Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calvin Johnson considering retirement

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...etirement/
That's bad news for the Detroit Lions.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

He will unretire in 3 years and come back to play for the Pats and Brady will play til hes 55.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2016, 04:41 PM by TJBender.)

He's clearly lost some of what made him spectacular. No harm in walking away while you can instead of dragging it out until you can't, especially when you've made as much money as Megatron has.

D6, what's your take?

I think he knows the Lions aren't going to the Super Bowl anytime soon and he's too loyal to go chasing the ring.

Quote:I think he knows the Lions aren't going to the Super Bowl anytime soon and he's too loyal to go chasing the ring.

this made me think of Barry Sanders

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I don't think he would, but I wonder if he'd pull a Carson Palmer and threaten to retire if doesn't get traded somewhere.

Quote:I don't think he would, but I wonder if he'd pull a Carson Palmer and threaten to retire if doesn't get traded somewhere.
An interesting possibility.

Everything I had read about him indicated he wanted to remain a Lion for his entire career.

Is it possible the constant losing has gotten to him?

Absolutely.

But if he leaves-through retirement or otherwise-that is a MAJOR hole the Lions have to fill, and would make it more difficult to rebound to contention.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-calvin-johnson-cleans-out-locker-isn%E2%80%99t-sure-he-wants-play'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-calvin-johnson-cleans-out-locker-isn’t-sure-he-wants-play</a>

Quote:Ed Werder of ESPN, citing an unnamed source, reports that Johnson has cleaned out his locker at the team’s facility, unlike other veteran players. Johnson also reportedly has told his mother that he’s not sure he wants to play.

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Didn't see the other thread. Feel free to merge.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He's clearly lost some of what made him spectacular. No harm in walking away while you can instead of dragging it out until you can't, especially when you've made as much money as Megatron has.

D6, what's your take?

TJBender,  my take is this news doesn't really surprise me.  The main part of the equation is Calvin Johnson has taken a physical beating over the years.   In the last 3 seasons,  he's been on the weekly injury report often.   Including,  the last 8 games this season with an ankle injury.   In 2014,  Calvin missed 3 full games and a sizable part of two others with a high ankle sprain.   He missed two games in 2013 with a knee injury.  Considering the resources teams have used to keep Calvin contained and the all out way he plays the game,  it's taken its toll on his body.   Even with all of this,  in 2015 PFF ranked him as the 5th best WR in the NFL.   Even though PFF is far from the absolute authority,   they seem like an objective source.   Most opposing Defenses continued to use plenty of resources to keep him from taking over games.   The Bears didn't do so as much and Calvin made them pay twice,  including in the season finale.   In that game,  Calvin looked like ' Megatron'.

Soon after the season,  players are feeling the affects of a long grueling schedule.  If the decision was to be made today,  Calvin very likely would retire.

What could lead to Calvin playing in 2016 is if Jim Caldwell and Jim Bob Cooter are back, he likes the plan of the new G.M. , and he's treated with great respect in any contract negotiation to get his $ 24 million salary cap figure for 2016 season down.   Without all of this, I don't think he will want to play in 2016, especially for the Lions.   

Both Calvin and Rashean Mathis could be back with the Lions next season.   But w/o Caldwell being back,  it's doubtful either player will be unless the new HC is a master recruiter.  Rashean Mathis said he won't play for any other team again and that Caldwell is the best coach he ever played for.   Calvin is probably open to playing elsewhere.    Both have the highest respect for Coach Caldwell,  as does so many players in the Lions locker room.

Quote:I don't think he would, but I wonder if he'd pull a Carson Palmer and threaten to retire if doesn't get traded somewhere.

This could happen if contract negotiations don't go well.  But for now,  the main issue is the health factor.  Calvin Johnson is dealing with considerable pain.  He has his whole life in front of him and is engaged to the daughter of a Lions CB from the 1980's.    So many players are paying substantially because they played in the NFL.   The longer Calvin remains in the NFL,  the greater he will probably have to deal with physically as the years go on.

Quote:That's bad news for the Detroit Lions.

Regardless whether Calvin Johnson retires this year or not,  I'm glad that he mentioned he's considering the option when he did.  Unlike with Barry Sanders,  who retired the night before 1999 Training Camp began,  the Lions have a full off-season to address the WR position as well as realistically possible.   The new G.M. is going to have to look beyond Calvin Johnson,  even he plays 1 or more seasons with the Lions.

Id like to see him go to SD with Phillip Rivers

Quote:Id like to see him go to SD with Phillip Rivers

If this happened,  they would be going to LA.   Hopefully,  it won't come to this on any front.