Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive game plan vs. Pitt.

(01-09-2018, 10:06 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The only way the Jaguars can win is to be significantly more aggressive on offense  than against the Bills. They knew going into the Bills game that the only way they could lose was to commit too many turnovers. That's why they hardly threw deep, especially when it was obvious that Blake  didn't have his "A" game- to put it mildly. The weather will naturally play a significant role in how the game is played. Personally, I want the conditions to be good enough to allow Bortles to open up in the passing game. I expect the Jags to come out throwing to get his confidence going. A confident Blake is capable of leading this team to a victory over the Steelers. The Steelers are the team with much greater pressure on them in this game and if they fall behind, Big Ben can't help help but remember back to the first game between the teams. The Steelers are also without their best defensive player, Ryan Shazier, which will enable Fournette, Grant, and Yeldon to be utilized in the screen game.

Bottom line, if the Jags come out too conservative they will lose handily. After last week's game, Blake has nothing else to lose so Hackett must open up the offense and hope the "good Blake" returns. They hardly threw to Cole last week and I have a hunch he will come up big in this game. This year's team has had several surprising outcomes (both good and bad) so it's impossible to predict how this game will play out. It will be fun seeing what their game plan is and how well they execute it.

I feel the same way. I want to see this team open a game up with a deep throw, go off play action if you need to.. Everyone and their mother knows we want to run the ball. So why not take a shot and give the defense something to think about? Act like you want to score points on offense!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-10-2018, 12:39 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 10:06 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The only way the Jaguars can win is to be significantly more aggressive on offense  than against the Bills. They knew going into the Bills game that the only way they could lose was to commit too many turnovers. That's why they hardly threw deep, especially when it was obvious that Blake  didn't have his "A" game- to put it mildly. The weather will naturally play a significant role in how the game is played. Personally, I want the conditions to be good enough to allow Bortles to open up in the passing game. I expect the Jags to come out throwing to get his confidence going. A confident Blake is capable of leading this team to a victory over the Steelers. The Steelers are the team with much greater pressure on them in this game and if they fall behind, Big Ben can't help help but remember back to the first game between the teams. The Steelers are also without their best defensive player, Ryan Shazier, which will enable Fournette, Grant, and Yeldon to be utilized in the screen game.

Bottom line, if the Jags come out too conservative they will lose handily. After last week's game, Blake has nothing else to lose so Hackett must open up the offense and hope the "good Blake" returns. They hardly threw to Cole last week and I have a hunch he will come up big in this game. This year's team has had several surprising outcomes (both good and bad) so it's impossible to predict how this game will play out. It will be fun seeing what their game plan is and how well they execute it.

I feel the same way. I want to see this team open a game up with a deep throw, go off play action if you need to.. Everyone and their mother knows we want to run the ball. So why not take a shot and give the defense something to think about? Act like you want to score points on offense!

I couldn't agree more.

We need to come out of the gates with an aggressive Offensive mind set. Play action, bootlegs and read options. Get that Steelers' Defense guessing, just like the 49ers did to us in the 1st quarter of that game.

If we can put them on their heels early, it opens up EVERYTHING else.

If we can play as well against the run as we did against Buffalo then the game becomes a lot easier for our defense. Ben isn't nearly as mobile as Taylor. They don't do roll out bootlegs and much misdirection. They like to get Bell going and stretching the field for big plays. This is exactly what our defense feasts on. Maybe with bad weather and their week off they come to the party sluggish and we can get on them early. We were trailing in the game 7-6 last time before Ben started throwing all his interceptions. We can't expect that again. Offense has to start quick and show up with a purpose. Force them to have to play some from behind so they have to force throws. It's really our best chance.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 08:32 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-09-2018, 07:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 07:08 PM)Dakota Wrote: Why is it that when other team's running backs get long yardage and we refer to it as big plays, but when Jacksonville does it, it's called skewed stats?

Just wondering. Did Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor have skewed stats too?

Because Fournette had literally one long yardage run that wasn't garbage time this year, and it just so happened to come from that personnel grouping. Obviously that would greatly skew the YPC per grouping.

So the 75 yarder against the Rams in the first quarter was garbage time.  Got it.

You should look up literally in the dictionary.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I'd like to see us take at least one shot down field... you know past 10 yards. That is unless the weather is horrendous. Either way, script some passing to set up the run and play action off of it. If we can get anywhere near the offensive production from the later part of the season minus the Titans game we're going to the big dance.
No pain, no gain.

(01-10-2018, 08:30 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 07:13 PM)Upper Wrote: Because Fournette had literally one long yardage run that wasn't garbage time this year, and it just so happened to come from that personnel grouping. Obviously that would greatly skew the YPC per grouping.

So the 75 yarder against the Rams in the first quarter was garbage time.  Got it.

You should look up literally in the dictionary.

Maybe you need to read that again...

Big Grin 

(01-07-2018, 05:34 PM)Dakota Wrote: What is this offensive game plan that you speak of?

How much did you get for your Sig space?

It feels weird to type this but with Fournette obviously not himself, Yeldon could be the key to this offense. Serious.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM by jtmoney.)

I just want us to call favorable plays based on what the defense is giving us. We have to throw on first down. Obviously not every time, but we can’t be predictable. Hackett can draw up some great game plans, but he also has games where you scratch your head. Ultimately we beat the bills so I’m not going to criticize him there too much, but I think we all believe that we will need to score points to win this game. We can’t keep giving up huge advantages on the outside when they have 8-9 guys in the box with the speed we have at WR. We have to take advantage of that.

And for the love of god, get Corey Grant in there. He can score a td anytime he touches that ball.

(01-10-2018, 12:18 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 05:34 PM)Dakota Wrote: What is this offensive game plan that you speak of?

How much did you get for your Sig space?

Not nearly enough..... Cry
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-10-2018, 09:22 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: I'd like to see us take at least one shot down field... you know past 10 yards. That is unless the weather is horrendous. Either way, script some passing to set up the run and play action off of it. If we can get anywhere near the offensive production from the later part of the season minus the Titans game we're going to the big dance.

I do think we match up pretty well WR to DB's. I see Burns took a knock in training today so it will be interesting to see how he is for Sunday. 

We have to take a deep shot when teams are stacking the box. That starts with Bortles and he has to have some confidence in his arm. We have Hurns, Lee, Cole, Westbrook, they offer us options. I'd imagine they'd try to out Haden on Hurns and try to take the route running away, but if we can get Westbrook or Cole matched up, they may hurt him with their speed.

They have Mitchell and Davis at safety, they are quick but can give up big plays.

No Shazier is the biggest problem for the Steelers. They don't have one guy who can do what he does so they will be switching LB's in and we may get some good matchups on crossing routes with WR's and with screens.

But Blake has to make the 5-8 yard slants or out routes to keep the chains moving.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 05:23 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

Come out with a sense of urgency. Like we aren't afraid to control the game on offense. We ate defenses up with our drags and crossing routes. If we just come out right away and run the ball twice that is about all I'll need to see from the offense to know we're doomed. Problem has been the offense doesn't want to do anything "risky" until they're behind or forced to. I'd like to see Marqise Lee and Allen Hurns contribute something to the game. Bortles should be confident in these guys... he's had them since the beginning.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 09:40 AM by JagginAndSwaggin.)

(01-07-2018, 06:47 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 05:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Pray for heavy heavy heavy snow storm.

The worse the weather, the better chance we have.

We assuming this because we can play D and run but then realize our key players are from florida/south and prolly dont like the cold tbh.

(01-10-2018, 08:22 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: We have to take a deep shot when teams are stacking the box. That starts with Bortles and he has to have some confidence in his arm.

I think that's a great point that may be getting a little lost when criticizing the coaches for play calling.

What would QBs like Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, and even a guy like Flacco do if they see a stacked box with 1 on 1 coverages and open spots deep? 

Yup, they'd see it, audible the play, and attack a weakness. 

Does Bortles still not have the option to audible into something he is seeing open? 
- Are the coaches still "forbidding" him that?
- Is he only limited to 2 or 3 plays to audible to?
- Does he not have a firm grasp/understanding of what he sees on the defense?

What's up with this?

We all know Bortles is no Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc. (not by a long shot). 
But C'mon, if he sees stacked boxes, why is he not changing a play to attack it deep or something? 

Seriously,, what's going on here with that?