Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The coaching staff deserve some credit in this win

I hate how we completely abandoned the run towards the end. We were in field goal range and just kept trying to lob up prayers getting picked off. It felt like we threw the ball 20 times in a row at one point. That is just stupid. I don't care if it wasn't working well you have to at least try to keep them honest. That pass rush was just teeing off and there was nowhere to go down the field.
No pain, no gain.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd love to hear Marrone's reasoning on going for it on 4th and 6 in FG range in a one possession game. If it was like a 4th and inches or a 60 yarder I'd understand it, but that was mind blowing to me. It would of been a 52 yarder, and at that point in the game we still had the long snapper.

Yea coaching made no sense at end of game. Could of blew it. But won regardless.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(11-12-2017, 09:18 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: thought this was one of the worst coaching jobs of the season, easily

after the late PI on them, we came out passing instead of running when we were on their 15 yard line, and it cost us with that dumb penalty

there were tons of bad calls, mismanagement, etc

but we won, thank god

They were passing because we were down three and they were trying to win the game.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2017, 10:06 PM by SCJagFan.)

I certainly don't think this was great game from a coaching perspective. I thought the offensive play calling in the first half was pretty bad. It was very predictable and it wasn't until they decided to start throwing the ball more in the 3rd quarter that the Jaguars were finally able to move the ball. Fournette was clearly not healthy today and for whatever reason Ivory barely played.

The Jags were flat on both sides of the ball for most of the game and still were able to pull out the win, so I will take it and move on to the Browns.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(11-12-2017, 09:41 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: I hate how we completely abandoned the run towards the end. We were in field goal range and just kept trying to lob up prayers getting picked off. It felt like we threw the ball 20 times in a row at one point. That is just stupid. I don't care if it wasn't working well you have to at least try to keep them honest. That pass rush was just teeing off and there was nowhere to go down the field.
Did you see the run game today? It was pathetic.

Keep doing it even though it’s not working? Sounds like something Gus would do.

It was a game where corrections were made on an otherwise grotesque job of the coaching staff. There were some really awful decisions made in that game and it nearly cost us the game. We won because a player made a big INT and returned it to the 1. Sure the coaches made some adjustments, but they also put us behind the 8 ball more time than I am comfortable with.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017, 07:52 AM by The Real Marty.)

I don't usually like to quibble about the game plan or the play calling, since I am not in the meeting room when the game plan is set up and I don't hear the reasoning behind it.

The one thing I would quibble about is that we kept rushing with only 4, but every time we blitzed, Rivers would have to throw the ball away. So I don't know why we didn't blitz more.

(11-12-2017, 11:48 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: It was a game where corrections were made on an otherwise grotesque job of the coaching staff. There were some really awful decisions made in that game and it nearly cost us the game. We won because a player made a big INT and returned it to the 1. Sure the coaches made some adjustments, but they also put us behind the 8 ball more time than I am comfortable with.

The play call I would definitely argue with is the fake punt.  I thought that call was insane, since we were on our half of the field.  In fact, Grant almost got tackled at the line of scrimmage.   Fortunately, he stepped out of that tackle attempt.

Not sure how anyone can criticize the coaching in this game.

The Chargers were going to stop our run, and they did. We adjusted.

Good teams find a way to win, and we did just that. Telvin said in the video "The old Jaguars would of lost". I cannot remember the last time that we came out on top on in a close, meaningful game.

(11-13-2017, 10:49 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote: Not sure how anyone can criticize the coaching in this game.

Good teams find a way to win, and we did just that. Telvin said in the video "The old Jaguars would of lost". I cannot remember the last time that we came out on top on in a close, meaningful game.

Yeah I kinda agree. We looked prepared, nobody panicked and time management had to be nearly perfect to pull that win off. 

What were the recurrent coaching issues under Gus again?

Lol the Chargers looked like a Gus Lead team.

Not losing a fumble and gaining just one first down would of won that game for The Chargers, they had it, we took it.

^
Played it safe and did not have the cojones to go for the jugular. Sometimes you have to just take a calculated risk and hope that luck is on your side. Glad it worked out in our favor this time.

But this may be a turning point where now teams know how to effectively stall our offense, especially with a lot of our guys hurt, I think the blow-out games are going to be very few and far between from now on. That's why I am so glad that at least our kicking game is not so inconsistent anymore, but there should be some concerns with how the Chargers were able to penetrate and block/tip the FG/PATs.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 12:18 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(11-13-2017, 10:49 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote: Not sure how anyone can criticize the coaching in this game.

I am pretty much ok with every decision except not taking 3 points in a 1 possession game on 4th and 6. That doesn't deserve criticism? The offense wasn't moving the ball, game is a one score game, it was early, long snapper in place, Lambo hits 56 the week before that woulda been good from 60+.... I just don't get it. I think Marrone is learning as we go which may end up being the difference later on. That was a TERRIBLE call... absolutely terrible. Theres no way you can defend that. Marrone is a big momentum guy, he likes these trick punts to build momentum. But come on man, 4th and 6 for a 52 yarder isnt where you do it. He is acting like if they make that 4th and 6 then its a guarantee they get a TD. IDK, I hope Coughlin gets in Marrones ear on that one... because not a single reporter or anyone is even questioning him on it. In tight games... every point counts.. you don't do that crap in one possession games. Ever.

It's probably one of the worst coached games we've had this year but still had its moments of good. 

For instance once we changed up the offense and starting using crossers and attacking the soft Gus zones we had them on the ropes. The fact that we didn't do it earlier is bad but the fact that we eventually did turn to that is a sign of good coaching if that makes sense.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 08:01 AM by The Real Marty.)

(11-13-2017, 10:56 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

Yeah I kinda agree. We looked prepared, nobody panicked and time management had to be nearly perfect to pull that win off. 

What were the recurrent coaching issues under Gus again?

In previous seasons, we would have wasted a time out in the 3rd quarter because someone lined up wrong or someone didn't get on the field when they were supposed to, and then we wouldn't have had all 3 time outs at the end of the game.  In previous years, a wasted timeout in the 3rd quarter would have cost us the game.

We have to give the coaching staff credit for the kind of coaching that happens during the week and in training camp- players being prepared, knowing their assignments, having backup long snappers prepared, and so on. That's long term coaching. A lot of people quibble about the short term aspect, do we make the right adjustments, do we have a good game plan, but it was long term coaching that won that game for us.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM by fredalwaysajag.)

(11-12-2017, 07:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: They could of cost us the game with coaching in the 1st half.  Just good to see they made the adjustments needed

I was a little hot at the half. You're at home , down by a point. Got the ball back with 40 some-odd seconds left and decent field position with all 3 of your TO's remaining. Why would u not try to go in with the lead?

Oh, and u just gained 8 yds on 1st down, btw
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~