Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bengals Game

(11-06-2017, 02:40 PM)realtorpat Wrote: couple things I'd like to add.  

I just rewatched the game and starting from the 12 minute mark in the 3rd quarter the Bengals only had 3 positive plays the rest of the game and they were all on different drives.  This defense isn't just good, they are straight up bullying other teams.  Without Ramsey, without Green our 2,3,4 corners completely worked their 2,3,4 receivers.  The defensive line doesn't just get pressure, they completely collapse the pocket as a unit.  Dalton did a good job of throwing the ball away or getting it out quickly to avoid the rush.  It was on him all afternoon and our 2 sack performance does not do justice to how well they played today

Bortles.  The throwing motion looks good, seems like the coaches have figured out how to get the most out of this unit without Arob.  I'm really pissed we didn't get to see Arob this year because based off training camp they had designs of making him and Lee big play receivers.  One thing I noticed a lot this week was a Levels concept.  I'm sure we have run it in the past but it really seemed like Bortles has it figured out now, I think before he was forcing it to the wrong guy.  This week he made some big plays with this, one was Lee coming across shallow and Lewis coming across on a deep out and they jumped the Lee route and Bortles slung a beautiful ball to Lewis for a big game.  The concept was run a few other times and it seemed like Bortles made the right decision.  He had about 40 yards or so of passes dropped today and played very well.

Special teams.  The punt return pitch reverse was something I didn't know I wanted to see.  I really like how these coaches are finding ways to get Grant involved in the game plan.  The PR TD was a thing of beauty, no wasted movement just cut up field, thread the needle, push it to the outside and find your blockers.  

Yeldon looks so much faster this year and has shown some pile pushing strength I don't remember him having.

As for the defense, that is amazing.  Watching the game at the stadium, I got the sense the defense was playing well and the offense was holding the ball, but seeing those numbers puts the defensive dominance into perspective.  A fantastic performance.

Bortles-I can't speak to his throwing motion, but I think the Bortles we are seeing now is the result of myriad factors.  I think the offense, as the result of the addition of Robinson and Fournette, helps put Bortles in better down and distance situations than he has in the past, which enables him to make better decisions, and puts less pressure on him.  I think the design of the offense allows for more check down options, and I think the team has coached him heavily, and he is making better decisions as a result.

The reverse was beautifully set up.  I think the officiating crew, especially the back judge (?) was flag happy, and seemed to throw several flags from like 40 yards away.  That return for a TD was a thing of beauty, and I rank it up there with Wade's return for a TD against Philadelphia circa 2002.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 10:50 PM by realtorpat.)

(11-06-2017, 10:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 02:40 PM)realtorpat Wrote: couple things I'd like to add.  

I just rewatched the game and starting from the 12 minute mark in the 3rd quarter the Bengals only had 3 positive plays the rest of the game and they were all on different drives.  This defense isn't just good, they are straight up bullying other teams.  Without Ramsey, without Green our 2,3,4 corners completely worked their 2,3,4 receivers.  The defensive line doesn't just get pressure, they completely collapse the pocket as a unit.  Dalton did a good job of throwing the ball away or getting it out quickly to avoid the rush.  It was on him all afternoon and our 2 sack performance does not do justice to how well they played today

Bortles.  The throwing motion looks good, seems like the coaches have figured out how to get the most out of this unit without Arob.  I'm really pissed we didn't get to see Arob this year because based off training camp they had designs of making him and Lee big play receivers.  One thing I noticed a lot this week was a Levels concept.  I'm sure we have run it in the past but it really seemed like Bortles has it figured out now, I think before he was forcing it to the wrong guy.  This week he made some big plays with this, one was Lee coming across shallow and Lewis coming across on a deep out and they jumped the Lee route and Bortles slung a beautiful ball to Lewis for a big game.  The concept was run a few other times and it seemed like Bortles made the right decision.  He had about 40 yards or so of passes dropped today and played very well.

Special teams.  The punt return pitch reverse was something I didn't know I wanted to see.  I really like how these coaches are finding ways to get Grant involved in the game plan.  The PR TD was a thing of beauty, no wasted movement just cut up field, thread the needle, push it to the outside and find your blockers.  

Yeldon looks so much faster this year and has shown some pile pushing strength I don't remember him having.

As for the defense, that is amazing.  Watching the game at the stadium, I got the sense the defense was playing well and the offense was holding the ball, but seeing those numbers puts the defensive dominance into perspective.  A fantastic performance.

Bortles-I can't speak to his throwing motion, but I think the Bortles we are seeing now is the result of myriad factors.  I think the offense, as the result of the addition of Robinson and Fournette, helps put Bortles in better down and distance situations than he has in the past, which enables him to make better decisions, and puts less pressure on him.  I think the design of the offense allows for more check down options, and I think the team has coached him heavily, and he is making better decisions as a result.

The reverse was beautifully set up.  I think the officiating crew, especially the back judge (?) was flag happy, and seemed to throw several flags from like 40 yards away.  That return for a TD was a thing of beauty, and I rank it up there with Wade's return for a TD against Philadelphia circa 2002.

certainly being coached up and is either starting to understand pro concepts better or they figured out how to make him efficient.  Cam has been huge, changing the down and distance and more disciplined.  We have not seen many holding calls this year.  I'm looking forward to see him playing even better as the season goes on and how this offense changes when Westbrook is playing.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 10:27 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-06-2017, 07:14 PM)D6 Wrote: Bullseye,  I'm glad you are ok.

Thanks for your continuing efforts with the game thoughts and the weekly AFC South selections threads.

Regarding what you mentioned 15 days ago regarding the Jaguars having a chance to break the NFL sack record,  the Jaguars Defense seems capable.  Especially,  with some Offenses on the struggle that have some huge problems.  Regardless though,  the Jaguars Defense on the field yesterday had the look of the best Jaguars Defense in the franchise's 23 season history.   Unlike the unit from the 2004 to 2007 era,  the 2017 Jaguars have a noticeably better pass rush.

Welcome back, D6.  I always welcome your insight.

Yes, we have much better pass rushers and overall versatility than the JDR era defense you mentioned.  But I think we also have better coverage in the back seven than that defense had, but I would say the JDR era defense was more physical overall.  I had kicked around the idea of which defense would be the best one to take us to a championship, or if we were to comprise an all time Jaguars defense, which defense would comprise the nucleus and which guys from which defenses would you mix in.  For that matter, I wondered which Jaguars would fit in/start on that '84-85 Bears squad.  The only guys that could are Dareus over Perry and our corners over theirs.  As an NFC Central/North guy, what would be your take on that analysis?

(11-06-2017, 10:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Well the teal looked fantastic. Loved seeing the crowd in teal too and the atmosphere in the second half was so loud. It goes hand in hand, when the fans have something to cheer they'll get going and give the players that extra lift.

Now Bortles, I've been critical, and Im not jumping back on the Blake bus but he has had back to back solid games now. My biggest worry was his confidence looked shot. He had no faith in the line, and felt he needed to win the game and make big plays. His passing was fine until his first mistake and then it was downhill from there and I didn't think he would be able to correct all that in a make or break season for him. 

But he's looked good the last few weeks. There's still the odd wobbly ball and batted passes but his throwing motion looks much better, his decision making is better, he's standing in the pocket and I think now he knows he just needs to make his plays, he's relaxed from trying to do too much.

I'm not saying he's turned the corner or anything but if he can continue to just make those pass plays that keep the chains moving and be able to improve bit by bit then we could have an O that can be effective with this D come December and maybe beyond.

Not that I'm getting ahead of myself!

Sometimes I wonder how much the uniform change has to do with fans not readily identifying with the team.  I know the losing has the most to do with it, but for the bulk of this team's existence, teal was this team's dominant color.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-06-2017, 09:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 09:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Glad you're ok my dude.

One thing I'll disagree on is that the offense had a heck of a game. They need to score TDs. Offense only generated 16 points yesterday. Can't fumble on the 20. Can't settle for FGs. Gotta score TDs if this team wants to go deep.

I agree we need more point production.

That said, to hold the ball for 40 minutes and to not have any three and outs, the offense was damn effective.

That TOP disparity isn't just the defense getting off the field.  It's about the offense staying on it.

(11-06-2017, 10:19 AM)Kane Wrote: I noticed the sparse crowd at kickoff but looked like it filled in fairly well by the 2nd Q and by the 2nd half it looked normal.

I typically get to the games fairly early.  I notice not only do visiting fans tend to get to the stadium early, but it seems ours is typically a late arriving crowd.

Has anyone else noticed this?  If so, would you have any sense as to why that is?

Not sure what your definition of "early" is, but we have kind of "our system".  We park in lot Z which is next to the parking garage.  It's typically about a 5 or 10 min walk to the stadium (when the fair isn't in town).  We usually pack up and head to the stadium 1 hour prior to kickoff.  That gets us into the stadium with enough time to watch some of the final warm-ups.  The stadium is usually pretty empty at that point.

Once the teams go to their locker rooms it gives us time to take a "potty break", grab a beverage and/or snacks and get to our seats in time for opening festivities (Jaxson entering the stadium, team introductions, etc.).  At that point it seems that fans are just getting to their seats with more coming in after the National Anthem and after the kickoff.

I'm not sure why people get there as late as they do, perhaps they aren't interested in the pre-game festivities.  For me it's all part of the game day experience.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-06-2017, 07:56 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 07:51 AM)copycat Wrote: Glad you are ok Bullseye!  

As for attendance, I am curious to see how it is this coming weekend with the "official" boycott in full effect.  I have several friends that are all in on the boycott.  With each win I see their resolve starting to fade however since this Sunday is Veteran's Day I believe attendance will be sparse again this weekend.

If they aren't showing up at this point, those fans are lost for life. If they keep winning they will make new fans though. A playoff run will make fans out of people that never cared before.

I can say I am at least one example of this not being the case. I took on a new role at a different company and we are a 24 hour avionics facility. I work 3rd shift and live 2.5 hours away from Jacksonville. I can't really do nor want to stay up near 24 hour days anymore, lol... So I opted to pass on tickets when I moved back here a couple years ago. 

The good news is, everyone in our production support group is north of 58, with 3 over 64. So I will be on 1st soon. When this occurs, I will be back in The Bank cheering for my team win or lose every Sunday!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!