Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"Death by China" Documentary by Peter Navarro - Member of Trump Economic Council

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 05:00 PM by badger.)

Where have the jobs gone?  Here's an answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlmjXtnIXI

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Where have the jobs gone?  Here's an answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlmjXtnIXI

Why does everyone focus on China and Mexico but India somehow gets ignored?

Quote:Why does everyone focus on China and Mexico but India somehow gets ignored?

It's not being ignored.  I think the desire of the American people is to bring more jobs here, irregardless of where the job was shipped overseas.  However, as you will see in the video, China is one of the worst violators of human rights on the planet.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 05:06 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:Why does everyone focus on China and Mexico but India somehow gets ignored?

Politically, I suspect it has to do with the types of jobs lost and where they were lost. China and Mexico have taken a lot of manufacturing jobs. Those were considered the "backbone of America" and were largely located in swing states like Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The jobs lost to India seem to be mostly lower level white collar jobs and are spread throughout the country.

;

;

Good point. Seems like people ignore the amount of IT jobs being outsourced over there. I've done some IT work on freelancer.com and it is VERY hard to compete with some of their bids.

I like these discussions. And let me state for the record I refuse to outsource our jobs, but I also spend 2-3 months in countries like Slovakia, Hungary, and Austria. And they have a workforce just begging for tech jobs.

IMHO - Tech, Communication, design, engineering and many other types of jobs went overseas when the Internet boomed. Period. It's now a veritable "global" economy.

You can literally have an employee stationed just about anywhere in the world. Why pay a local American a real wage, plus benefits when there are overpopulated 3rd World employees who will do the same job for mere nickels?

China basically said, "Send us your pollution-creating manufacturing plants" and we obliged readily.

I could go on but I might sound like a republican again.

Quote:I like these discussions. And let me state for the record I refuse to outsource our jobs, but I also spend 2-3 months in countries like Slovakia, Hungary, and Austria. And they have a workforce just begging for tech jobs.

IMHO - Tech, Communication, design, engineering and many other types of jobs went overseas when the Internet boomed. Period. It's now a veritable "global" economy.

You can literally have an employee stationed just about anywhere in the world. Why pay a local American a real wage, plus benefits when there are overpopulated 3rd World employees who will do the same job for mere nickels?

China basically said, "Send us your pollution-creating manufacturing plants" and we obliged readily.

I could go on but I might sound like a republican again.

Even worse they steal your design and sell a knock of it at an even lower price.

Tariffs won't bring jobs back. Those manufacturing plants are not coming back again.

Quote:Good point. Seems like people ignore the amount of IT jobs being outsourced over there. I've done some IT work on freelancer.com and it is VERY hard to compete with some of their bids.

Not those of us in that field. Half the people who report to me operate out of Mumbai. The outsourcing may be cheaper, but the level of rework required is off the charts. The operations we deal with have such rapid turnover that it's impossible to find and retain decent help, but the corporate policy is to keep costs down and farm as much to offshore as possible. Can't win.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Not those of us in that field. Half the people who report to me operate out of Mumbai. The outsourcing may be cheaper, but the level of rework required is off the charts. The operations we deal with have such rapid turnover that it's impossible to find and retain decent help, but the corporate policy is to keep costs down and farm as much to offshore as possible. Can't win.

Don't ever suggest it, but your employer should really look into the Czech / Slovenia /Slovakia workforce. I spend some time over there and see more Americanization every visit. Most speak English very well and at least another foreign language (German and Italian are popular). And they work very hard for very little - and are happy to do so.

Jenna Jameson {yes, that Jenna Jameson...} once angrily spouted that those Eastern European girls were ruining the adult film industry b/c they would do virtually anything just for a potato. Ah - the bitterness.

Of course, donald trump also chose a women half his age from that region to be his next "wife" - want to guess why?

My 14 year old nephew can do the task of an IT weenie.

Quote:Not those of us in that field. Half the people who report to me operate out of Mumbai. The outsourcing may be cheaper, but the level of rework required is off the charts. The operations we deal with have such rapid turnover that it's impossible to find and retain decent help, but the corporate policy is to keep costs down and farm as much to offshore as possible. Can't win.

Yep, the quality of code that comes back is very poor. Their lack of understanding the actual processes their code is supporting also makes it difficult.