the proof?  16-58 on the field is the evidence I offer you and 2-8 shows that the "arrow" is currently not pointing up.  He entrusted Bradley to lead a championship caliber team and Gus has miserably failed.  Khan's responsibility in this is that he has let this clown show continue for 2 years too long in my opinion.  There was enough evidence in Bradley's 1st season to judge him and realize he would never lead this team to a Super Bowl victory!
so you are smarter than Khan? ok...

Quote:He's an intelligent businessman. He's one of thirty-two NFL owners. What most people don't realize, however, is that only twelve of those teams will make it to the play-offs this year like they do every year. And it's extremely rare that an NFL owner finds consistent success on a high level at this level of competition where the game planning, coaching, players and schemes are consistently adapting or evolving. 

Have we been a bad football team for the past four years? Certainly. "You are what your record says you are". To quote Bill Parcells. But, to circle back to my point. We're not the only city in the NFL with an intelligent owner missing out with their decision making in the personnel aspect of the NFL. It takes time, great effort and the patience of a saint to build a winning product in the NFL. For every Robert Kraft in the NFL you'll find a great majority of NFL owners not even capable of holding up a candle to his rare level of success. Or, in truth at times, luck. Just pure...dumb...luck. 

It happens to the best of them too. Recent examples this year that I can point to, well, three actually. Arizona, Carolina & Green Bay. These three teams were pegged at the beginning of the year to be relevant and tough to contend with. So far all three of them have flopped majorly this season. Teams like San Diego and New Orleans have legitimate hall of fame caliber quarterbacks leading their football teams, yet, they've been extremely inconsistent now for roughly a decade. The list goes on. 

My point is that, we have to give it time with Shahid Khan. It was his first attempt. So far, he's missed. He knows that. This city knows that. The fans know that. The mainstream and local media and journalists know that. It's a lesson he's hopefully going to learn from and in about five to six weeks when Black Monday looms around the NFL. I am 110% sure and positive that he will make the right decision given all that he's seen. He said four years. He manned up and lived up to his promise and words. Although we're sinking like the Titanic I can completely respect a man for staying on his ship and staying true to his message while it goes down. Again, hopefully he makes the best business decision of his life in a few months after the dust settles in the football world.

Very much this, especially the part in bold.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I've made my case about liking Khan and appreciating his commitment to building through the draft- even if I feel he and Dave should have moved on from this staff by now.

Aside from all of that- Shad Khan is also an exceptional human being:

Quote:...Less than 24 hours before that scene played out in the visiting locker room at Ford Field, Smith was in his hometown of Valdosta, Georgia, at his brother’s funeral. Brian Keith Moore was shot and killed on Nov. 13 and Smith took a leave of absence to be with his family. On Saturday, owner Shad Khan gave Smith use of his private plane so he could attend the funeral and join the team in Detroit.

Smith wasn’t the only passenger on board. Posluszny was there, too, because he attended Moore’s funeral. So was running back T.J. Yeldon, who attended his grandfather’s funeral in Daphne, Alabama, on Saturday. Khan’s plane picked up Yeldon in Mobile then picked up Smith and Posluszny in Valdosta.

^DiRocco - ESPN