Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BIG! Trump Proposes Term Limits for Congress

Quote:What does campaign reform have to do with my proposal to create term limits for Congress? IIRC that was how the 21st amendment passed.

trump thinks that limiting the number of terms a congress person can serve will remove corruption in Washington DC.  As I have said, it's the money that's corrupting, not the time spent there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, we don't.  We have winner take all representation. 

Proportional representation is exactly what we have in the House of Representatives.

Quote:What does campaign reform have to do with my proposal to create term limits for Congress? IIRC that was how the 21st amendment passed.

Best read up on it a bit more. Amendments don't just end up in ballots for one. Still requires 2/3 of congress to send to the states to ratify

Quote:Trump thinks that limiting the number of terms a Congress person can serve will remove corruption in Washington DC.  As I have said, it's the money that's corrupting, not the time spent there.

I was not talking about Trump specifically. In fact I did not know he talked about this. Whether he (God forbid) or Clinton wins the election, Congress will not vote for its own term limits, so it must go to the voters.

I think most Americans want term limits for Congress. Why wouldn't they? Obviously Trump is wrong about time being what makes Congress corrupt, but that does not mean it is a bad idea to set term limits.

Quote:Best read up on it a bit more. Amendments don't just end up in ballots for one. Still requires 2/3 of congress to send to the states to ratify

It's besides the point though, I think the main issue here is that limiting the number of years a congress person serves won't change the fact that they can be bought by billionaires and large corporations.

It would probably actually make it easier on corporatoins, every few years that just prop up another shill, out spend the opposing candidate and viola...  No fuss, no muss.  Plus, since these bought politicians only stick around for a temporary period of time, they never have the ability to gain enough credit or experience to really do anything on thier own to change the system.  They literally become the mouthpeice, rubber stamp, and law writings of the exact agenda the wealthy elite want.

You have to get rid of money in politics, that's the real solution.  Everything else is just window dressing.

Quote:Best read up on it a bit more. Amendments don't just end up in ballots for one. Still requires 2/3 of Congress to send to the states to ratify.

So what we need are representatives who plan to only serve two terms the first time they run for those offices.

Quote:I was not talking about Trump specifically. In fact I did not know he talked about this. Whether he (God forbid) or Clinton wins the election, Congress will not vote for its own term limits, so it must go to the voters.

I think most Americans want term limits for Congress. Why wouldn't they? Obviously Trump is wrong about time being what makes Congress corrupt, but that does not mean it is a bad idea to set term limits.

I don't think people have really thought through the pros and cons of termed limits...  I don't think it gets to the root of the problem...  That's my point.  But yes, you're right about the fact that congress would never vote to cut thier own throats, so to speak.

Quote:I don't think people have really thought through the pros and cons of termed limits...  I don't think it gets to the root of the problem...  That's my point.  But yes, you're right about the fact that congress would never vote to cut thier own throats, so to speak.
I'm sure plenty of people have thought through it. The thing is it it's not just as simple as applying term limits. As you noted if you don't take the money out of the equation it won't matter much. If you just allow politicians to be bought with the future promise of lobbying gigs or other high payed parachutes after they serve their limits then what is the point? 

Reform of that magnitude is going to require an amendment and it's going to have to come through an article 5 convention. the state and local politicians are much more in tune with the body politic and seem to be in favor of reform. Several states have already pass resolutions calling for a convention.

Quote:I'm sure plenty of people have thought through it. The thing is it it's not just as simple as applying term limits. As you noted if you don't take the money out of the equation it won't matter much. If you just allow politicians to be bought with the future promise of lobbying gigs or other high payed parachutes after they serve their limits then what is the point? 

Reform of that magnitude is going to require an amendment and it's going to have to come through an article 5 convention. the state and local politicians are much more in tune with the body politic and seem to be in favor of reform. Several states have already pass resolutions calling for a convention.

Money is corrupt during their terms, not after them. Less time in offices would mean less financial corruption unless voters keep putting the wrong people in Congress.

All 50 states need a convention, right?

Quote:Money is corrupt during their terms, not after them. Less time in offices would mean less financial corruption unless voters keep putting the wrong people in Congress.

All 50 states need a convention, right?
Money corrupts during their terms as well as after due to the high paid lobbying jobs or spots on various executive boards a lot of them get after they retire as a reward for the legislation they pushed through for the respective special interests. It's all part and parcel in financial corruption. 

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016, 10:31 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:Ohhh...  You mean, you'd rather have more of a french or european type House of Reps?
Yes, hence the flame shield.  I mean imagine being a Liberal in a district that always elects a Republican.  Or a Conservative in a district that always elects a Democrat.  Or a third party who feels their vote is being thrown away because their party never stands a chance.  Maybe you don't have to imagine.  I mean I don't.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.