Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ICYMI: Mike Mayock on the Jaguars

Just a moderate improvement on defense and two or three less turnovers from Bortles and the 2015 Jags would have been 8/8. 

They managed to lose games in which the offense put up 25, 31 and 39 points last season.  That's fixable. 

To make that change happen in 2016. There are lots and lots of "ifs."

- If a rookie or two can contribute on a level that upgrades their position

- If a FA or two can provide immediate upgrades

- If Fowler can pressure the QB often enough

- If the key players stay healthy

- If Marks returns to prior form, or something near it

- If Blake can chip away at the INT number

- If the run game can help t.o.p. management

This time of year - it's easy to see all of those things happening and none are far-fetched - but it is a pretty long list. 

I'm optimistic they can find a way to check off much of that list and achieve a .500 record in 2016. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Just a moderate improvement on defense and two or three less turnovers from Bortles and the 2015 Jags would have been 8/8. 

They managed to lose games in which the offense put up 25, 31 and 39 points last season.  That's fixable. 

To make that change happen in 2016. There are lots and lots of "ifs."

- If a rookie or two can contribute on a level that upgrades their position

- If a FA or two can provide immediate upgrades

- If Fowler can pressure the QB often enough

- If the key players stay healthy

- If Marks returns to prior form, or something near it

- If Blake can chip away at the INT number

- If the run game can help t.o.p. management

This time of year - it's easy to see all of those things happening and none are far-fetched - but it is a pretty long list. 

I'm optimistic they can find a way to check off much of that list and achieve a .500 record in 2016. 

I agree with your list, but the argument can be made that some of those things are double-posted as it were.

I can see a scenario where a rookie would not need to have an immediate, consistent impact if a Free Agent is already manning the spot. So I'd say 1 and 2 are an "either, or". Also, what if the Rookie / Free Agent does his job to assist the Run Game?

Oh, and "stay healthy"?! Uh duuuuuuhhhhhhhh.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote: 

I can see a scenario where a rookie would not need to have an immediate, consistent impact if a Free Agent is already manning the spot. So I'd say 1 and 2 are an "either, or". Also, what if the Rookie / Free Agent does his job to assist the Run Game?

I actually think they'll need both.   In my ideal symmetrical vision of how it could play out - they need to have two free agents become immediate upgrades as well as two rookies.  The  FA vs rookie ratio can be shuffled one way or the other, but I don't see them taking the necessary strides unless they find upgrades at:

Edge Rusher

FS

CB2

OG/C

I think it will take players from each pool to get that ^ done.  But - sure - there is "overlap" in that list. Not redundancy in my mind, but overlap.

Quote:I actually think they'll need both.   In my ideal symmetrical vision of how it could play out - they need to have two free agents become immediate upgrades as well as two rookies.  The  FA vs rookie ratio can be shuffled one way or the other, but I don't see them taking the necessary strides unless they find upgrades at:

Edge Rusher

FS

CB2

OG/C

I think it will take players from each pool to get that ^ done.  But - sure - there is "overlap" in that list. Not redundancy in my mind, but overlap.

Ah! I got ya now. Yeah, those four spots are definite "need" areas.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:lol have you seen how bad our division is? We were legit contenders for the playoffs last year... One made FG in Indy and a decent snap in Tennessee and we probably make it in.
Sir, I'm not referring to just 'getting into the playoff's when I talk about being 'legit'. Houston made it into the playoffs but were they legit? Hardly. And we were even less so. So what I mean by 'legit' is this; that we are a team who, by virtue of excellent talent and coaching, not only 'show up' at the playoff's, but actually have a realistic chance to run the table.

I do not envy Houston because they went to the playoffs this past season. It became abundantly evident that they really had no business being there apart from the fact that they proved that they were the least sucky team in the AFC south. And that ain't much of a compliment. And we, the Jaguars, were clearly even worse than they. We were playoff contenders last season? LoL!!! We were by no means legit contenders for the playoffs last year. We failed to have a winning season even with a comparatively soft schedule and with a lions share of lucky breaks (provided by means of many of our opponents misfortune). We even failed to reach the miserable goal of a 6-10 season, which many thought was a pathetic but realistic goal for this team.

But that's okay; think what you will and cheer the team on. I will too, but I'll do it with somewhat more tempered expectations.

Quote:This isn't your daddy's jaguars. David knows what he's doing. He's just a bit unconventional in what he's asking of the fans (patience). But believe me, this offseason indeed is the pivot point. There will be a big, impact defensive player signed. Probably two. Not Skuta or Parnell level signings. We are talking big time signings.

And we know what Marks is. I can guess at what Fowler will bring Wink

Add a Jalen Ramsey in there backed up by 6 more picks on defense.

Plus a playoff caliber offense.

Forget about it.
"This isn't your daddy's jaguars"? right...

dream on.

Quote:"This isn't your daddy's jaguars"? right...

dream on.

Ok bud let's see how feel about it two weeks from now.

Quote:"This isn't your daddy's jaguars"? right...

dream on.

True, my Jags were good and had a real coach.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:True, my Jags were good and had a real coach.

Two weeks.

Quote:The AFCS is trash. Anyone can be in the playoffs
HAHA, this is sad, but very true.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Sit down, I have something to tell you... Fowler didn't play at all last year.
-

My point!

Quote:Getting Fowler back will be like having 2 first round draft picks in 2016. Couple that with a 2nd and 3rd rounder and we will possibly have 4 new starters next season.

and form this foundation upon an up and coming offense and free agency
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016, 02:36 AM by fredalwaysajag.)

this team reminds me of cinci prior to them acquiring that Flawda boi free safety
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:True, my Jags were good and had a real coach.
"my Jags" "real coach"