Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Camp Battles

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 07:22 AM by ColoJag.)

We got ourselves some competition, finally!!! This summer/fall we could see some guys who played significant roles last year get cut due to the influx in talent. So some battles to look out for:

Starting Center/Guard--One of those spots will be occupied with Linder,but the other spot is wide open. Bowanko? Berdeneau? Shatley? Joekel?

Corner from top to bottom--we want Ramsey at our #1 and House at #2 and Prince in the slot but when Colvin comes back where does that leave him? Also,who makes the depth guys spots,Gratz? McCray? Marshall? Reynolds? Thompson? Boody-Calhoun?

Saftey--- we all know cyp and sample will battle it out and the the loser will be the backup but at FS who will be the backup,Evans? Loston? Thompson?

Dline---So many new names and faces along the Dline with I would imagine as 8 guys who are locks it leaves 2-4 guys open to be depth players,Alualu? Bennett? Woodard? Ash? Smith? Q.Smith? Davis? Holmes?

Back up Tight end--Julius and Lewis are the 1 and 2 but who will be the 3/4 tightend, koyack? Jacobs? UDFA?

Back up Running Back---got yeldon and ivory but who gets the next spot,Robinson? Grant? Gray? Banyard?

Backup Quarterback---is it time for Henne to sail off into the sunset or will he beat out Allen?

Could be alot of good battles for those depth spots which will make camp even more fun to watch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Center is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

I hope they make the pick early so the line has time to gel.

Bowanko winning it as an improved player would be nice. He has lots of power surrounding him with Cann and Linder. Joeckel can play RT so he's not the worst flex tackle we could have.

I think corner isn't going to be as exciting. House and Ramsey start day 1. But since we right and left side the field, I think they play to the side that suits them. Prince in the slot adds a nice touch. Colvin when he returns will add good ball skills and a nice blitzing presence.

That leaves 1 or 2 spots open. I hope Marshall is left on the roster to improve and play ST. I still have hope for McCray he can play press corner for us. If not, someone may emerge as a 5/6 guy.

Safety is all about sample vs cyp. I think Marshall may sneak on as a FS backup too. Possibly even Gratz there.

I rather keep 2 or 3 TEs and stash an extra linemen and RB. I like gray and Denard (will he ever stop fumbling though?). Develop a big lineman to take over at center please!

One position you didn't mention was 5th LB. Telvin Poz jack and skuta will see heavy playing time. Who makes the roster as a ST and versatile backer?

D line is loaded from the inside out. We will get to the passer from the inside or out. Can we stop the run and get to screens on 3rd? Well see.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 10:26 AM by Bullseye.)

Intraposition competition I want to watch:

RB-Who wins between Yeldon and Ivory

C/G-Linder/Bowanko/Bernadeau

LT-Joeckel v Beachum

3 WR-Does Lee take the step up we've been waiting for , or does Green take the next step and pass Lee?

SS-Finally paired with a quality FS, does Cyprien find his comfort zone in the box, or is he overtaken by Sample.

CB-Who is 2nd and 3rd CB between Prince Amukumara and House?  Does Marshall progress in Colvin's absence to become 5th or even 4th CB?

LB-Will the starting trio be W-Smith, M-Poz, S-Jack, or W-Smith, M-Jack, S Skuta?;  In other words, will they keep the usual OTTO concept at LB, or will they move to a more traditional paradigm?

DT-There are so many bodies here, so much depth, so much quality.  Besides Alualu, I will hate to see the cuts.

DE-Does Fowler stay healthy and provide the impact we envisioned?  Do we find a nugget or two in the rookies between Yannick, Holmes, and the last guy?

K

Of the UDFA-who wins the Hurns award?

Inter positional battles are just as intriguing to me.

Rookie Jalen Ramsey v. all of the WRs.

Rookie Myles Jack v. TE Julius Thomas and Marcedes Lewis

DT Malik Jackson, et al. v. Cann/Linder/G to be named later?

DE Fowler, Yannick, et al v. Joeckel/Beachum

In other words, by far, this should be the most interesting and entertaining training camp we've seen here in AGES.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Don't forget Neal Sterling.   He was drafted last year as a WR, but he has a TE body, and he could be our 3rd TE.  

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 10:30 AM by Ronster.)

Jack Allen, Center, Michigan State, is UN-drafted.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/02/10...igan-state

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 10:43 AM by rfc17.)

I just wrote this in another thread but it might actually be a better spot for this one....   (this assumes health for everyone)

As far as the defensive line, Marks, Miller, Malik, Odrick, Fowler, Yannick are locks to get serious playing time.  As a 4th rounder I'd be stunned if Day didnt make the team and if he is as much of an up the field penetrator as they say, I imagine he'll be in the regular rotation.  That's 7 players.  We usually have 10 Dlineman on our 53 man roster.  Who are the other 3 going to be?  Abry Jones? Michael Bennett?  Ryan Davis?  Tyson Alualu?  The 2 late round rookies?  We're going to be cutting someone who will be good enough to find a spot on another team.  Nice problem to have.

Age could work against Alualu.  I was under the impression they like Abry and Bennett(and their youth should help them) but if someone else plays their niche better, they could be out of luck.  A lot of it probably depends on how good or bad the late round rookies look.  If they show real ability, I think all those guys I just listed are in real trouble.  But if the late round rookies only warrant practice squad roles, then the only real question to me is if Alualu is good enough to overcome the fact he is older than the other guys.

Q;  Does Ryan Davis' versatility (i.e. ability to rush outside or inside) keep him on the roster another year, do one of the DE's push him off the roster, or does Sheldon Day?

Quote:Q;  Does Ryan Davis' versatility (i.e. ability to rush outside or inside) keep him on the roster another year, do one of the DE's push him off the roster, or does Sheldon Day?

Doesnt hurt.  But if Day shows to be a really good penetrator inside and one of the rookies flashes off the edge, I think Davis could be out of luck.  Fowler and Malik are guys that are supposed to be versatile and rush from anywhere as well.  Odrick too in a way.  You could have Fowler and Malik lining up anywhere.  Yannick off the edge.  Maybe Day inside, another rookie outside.  Not a lot of room for Davis there.

Of those 4 guys I mentioned above, I think Abry might be the safest just because he is a big fat space eater and we dont have too many of them.  I think Alualu is probably out of luck.  I think Davis and Bennett will be fighting hard.

If Alualu becomes expendable, I wonder if he's worth a draft pick from someone.  A 5th or so.

Quote:D line is loaded from the inside out. We will get to the passer from the inside or out. Can we stop the run and get to screens on 3rd? Well see.

If Telvin and Jack are at the second level, yes, I like our chances.

These guys won't be just battling with some other guy for their own position.    They'll also be battling with the guy across the line of scrimmage from them.   Those will be interesting training camp battles, too, where the competition this year should be at a much higher level than last year.  

Fowler vs Joeckel/Beachum

Ramsey vs Robinson

Jack vs Julius Thomas

Bortles vs Tashaun Gipson

Quote:If Alualu becomes expendable, I wonder if he's worth a draft pick from someone. A 5th or so.

Ha
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Marty,

Great minds think alike.

Camp Battles....... Entire defense

Twitter Follow: @jSp3nce

Besides the ones already mentioned....

Don't sleep on Earl Wolff at FS either. He could prove to be a top backup if he can overcome his injuries.

Arrelious Benn is a name to keep in mind for that 5th/6th WR spot. He was all but a lock to make the roster last year after having a great camp and preseason if not for him breaking his collarbone.

Neil Sterling could be developed to play the "Clay Harbor" role.

Tyrone Holmes may be asked to play the "LOTTO" position (both OTTO and LEO) along with Skuta so that could get interesting.

Back up LB with Pullard, Tripp and, Armbrister will be interesting to watch because out of the 3 one will most likely not make it.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."