Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What the press are saying...

Quote: 

I have my doubts about Bradley. I think his in-game decisions (timeout use, challenge use, going for it on 4th) have been questionable. But we shall see. I have been wrong before.

Not defending Bradley so much as just wanting to say, every single coach does dumb stuff.   Heck, even Bill Belichick went for it on 4th down on his own 30 yard line last year or year before.   I remember that.   It was a totally boneheaded decision.  

My point is, we see every single decision Gus Bradley makes, so we know all the dumb moves, but if you watch these other teams, their coaches make dumb moves, too.   Every coach does.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Not defending Bradley so much as just wanting to say, every single coach does dumb stuff.   Heck, even Bill Belichick went for it on 4th down on his own 30 yard line last year or year before.   I remember that.   It was a totally boneheaded decision.  

My point is, we see every single decision Gus Bradley makes, so we know all the dumb moves, but if you watch these other teams, their coaches make dumb moves, too.   Every coach does.  
Agreed. People like to think that Gus should have made the playoffs his first 2 years with the depleted roster and rebuild.. they are like "we don't care if you don't make the playofsf you suck lol"

Quote:Agreed. People like to think that Gus should have made the playoffs his first 2 years with the depleted roster and rebuild.. 

Almost nobody thought that

;

;

Quote:I might be alone in this, but I feel like the media is talking about us too much. I never was one of those "no respect" guys but everything has gone all "Bizarro World." The amusing side effect of this however, is we actively have bonafide haters now...whereas in I don't think we did in recent memory...so I guess that's a plus.

The media praise makes me uncomfortable!

Quote:Agreed. People like to think that Gus should have made the playoffs his first 2 years with the depleted roster and rebuild.. they are like "we don't care if you don't make the playofsf you suck lol"
I don't recall a single poster saying we should have made the playoffs 2 years ago.

Last year, when our offense started to click and our division was abysmal, maybe yes.

Quote:I don't recall a single poster saying we should have made the playoffs 2 years ago.

Last year, when our offense started to click and our division was abysmal, maybe yes.

I think once we see Dante on field, people will realize the impact...impact players have on the level of play on the field. We will see Dante as the difference between a couple wins and a couple losses. If that does indeed happen, as I think it will, we would have been a 7-9 team last year with him. Which would have been right on pace. And no one would be talking about Gus being on the hot seat.

Quote:I think once we see Dante on field, people will realize the impact...impact players have on the level of play on the field. We will see Dante as the difference between a couple wins and a couple losses. If that does indeed happen, as I think it will, we would have been a 7-9 team last year with him. Which would have been right on pace. And no one would be talking about Gus being on the hot seat.

So coming down to a few players?  Seriously we might luck in to backups and journeymen but the opportunities were blown last year.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...e-together

New defense all together

https://www.nfl.com/now/10103061-7033-00...sf25682118

Playoffs? ...playoffs? You talkin bout...playoffs??!

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

I'm not calling anyone out but complaining every year about how the team should've/could've won more games and it's the Head Coaches fault may not scream Playoffs from fans but it definitely shows that alot of you thought we should've been fighting for the division.  We won 2 games and then 3 games with mostly scrubs and people said that a good coach would've done more every year.  I'm not defending Gus but just calling it how its already been written and spelled out.  Last year was a chance at success and with a team that hasn't had success, nor has anyone on the roster as far as superstars in the NFL elsewhere, so w/e on that note but we did ALOT better than most expected before the season started.  Then it went back to its the HC since that was the prior years argument so it only makes sense right. lol. 

People complain because when something bad happens they always feel "somewhat" right and if it gets really bad they feel like Einstein's protégé.  Those same people though act like they have special insight on NFL knowledge based of the skyhigh odds of nobody being perfect, so somethings bound to go wrong no matter what.  It gets old but if everyone was on the same page I'd fear that either the end of the world is near or something catastrophic is happening, because those are almost the only times people show humility and understanding the most.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...cksonville

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...cksonville

That table of draft capital spent on defence vs. offence is very telling. 24.6% then 3.9% in 2013-2014. Then 73.3% and 99.5% in 2015-2016. You can certainly see the plan - build one side of the ball, then the other, then maintain.

But what was really interesting to me was the adjusted figure when you discount Dante Fowler Jr - down from 73.3% to 11.3%. That's a big hit in terms of the plan to improve the defence from that point, and it maps perfectly to a team that would have been far more successful in the win/loss column with just a hint of a pass rush. As much as I laugh at people for saying DFJ may benefit from his injury, I think the team may benefit - if he'd played to a high level in his rookie season, we wouldn't have sniffed the fifth overall pick, and if we get him back at full strength along with this year's rookies we'll have done better over a two-year period once it all shakes out.

Quote:That table of draft capital spent on defence vs. offence is very telling. 24.6% then 3.9% in 2013-2014. Then 73.3% and 99.5% in 2015-2016. You can certainly see the plan - build one side of the ball, then the other, then maintain.

But what was really interesting to me was the adjusted figure when you discount Dante Fowler Jr - down from 73.3% to 11.3%. That's a big hit in terms of the plan to improve the defence from that point, and it maps perfectly to a team that would have been far more successful in the win/loss column with just a hint of a pass rush. As much as I laugh at people for saying DFJ may benefit from his injury, I think the team may benefit - if he'd played to a high level in his rookie season, we wouldn't have sniffed the fifth overall pick, and if we get him back at full strength along with this year's rookies we'll have done better over a two-year period once it all shakes out.
This illustrates the flaw of the argument of those who maintain Bradley is a bad coach because defense is his specialty but it has been bad since he's been here.  I long argued he hasn't had the talent on that side of the ball because the team hadn't invested much on that side of the ball.

Is it theoretically possible that this draft class will completely bust.  Yes.

But it's unlikely. 

I think even without this year's draft class, there is enough talent on the defense to legitimately hold Bradley accountable if the defense does not show improvement.

Quote:Lucky 13

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2557...still-no-1

WOW!!!!!! 13th??  PP ranked the Jags 13th on the power ranking scale.

I haven't seen the Jags ranked that high in quite some time.

That 1st game against the Packers will really be a measuring stick for the Jags right out of the gate.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:WOW!!!!!! 13th??  PP ranked the Jags 13th on the power ranking scale.

I haven't seen the Jags ranked that high in quite some time.

That 1st game against the Packers will really be a measuring stick for the Jags right out of the gate.
I agree that will be a measuring stick game.

But I think midseason will be just as indicative of progress.  If healthy, by then the newcomers to the defense will likely have acclimated to the scheme, such that they will be more instinctive and their reactions quicker.