Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Worst Sports Radio Topics

Quote:I agree. SEC media days is the most pointless and boring stuff.
...and ACC media days.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sports talk radio kinda bores me after a while. When im driving in the early morning, I listen to George Noory on Coast to Coast.. Thats my Sasquatch news..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Yeah the dead zone blows chunks, but let's be honest we listen anyway.  

Although this does beg the question, is 930 still on the air?

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:Poker

/thread
+1000

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016, 08:36 PM by Caldrac.)

I honestly only listen to Mike Dempsey on my lunch break and sometimes during work. I like his approaches on the radio. And I like the fact that he doesn't shy away from taking shots or poking at Ryan O'Hallaran when he's on there. Then Ryan O is on there from time to time. Mike atleast tries to keep it interesting and acknowledges the deadzone for the most part. I enjoy the Jaguars Today show and the fan feedback questions they get out there. Topics for me though that I don't care to hear about is anything not football related. LOL. That's basically it. If it's not football related I tend to tune out really, really quick.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Segment wise, brunch with the tour.  And as much as people like to [BLEEP] about a sports radio show "not talking sports", I think it is more entertaining during the dead period to hear more about current news events or tv shows/movies vs the above mentioned forced topics to try and get listeners to contribute.  

Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

Quote:Yeah the dead zone blows chunks, but let's be honest we listen anyway.  

Although this does beg the question, is 930 still on the air?

I tuned to 930 the other day, and found out they are back in the sports talk radio business, with national programs like Dan Patrick.  

Yep, Dempsey is the only Jax radio guy I can stand anymore.

We have a show here in Portland called Isaac and Suk that is awesome radio. They talk about sports about as much as they talk about drinking, or movies or weird news stories. Plus they rail on Duck and Seahawk fans which is nice. It's really a great show- I wonder if it will eventually become syndicated.

Actually Portland talk radio is interesting because most of the talking heads are relatively young. None of these grandfathered blowhards who ran out of stuff to talk about decades ago- see: Frangie, Lamm, Prosser, etc.

Quote:Yep, Dempsey is the only Jax radio guy I can stand anymore.

We have a show here in Portland called Isaac and Suk that is awesome radio. They talk about sports about as much as they talk about drinking, or movies or weird news stories. Plus they rail on Duck and Seahawk fans which is nice. It's really a great show- I wonder if it will eventually become syndicated.
how do you listen to Jax radio? A app?

Quote:how do you listen to Jax radio? A app?

iTunes.

1010XL has an app too.

Quote:how do you listen to Jax radio? A app?

1010xl website. I listen to Dempsey while I'm at work.

That's easy. Whenever they talk about The Bachelor.
Only a chump boos the home team!

There's been a lot of opinions of topics that are "the worst sports radio topics", what are some ideas to what they should be talking about? Just curious to hear some of the suggested topics.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I was speaking of the new one, she came over from the Tampa franchises.
Amanda is pretty cool and usually stops by our tailgate on game day, mike in hand.  She's on point, seems knowledgeable of all things Jags, and handles good natured ribbing like a pro.  Looking forward to her detailed opinion of male epilation on opening day.

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

Quote:There's been a lot of opinions of topics that are "the worst sports radio topics", what are some ideas to what they should be talking about? Just curious to hear some of the suggested topics.

Something different that hasn't been done 1000 times already. A few years ago Dempsey did a show where people compared different sports personalities to comic book characters or super heroes. This came shortly after the Bobby Petrino motorcycle fiasco, so someone calling him Ghost Rider set it all off. I think shows like that are the most fun when the hosts come up with a creative topic instead of the tired "Best BLANK of all-time" or "Mt. Rushmore of BLANK." Those just scream that they don't have any ideas of what to talk about.

;

;

Quote:Something different that hasn't been done 1000 times already. A few years ago Dempsey did a show where people compared different sports personalities to comic book characters or super heroes. This came shortly after the Bobby Petrino motorcycle fiasco, so someone calling him Ghost Rider set it all off. I think shows like that are the most fun when the hosts come up with a creative topic instead of the tired "Best BLANK of all-time" or "Mt. Rushmore of BLANK." Those just scream that they don't have any ideas of what to talk about.

Especially when you can mark you calendar with it.

Some of them revolve around people's vacations (which happen the same time) and the week leading up to certain events.

I get it.  They keep historical program books/notes.  They could just tweak it a little more.  Don't just run the same topic the same week you did last year.  And the year before, and the year before...  You have a year to think about how to do it better.  Don't just mail it in and rehash the same thing.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

For the most part it's about current events. That's how sports radio works. I am not sure why all the bellyaching.

;

Quote:For the most part it's about current events. That's how sports radio works. I am not sure why all the bellyaching.

No bellyaching, just stating fact.  It's like someone shot your dog, however... just talking about programming.

Not sure what's bunched your panties about it.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:No bellyaching, just stating fact.  It's like someone shot your dog, however... just talking about programming.

Not sure what's bunched your panties about it.
Not at all, and not meant as a shot. It's the other side of the argument. I just don't see how much can be changed when it comes to sports talk. You have the sporting events going on today. You talk about what is relevant at the time. 

;