Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What changed with Dante

Quote:*Disclaimer* This question might be a little late since we justt signed malik and id say are likely out of the vernon sweepstakes but its still floating so i thought id finally ask.

pretty sure everyone was fine with Dante as the man at LEO last year despite being a rookie (obv) but then he tore his acl and all of a sudden its "we dont know who he is he hasnt played we cant bet on him!"

ACLs just arent that serious anymore so i cant imagine thats enough to need to basically replace him with what a lot of people hoped and are still hoping for in Olivier Vernon.

Im all for depth but i just cant understand this post-malik signing.
So is there a question in here or something?

What is this thread?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You can never have enough good defensive linemen. Plus, Jackson won't be playing LEO. And I hope Caldwell isn't putting all hope in Fowler at LEO. You need atleast 2 or 3 good pass rushers rotating at that spot.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Then on 3rd down:

LEO - Vernon

DT - Malik

DT - Marks

LEO - Fowler

WLB - Smith

MLB - Jack

With 5 DBs

Oh my.

Quote:Even if he's a homerun hit we need more outside pass rushers. We're good on the interior, but Fowler is legit our only LEO right now and the only guy who has potential to get very good pressure from the outside. Malik can at the 5T potentially, and Odrick is OK, but we definitely need another good pass rusher on passing downs on the outside opposite Fowler. Right now that'd likely end up being Malik with Odrick/Marks inside. Think we'd be better off with Vernon and Fowler on the outside with Malik and Marks on the inside.

Uhhhh Ryan Davis is making 2.5m

He will play....a lot

Quote:Uhhhh Ryan Davis is making 2.5m

He will play....a lot
Yeah he never got too many snaps but always seemed to apply good pressure.

No Fun

Caldwell made a statement awhile back that he would love to have a Mathis/Freeney type of edge pass rush.  I see the desire for another edge rusher, as not a change or less confidence in Fowler, but part of his plan to find the other bookend in passing situations (and for rotation).

We're losing both starting DE's from last year (even though they sucked), Fowler can replace one but we still need somebody else. Davis and the other guys will be good rotational options but we need another DE.

There's some hunger in that D-Line.....can't wait, really can't wait.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:We are trying to make the defensive line a strength of this team. Remember in 2007 when the Giants had guys like Strahan, Tuck, and Kiwanuka coming in waves against opposing offenses? I think it's time to do away with the labels of "starters", especially when you have quality depth. I want us to generate the pass rushing waves like the Giants did, where you're not losing talent when Fowler or Marks step off the field, you're only adding to your defensive pressure.

Imagine how much confusion you can cause with Fowler lined up everywhere and Jackson being able to line up at all 4 positions on the line, Odrick being able to play inside and out, Miller spelling them and giving you a different type of pass rush, Vernon coming off the edge beating on the RT, Marks splitting double teams....etc. Now imagine adding additional blitzes like a Telvin or a Jack shooting thru the Guard while he's too busy preoccupied with trying to identify and contain one of Jackson, Vernon, Marks, or Fowler....
This would be awesome.

Quote:We are trying to make the defensive line a strength of this team. Remember in 2007 when the Giants had guys like Strahan, Tuck, and Kiwanuka coming in waves against opposing offenses? I think it's time to do away with the labels of "starters", especially when you have quality depth. I want us to generate the pass rushing waves like the Giants did, where you're not losing talent when Fowler or Marks step off the field, you're only adding to your defensive pressure.

Imagine how much confusion you can cause with Fowler lined up everywhere and Jackson being able to line up at all 4 positions on the line, Odrick being able to play inside and out, Miller spelling them and giving you a different type of pass rush, Vernon coming off the edge beating on the RT, Marks splitting double teams....etc. Now imagine adding additional blitzes like a Telvin or a Jack shooting thru the Guard while he's too busy preoccupied with trying to identify and contain one of Jackson, Vernon, Marks, or Fowler....

The Giants, much like the Broncos, brought heat because they had outside rushers. We don't have Strahan on this team. We don't have Tuck. We don't even have Kiwanuka. I get what you're saying with creating pressure, but the Giants are a bad example because that defense excelled in the one thing we absolutely clearly lack: outside rush.

I like what Caldwell said today about Dante. He basically said that he saw a video of Dante working out on the field with our training staff and it was very encouraging. They expect him to be a big part of the defense this year. Apparently he looks good.
Shock the world