Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Long term damage?

Losing games is depressing enough, but how much long-term damage is being done by stubbornly seeing out the season with our lame-duck HC?

We are seeing the confidence drain out of players like Bortles, who is being forced to carry on and entrench bad habits to the point where you wonder if they might become irreversible.

We are seeing player-discipline fall apart and players like Marks, Jackson and Fowler commit foul after foul out of frustration. Fowler in particular looks to have lost the plot.

We are seeing players fall out with fans. Not the end of the world from a playing perspective, but the support of fans can be hard to win back once you've burned your bridges.

We are seeing losing becoming a habit and it's not a coincidence that we are consistently finding ways to lose narrow games - winning is a habit and so is losing. These young players are learning to lose.

And we aren't seeing what is going on in the locker room and inside the players heads, but are the players also losing their fight and their team-spirit? It wouldn't be surprising, especially when they must know they will lose this coach at the end of the season and face an uncertain future under a new coach.

Even if it was just a temporary head coach to see us through to the end of the season, something has to be done to shake things up at the very top and it can't wait another seven games.

Otherwise we could be living with the consequences beyond this season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Three words...

Allen... Allen... Allen

'02

Sad to say but this post is right on.......

Quote:Three words...

Allen... Allen... Allen

Would love to give Allen shot....but not with this coaching staff.

Just close your eyes....it will be over soon.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Coughlin could whip this group into shape in short order.

Another of my concerns for long term is the return of the dreaded tarp syndrome. While the seats won't be covered next season, many will be empty and that will restart the national discourse of bad Jags fans. The time is now to fire Gus and signal to the fans and players that change is on the way.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

My fear is that we are going to lose some good players who get fed up and abuse alcohol/drugs. I think that some players will decide that this culture of losing is not what they signed up for. For a lot of young players having recently graduated college, they will turn to forms of recreation and escape that they are accustomed to, such as excessive drinking.

Not to excuse Blackmon's behavior, as he had an uphill battle with over coming his demons, but I honestly think he viewed his situation with the Jags as a dismal one. I believe that he found himself in a bad situation, with a bad team, with a struggling offense and an inept quarterback. His response was to do what he knew would make the times better. Drink and smoke. After the losses piled up, and he started to fall apart, he realized there was nothing to come back to.

I can't help but think there might be current players facing this same dilemma. And BB might be one of them. If speculations of his drinking are correct, we may have seen his best football last year.

Quote:My fear is that we are going to lose some good players who get fed up 
This is the part I am concerned about. They get fed up and leave when the season is over, if they can. 

And all for Khan not bruising his ego and falling back on his word... Such a shame. Just go look at Bortles' UCF highlights on YouTube for exhibit A.

I totally agree.  I'm usually pretty slow to want to dump a coach, but it's simply time.  And, I think for the reasons you mention - it's causing damage to the core of the team, or what's left of it.  Khan says he's not a fan of mid-season firings because it usually "doesn't work out well", meaning, I guess, that it doesn't help you in terms of the current season.  But, the current season is over, for us, anyway.  It's time to think about salvaging our players, our fan base, all of it.  I see zero downside in playing out the rest of the year with an interim coach.

What must be done eventually, must be done now.

Why not......everyone including gus knows he's as lame a duck as one of bbint's deep balls.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Every week Gus is here spreading his loser message and implementing his loser scheme and running his loser practices is just a waste of valuable development time.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!