Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL ratings decline article

Ratings down?

Goodell says these polls are rigged !!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Ratings down?

Goodell says these polls are rigged !!!
You mean blames the Russians.

Ratings are probably down because THEY STOPPED SHOWING THE SCORES.  Seriously.  I hate turning on the game, and then you can't even see what the score is half the time.  They don't seem to show scores from other games either.  Easier just to follow on NFL.com.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:The refs are absolutely putrid as well. 

The massive inconsistency is what really turns me away.

The officiating has understandably turned many NFL fans off.   The most recent MNF game between the Jets and Cardinals had 4 straight plays with penalties during the 3rd QTR.    Even more pronounced was some of the holding and pass interference calls in that game.   With so many alternative entertainment options in this era,  many people are going to find other things to do if the officiating is anything like it was in that particular prime time game.

Related to the overall discussion,  on NFL Sirius Radio,  the afternoon drive time commentators mentioned based on a survey done,  many people aren't watching whole games anymore because of the Red Zone Channel.    In part because of Fantasy Football interests 

Quote:The officiating has understandably turned many NFL fans off.   The most recent MNF game between the Jets and Cardinals had 4 straight plays with penalties during the 3rd QTR.    Even more pronounced was some of the holding and pass interference calls in that game.   With so many alternative entertainment options in this era,  many people are going to find other things to do if the officiating is anything like it was in that particular prime time game.

Related to the overall discussion,  on NFL Sirius Radio,  the afternoon drive time commentators mentioned based on a survey done,  many people aren't watching whole games anymore because of the Red Zone Channel.    In part because of Fantasy Football interests

Count me as one of them.  I usually watch the Jaguars whole game, but for the others I go to the Red Zone Channel.  It shows all of the action commercial free.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote: 

Count me as one of them.  I usually watch the Jaguars whole game, but for the others I go to the Red Zone Channel.  It shows all of the action commercial free.

It's ironic that the high success of one of the NFL's products has contributed to a decline in popularity of the NFL's core product.  

With technology and consumer preferences changing substantially,   the NFL is going to have to adapt to the different landscape.  

Quote:  The officiating has understandably turned many NFL fans off.   The most recent MNF game between the Jets and Cardinals had 4 straight plays with penalties during the 3rd QTR.    Even more pronounced was some of the holding and pass interference calls in that game. 
Thing is, I don't even mind the inconsistency nor do I mind the refs getting calls wrong. What I do mind is looking for the flag indication on the box score for every big play. Instead of celebrating a big play I find myself expecting a flag for holding or some other penalty and it just kills a lot of the enjoyment I have watching football. 

Quote:  It's ironic that the high success of one of the NFL's products has contributed to a decline in popularity of the NFL's core product.  

With technology and consumer preferences changing substantially,   the NFL is going to have to adapt to the different landscape.  
Honestly, looking at the NFL I kind of hope they go to a more pay-per-view format like they do with NFL Gamepass for people outside the US. They could very well drop commercials if they choose to go that route. 

Quote:Thing is, I don't even mind the inconsistency nor do I mind the refs getting calls wrong. What I do mind is looking for the flag indication on the box score for every big play. Instead of celebrating a big play I find myself expecting a flag for holding or some other penalty and it just kills a lot of the enjoyment I have watching football. 

Understandably.  

Until it's crystal clear that there won't be a penalty following a big play,   I'm either preparing for the worst to happen regarding a penalty wiping out a big play or hoping somehow that the team I'm rooting for benefited from a penalty by the other team.

Quote:Honestly, looking at the NFL I kind of hope they go to a more pay-per-view format like they do with NFL Gamepass for people outside the US. They could very well drop commercials if they choose to go that route. 

The question would then come to mind can the NFL make enough money off of a pay per view format w/o commercials?    Though people like myself would be willing to pay for games individually if that's what it takes to see the games of choice,   my guess is many people would be reluctant or unable to pay for the games considering the price likely would be high w/o commercials. 

Quote:  The question would then come to mind can the NFL make enough money off of a pay per view format w/o commercials?    Though people like myself would be willing to pay for games individually if that's what it takes to see the games of choice,   my guess is many people would be reluctant or unable to pay for the games considering the price likely would be high w/o commercials. 

What I would love to see is the ability to pay-per-view games live somehow.  Commercials really aren't that big of a deal to me as long as I don't miss any live game action.  I also think that the whole streaming on twitter thing for some of the Thursday night games needs to go.  I was irate when I couldn't watch one of the games earlier this season on NFL Network after purchasing a subscription for that.  In my opinion, the nationally televised games (Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night) should be broadcast on network television (along with the London games).

As it relates to politics and this particular thread, I don't think that networks should show the player "protests" during the National Anthem.  I do know that certainly doesn't help.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:  The question would then come to mind can the NFL make enough money off of a pay per view format w/o commercials?   
I wonder that myself as well. I pay €200 right now for NFL Gamepass which includes every game in the regular season and postseason as well as NFL network and NFL Redzone but I also understand that a lot of people watch the NFL casually and don't really want to pay that kind of money to watch the NFL, even without commercials. Additionally, there's the slight issue of anti-trust lawsuits which the NFL is vulnerable to, one of the reasons the DOJ hasn't come after the NFL is because their product is free-to-air. If they switch to PPV they might get the crap kicked out of them in the courts. 

Quote:What I would love to see is the ability to pay-per-view games live somehow.  Commercials really aren't that big of a deal to me as long as I don't miss any live game action.  I also think that the whole streaming on twitter thing for some of the Thursday night games needs to go.  I was irate when I couldn't watch one of the games earlier this season on NFL Network after purchasing a subscription for that.  In my opinion, the nationally televised games (Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night) should be broadcast on network television (along with the London games).

As it relates to politics and this particular thread, I don't think that networks should show the player "protests" during the National Anthem.  I do know that certainly doesn't help.

Last year when the Jaguars played the Bills in London,   I was not happy at all that the game wasn't on a TV station I could access.   Though I'm more than comfortable watching replays of games on the Internet,  the live streaming isn't reliable enough.   

This season,  I have been fortunate to be able to access all of the Thursday Night games on NFL Network. 

One aspect of watching a game on TV compared to the Internet that appeals to me is the TIVO feature on Direct TV.   This enables me to watch a play more than once before going to the next play.    As someone who wants to know as much as possible what happens on a play,   the TIVO feature is invaluable. 

Quote:I wonder that myself as well. I pay €200 right now for NFL Gamepass which includes every game in the regular season and postseason as well as NFL network and NFL Redzone but I also understand that a lot of people watch the NFL casually and don't really want to pay that kind of money to watch the NFL, even without commercials. Additionally, there's the slight issue of anti-trust lawsuits which the NFL is vulnerable to, one of the reasons the DOJ hasn't come after the NFL is because their product is free-to-air. If they switch to PPV they might get the crap kicked out of them in the courts. 

Good point about the legal ramifications.   As much or more than anything,   the NFL wants to protect it's legal status.  It's certainly one of the major reasons why NFL games are no longer blacked out in Primary and Secondary markets of teams.  

Quote:The commercial breaks are terrible. From the point where a TD is scored (then a kickoff goes into the end zone for a touch back) to the point where the 1st play is run I timed it 2x and in the 1st case 5:10 elapsed and the other 5:26 elapsed. Over 5 freaking minutes of nothing after a team scores a TD

You know it's ridiculous when you can flick through 4 games or so and all are on commercial breaks. But when there's no other game on it just makes it boring.

The EPL makes crap loads of money and doesn't stop the game to show commercials. Why can't the NFL.

The ridiculous catch rule followed by a never ending review makes you want to throw the remote at the TV.

Quote:LOL.  Reminds me of Muhamad Ali's take on why he decided to protest the draft of Vietnam.  He said no Viet-cong ever called him a derogatory name...

Now we have athletes that want to make a peaceful statement and that's the reason you think ratings are down?  The number or nimrods that don't watch football because a few of the players kneel for the anthem would not make a blip on the ratings.  There just aren't that many ignorant people out there that are also football fans.  Dont get me wrong, there are quite a few.  But they aren't turning off the TV on Sundays at a level that would make a difference to the ratings.

No.  The cheating of the patriots, the feeling that the refs create outcomes that are desired by the NFL, too many penalties, and the fact that the game is becoming less and less football and more like Ultimate Frisbee is the reason for the lack of ratings this year.

You continue to astound me...  Ali was protesting conscription into the Army at a time when people who looked like him weren't being allowed to VOTE!  

C. Kaep is regurgitating crap that he heard from his GF.  Anytime he is given the floor he just says "this needs to be addressed" the lack of substance is only usurped by the efforts of some to paint over his shortcomings and speak for him to prop up the (movement).  

The core demographic for the NFL is still a lot of red blooded Americans who actually like this country.  First it was being beaten to death about Michael Sam, now it's about beating us down with the anthem.  What's next?  

Quote: 

Their constant desire for and increase in revenue and new revenue outlets have resulted in three hour broadcasts of games that average around an actual 11 minutes of playtime. their website is unusable due to advertisement. fantasy football is another money grab that has been crammed down the throats of NFL consumers that IMO has hurt the actual game.

<div>
<div>How much actual playing time in a football game?
</div>
An average professional <b>football game</b> lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the <b>time</b> when the ball is actually in <b>play</b>, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes. Part of the discrepancy has to do with the basic rules of American <b>football</b>.

http://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game...s-of-play/

</div>

wait what?  As a kid, you kinda get suspicious of the whole santa, toothfairy thing.  When you find out that's not real part of you is kind of expecting it...  But this?  man...  i need a drink.

Ratings still tanking. I can't imagine a 6-6 SNF game has anything to do with it.

The games suck right now. A 6-6 tie is considered one of the best games of the season. Chew on that. Combine it with fallout over domestic violence, player health, player behavior, terrible officiating, growing anti-football sentiment amongst parents, expansion into foreign markets that will never care about American football, the resurgence of the No Fun League and, yes, the brave decision of a small group of men to exercise their Constitutional rights in the most unpopular way imaginable, and you get crap ratings.

Quote:The games suck right now. A 6-6 tie is considered one of the best games of the season. Chew on that. Combine it with fallout over domestic violence, player health, player behavior, terrible officiating, growing anti-football sentiment amongst parents, expansion into foreign markets that will never care about American football, the resurgence of the No Fun League and, yes, the brave decision of a small group of men to exercise their Constitutional rights in the most unpopular way imaginable, and you get crap ratings.

I would add in the excessive commercial breaks and I think we have a pretty good list of the combined factors that are killing ratings. When something as big/powerful as the NFL starts to decline, it's rarely just 1 factor.