Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
End of Regular Season Rookie Watch Review

(01-02-2018, 07:04 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 06:30 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Hooker, Latimore or Adams.

Latimore and Adams were the obvious elite talents available, and both had great rookie years.

Fournette is a great running back talent, but taking running backs at #4 overall is a luxury, and I'm not sure the Jaguars will have spent wisely when it's all said and done.

Now if he spends the next five or six seasons mostly healthy and performing like he did before the ankle injuries them I think he's a fine selection, I just doubt it happens as of now.
Not sure when RB in the top 5 somehow became taboo, but I submit Bortles would not have had the year he did without Fournette.  I think Fournette's presence not only put Jacksonville in better down and distance situations and continued drives with short yardage conversions, but he also changed the defenses leading to more 8 in the box, which is favorable for passing.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 07:51 PM by SeldomRite.)

(01-02-2018, 07:43 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 07:04 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Latimore and Adams were the obvious elite talents available, and both had great rookie years.

Fournette is a great running back talent, but taking running backs at #4 overall is a luxury, and I'm not sure the Jaguars will have spent wisely when it's all said and done.

Now if he spends the next five or six seasons mostly healthy and performing like he did before the ankle injuries them I think he's a fine selection, I just doubt it happens as of now.
Not sure when RB in the top 5 somehow became taboo, but I submit Bortles would not have had the year he did without Fournette.  I think Fournette's presence not only put Jacksonville in better down and distance situations and continued drives with short yardage conversions, but he also changed the defenses leading to more 8 in the box, which is favorable for passing.

I think Fournette helped a lot in some early games, but it's not like he didn't get shut down on the first tack game. Bortles has had some of his worst performances of the season with Fournette next to him in the backfield, so I don't think he should get much credit. In fact I think with ARob healthy and no Fournette, maybe Hunt or Kamara taken in a later round instead, Bortles would have had a better overall season.

In fact I'd liken the Jaguars taking Fournette at four to a home shopper putting in an above asking offer on the first house they look at in a buyer's market.

2017 was a ridiculous draft to make a reach on a RB.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Many believed that Fournette was worthy of the fourth overall pick before the draft and he may turn out to be. I don't remember seeing Latimore in anyone's top 5. That being said Fournette opened the season on fire then hit a brick wall. Injuries combined with having no real rest time from college, combine, pro's, and a heavy work load may have taken it's toll.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 08:28 PM by Upper.)

Why is there this myth that Fournette was killing it early in the season? His first 4 games YPC were a woeful 3.8, 2.8, 3.4, and 3.5 and then he was sitting at an unimpressive 27 carries for 91 yards (3.3 YPC) against the Steelers before his garbage time 90 yard TD.

I know the excuse is the stacked box thing, but as has been documented we started it by leading the league in 2 TE and/or FB sets so I don't buy that narrative at all. LF wasn't facing stacked boxes he was still facing equal, albeit more clogged, boxes.

(01-02-2018, 08:13 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Hindsight is always 20/20.  Many  believed that Fournette was worthy of the fourth overall pick before the draft and he may turn out to be.  I don't remember seeing Latimore in anyone's top 5.  That being said Fournette opened the season on fire then hit a brick wall.  Injuries combined with having no real rest time from college, combine, pro's, and a heavy work load may have taken it's toll.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...#pid978106

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Like any draft class, we won't be able to give it an accurate grade for at least one more season. However, at this point I'd give them between a B and B+. The best value pick was Cam Robinson and he should eventually become a pro-bowl left tackle. Not bad for a second rounder and if they hadn't traded up 1 spot he may have been gone. With the Brandon Albert fiasco, imagine how our line would have been without Robinson.

Fournette and Westbrook should be integral players for this team for a long time and by "stealing" Westbrook in the 4th and hitting a homer-run with Keelan Cole the team can afford to let Lee go elsewhere after this season. Fournette is the biggest question mark due to his running style, but if he can remain healthy the sky is the limit for him.

Smoot did what was expected of him and should stick around for at least a couple more seasons. However, had they taken Dan Feeney or Pat Elflein to further bolster the offensive line I would have given this draft an A grade. It just seems like the offensive line was a bigger need even though they had just taken Robinson.

At the time I would of took Jamal Adams, although at this point Lattimore looks really good in retrospect, then take a RB in the third round. I never considered Fournette the top RB available though I may have been wrong about which ones were better than him.