Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Realistic target for 2016

Quote:i just want players to remain healthy

^yup

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Jaguars 2016 preseason schedule features nationally-televised, prime-time Week 3 game against Cincinnati at EverBank Field; other opponents include New York Jets, Tampa Bay and Atlanta

-Source Jaguars.com

=====================================================

Of course you want the players to be healthy and some would argue to play vanilla (playbook only core plays or less) in the preseason. I wonder how important is it to win PreSeason games? Do you want to start off with the confidence gained from the franchise winning each week or would you rather only win the first two?

Preseason records, and mostly performance, means nothing in terms of how the team will look in the Regular season.

How many years in a row now have the Jags offense and defense looked good on preseason games, and then sucked yet again in the regular season?

(Last year against Steelers and Lions,, I remember all the fan posts about how good the Jags looked against vanilla defenses and basic offenses.)

Preseason means nothing but Reps and Health, IMO.

Quote:Allow me to answer your question with a question.  Do you think the fans in Boston would be happy with 8-8?  How about Green Bay?  Denver has no proven QB how about those fans?  Why should I be happy with 8-8?

This team has a legitimate offense.  This team has added some weapons on defense.  This team plays in a weak division.  Anything less than 9-7 and Gus needs to be shown the door.  Period!

I really don't care much about what makes other fans happy. Some might be happy only with a Super Bowl win. To me, you replace Gus if you believe he is a big part of the reason the team is under-performing and/or you believe you have a significant upgrade. Given the talent level on the team, I believe 8-8 would be acceptable to give him another year, as I don't have a great deal of confidence that a change in coaching staffs would significantly improve things, and I would be OK with an 8-8 record, as long as the team didn't stink on ice for the losing games. 

So another way of looking at the issue might be - if you believe Gus is a big part of why the team hasn't performed as well as you believe it ought to have done, who do you replace him with?

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Quote:I really don't care much about what makes other fans happy. Some might be happy only with a Super Bowl win. To me, you replace Gus if you believe he is a big part of the reason the team is under-performing and/or you believe you have a significant upgrade. Given the talent level on the team, I believe 8-8 would be acceptable to give him another year, as I don't have a great deal of confidence that a change in coaching staffs would significantly improve things, and I would be OK with an 8-8 record, as long as the team didn't stink on ice for the losing games. 

So another way of looking at the issue might be - if you believe Gus is a big part of why the team hasn't performed as well as you believe it ought to have done, who do you replace him with?
Who knows but do you really think Gus is getting the most out of this team?

Quote:I don't think Dave should even be close to being fired. This team lacks coaching. Dave has done a good job of gathering talent on this team IMO.

Agreed.

9-7 is tricky. This team and organization needs a winning record. You can try to change the culture all you want but at the end of the day, winning is all that matters. I think he needs to make the playoffs and if that means 9-7 then I'm cool.

To me, getting franchise to a level of consistent playoff appearances is the goal in order to maximize your chances of winning it all. You evaluate Gus by how much he helps/hinders that goal in relation to other options.

There will be a TON of media analysts who will pick the Jags as a surprise team to make the playoffs (just like Minnesota last year) and we need to meet those expectations.

Screw media expectations.

I'm not scared of anyone in our division. I think our offense is the best in the South and if Gus can actually do what he's supposed to (get together the defense) then we should really win the division.

If we stay healthy, I think we have a good shot of winning the division. 

An influx of talent is coming to the defense. If you can't get a good defense with players like Marks, Fowler, Smith, Jackson, Prince, House, Gipson, Jack/Bosa/Ramsey, Colvin, Poz, Odrick...... Then you need the boot.

Again, health is a factor, as is development of some other factors on other teams. Let me give you two scenarios. First scenario - We lose one of our top three offensive weapons for most of the year, and one of our top 4 for half of it. We also lose our best defensive player for most of the year, and our number one draft pick this year. Second scenario -  another team, say Houston, has a huge season by Osweiler and Clowney, and sweeps us, and we split with an improved Colts and Titans team. In both cases we might not win the division, or maybe even have a winning record, but I would probably not call for Gus to be fired, as he was not the cause of our performing below what might be otherwise expected. Also, 
with whom who do you replace him?

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Who knows but do you really think Gus is getting the most out of this team?
No. I imagine Belichick could do better, maybe Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, a few others. But that is not the question. The question is, who do you suggest that is available that would be significantly better? I do not advocate changing just for the sake of change. You change to bring about improvement.

<p class="bbc_left"> 

Quote:Who knows but do you really think Gus is getting the most out of this team?
To be fair, it's difficult to get the most out of this team when you've had to deal with the number of injuries to high profile players this team has had to contend with over the past 3 years.  When you lose guys like Poz, Fowler, Linder, any one of your receivers, or any other key player in the mix for any period of time, that creates challenges, especially when the rebuild blew the roster up and rebooted with much younger, less experienced depth. 

Even some of the best coaches in the league, when faced with similar circumstances, might get a win or two more out of this roster, and I stress the might. 

The one thing that has been consistent over the tenure of Bradley (and this extends back to every head coach) is that it seems this team is snake bitten when it comes to the injury bug.  The good news is that the depth on the roster continues to improve, meaning that injuries to guys other than Bortles will more than likely not force a major step backward for this team.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:No. I imagine Belichick could do better, maybe Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, a few others. But that is not the question. The question is, who do you suggest that is available that would be significantly better? I do not advocate changing just for the sake of change. You change to bring about improvement.
Do you know who will be available at the end of next season? That would surely help me answer that question for you.