Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Caldwell stay put at least another season?
yes
blank #2
no
[Show Results]

How is Caldwell not let go at the end of the season?

Quote:This. It's not like there are crops of established proven GMs floating around we can replace him with. Those guys don't leave their team. It's a huge risk. We could be bringing in Gene Smith.

Put JW as GM and she would have a better track record than Gene Smith.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm sorry but you can't stay as a GM in this league when you

A) Have all 8 selections in the 2013 draft go bust. Sure it was aweak class and a good few GMs didn't do well. Still doesn't make it OK.

B) Hiring the worst HC in NFL history in your first year. Hiring a rookie HC when you are a rookie GM is not a good idea , especially when you are completely dismantling the roster.

C) Drafting two busts in the top 5 (Joke, Bortles) in consecutive years with another top 5 draft pick looking bad (Fowler) although he still of course has time on his side.

Yeah sure Arob/Telvin/Linder/Lee are good picks but ever average GM makes those. You can't miss those high picks as often as Caldwell has.

He's no doubt a smart guy and has potential as a GM but if we are being honest with ourselves we can do better. I think we have a big opinion on Caldwell simply because of the trash GMs that came before him (Gene/Shack)

This

Quote: B) Hiring the worst HC in NFL history in your first year. Hiring a rookie HC when you are a rookie GM is not a good idea , especially when you are completely dismantling the roster.

He failed on the head coach, but who should he have hired at the time?  He had to hire somebody.  Should he have kept Mularkey?  Was there specific coaches he could have hired but didn't?  I don't remember.

Quote:He failed on the head coach, but who should he have hired at the time?  He had to hire somebody.  Should he have kept Mularkey?  Was there specific coaches he could have hired but didn't?  I don't remember.

Shhh... don't bring logic in... it ruins them.

It's like trashing the Parnell signing because he isn't playing well... while simultaneously forgetting what he replaced.  He may be bad, but he's still better than what WAS at RT.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

To people who fear that the new gm or coach will gut the roster? That's easy. Hire someone who says this roster is already pretty good and does not need a major overhaul.

You're the boss if you're shad. The new gm and coach are not getting the same treatment as Gus and Dave got.

Year after year we grade out well after the draft and free agency. The talent is there, it's definitely better than 2-7.

Get some people in here who want to take THIS roster with minor tweaks.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:He failed on the head coach, but who should he have hired at the time? He had to hire somebody. Should he have kept Mularkey? Was there specific coaches he could have hired but didn't? I don't remember.

Yeah Mularkey would have been a better option than Bradley. Name some of the candidates at the time for our HC job.

Quote:Shhh... don't bring logic in... it ruins them.

It's like trashing the Parnell signing because he isn't playing well... while simultaneously forgetting what he replaced. He may be bad, but he's still better than what WAS at RT.

Yep and that doesn't mean you keep them simply because they were better than what we had before.

Quote:To people who fear that the new gm or coach will gut the roster? That's easy. Hire someone who says this roster is already pretty good and does not need a major overhaul.

You're the boss if you're shad. The new gm and coach are not getting the same treatment as Gus and Dave got.

Year after year we grade out well after the draft and free agency. The talent is there, it's definitely better than 2-7.

Get some people in here who want to take THIS roster with minor tweaks.

If this team is able to fix the QB (or find an alternative), boaster the o-line, and find a legitimate edge rusher, it should easily win the division next year

I think Caldwell has done a good job..he has drafted the best available player where the team has needs.

Players don't typically perform consistent until 2 or so years...

I hate to say this....

But we won't know how well or poorly he's done until this time next year

Quote:The losses are not a good look for Caldwell, but replacing the GM just doesn't sound like an appealing solution.  That won't fix anything for the 2017 season.  Replacing a GM is more of a move to start a rebuild.  I don't think that's the situation they're in (yet).  The chances of a new GM being worse than Caldwell are too high.  Khan needs to try and fix the 2017 season, not the unforeseen "future".  If that means signing Caldwell to a contract extension, I guess that's not too bad of a risk.

One possible silver lining down the road for the Jaguars fan base is even if Dave Caldwell gets a multi-contract extension,  at least in part to create the impression of stability in the organization,   Shad Khan can afford to eat the contract if necessary.   Whether Khan would do so after one season is potentially a whole different question.

Quote:My fear is a new GM would gut our roster or trade a lot of players. I'd rather keep Caldwell and let him pick another HC. There's no doubt our team has talent, so aside from the terrible Joke, Bortles and Fowler still have a chance to be good. We need a new defensive scheme for Fowler as well, which should happen with a new coaching staff.

There's no question that a new GM could decide to make major personnel changes especially since he didn't bring the current roster to Jax and there will very likely be different schemes on both sides of the ball.