Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is this defensive scheme just trash?

Quote:Well yeah.... Seattle kind of caught lightning in a bottle I think.

They had guys from the 1st thru 5th rounds and undrafted guys making plays. This scheme worked really well early.

I'm just not sure it is fair to think Caldwell can find guys to fill those roles. 

And it handcuffs him to have to find a "Leo" or a "super playmaking FS"

those guys don't just grow on trees....

Seattle had Sherman and Maxwell, Kam and Earl, Irvin, Wagner, Wright on both SB teams...

and Red and Clem in their final good years when they actually won the SB

And 3 years later, their D isn't even why they are winning games anymore. It's still good but not elite...

flash in the pan...

I think we may need to move away from the scheme.... and build around the playmakers we currently have.
Who are our playmakers?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The part about the linebackers in zone is something I've noticed aswell and they talked about it on Jaguars today.

They appear to be just standing in their zone regardless of where the receivers are instead of moving towards to the receiver to make it tougher to catch.

Looks like they're being told to maintain the structure of the scheme rather than to try make plays.

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this.  Zone defenses are only successful if properly implemented and properly coached.  Otherwise, you just get lazy and stand around.  That's what looks like is happening to me.

Quote:Well yeah.... Seattle kind of caught lightning in a bottle I think.

They had guys from the 1st thru 5th rounds and undrafted guys making plays. This scheme worked really well early.

I'm just not sure it is fair to think Caldwell can find guys to fill those roles. 

And it handcuffs him to have to find a "Leo" or a "super playmaking FS"

those guys don't just grow on trees....

Seattle had Sherman and Maxwell, Kam and Earl, Irvin, Wagner, Wright on both SB teams...

and Red and Clem in their final good years when they actually won the SB

And 3 years later, their D isn't even why they are winning games anymore. It's still good but not elite...

flash in the pan...

I think we may need to move away from the scheme.... and build around the playmakers we currently have.

I mentioned this in another thread on sunday.  But based on how poorly this scheme is being taught and implemented, we're gonna need a whole bunch of pro-bowl caliber type players to make it work.  It's not realistic to think we're gonna get 11 great players to run the scheme.  At the very least a better coach could at least teach the scheme so it's somewhat respectable  

This also doesn't seem to be happening....  So in summation:

1.  The talent level of our players is lacking.  We have at least 1 hole in each corps of the D

2.  The scheme is suspect.

3.  The coach isn't teaching proper execution.

This a trifecta of suck.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2015, 06:24 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I'm thinking they started the scheme when Gus got there, and he didn't seem to have any problems when he was in Seattle. So, no, I don't think that's it. I do feel it's largely a matter of not having adequate players in key spots for the scheme to work. Get Jaylon Smith in here at OTTO with Fowler at LEO, and this is a much improved defense. It also helps to have Kam Chancellor at S to bring the boom. The secondary really doesn't have anyone after Colvin and House, and with Sen'Derrick gone most of the year the other true playmaker on defense is Telvin Smith, and to a lesser extent Poz. This defense simply needs far more talent to work, and they need someone better than Babich coordinating their efforts.

They started the scheme when Gus got there, huh?  Was it Gus' scheme?  I doubt it, plus it doesn't seem like he's doing a good job teaching it.  3 years may not have been enough time for him to fully understand the ins and outs of the scheme.  I mean, that is a possibility, you know?  

I will grant you that we have talent holes in all areas of our D.  We have safety issues in the secondary.  We have at least 1 LB that isn't very good at zone coverage under Gus.  And we all know the lack of QB pressure when we rush only our 4 linemen.

But that doesn't mean we should be going backwards.  Our team defense this year is worse than last year.  With basically the same players in the LB and Secondary we've gone backwards so far this year.

We've gone backwards and we've played a WEAKER schedule.

Last year we gave up 25.8 points per game.  This year we're giving up 28.4 points per game.

Last year we gave up 243 yards passing per game.  This year, we're giving up 264 passing yards per game.

We have less sacks this year as well, but I'll concede that Marks is out. 

But at the end of the day, it's clear we're not getting better defensively.  And I will submit to you we really didn't change all that much at the LB and in the Secondary positions.

It's a failure of coaching and scheme.  

Great players in any scheme = A+

Good players in the right scheme = B+

Good players in the wrong scheme = C+

Average players in the right scheme = C

Average players in the wrong scheme = D

Our players in this scheme = F-

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We have no dominant players on the d-line. Odrick is solid. That's why this defense sucks. The scheme really doesn't matter. Cover 1,2,3,4 or 6 isn't gonna create more pressure on the qb.

To be honest this scheme prolly helps us create more with the players we have. Since it resembles a 3-4 we can blitz in it like we have to create more pressure lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Who are our playmakers?

Telvin Smith

Sen'Derrick Marks

Devon House

Paul Posluszny

Aaron Colvin

Dane Fowler <--one would think at least

'02

Can someone provide a scheme that can succeed without a pass rush?

If so, sign that wizard ASAP!
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:Who are our playmakers?
You don't know?

Quote:Telvin Smith

Sen'Derrick Marks

Devon House

Paul Posluszny

Aaron Colvin

Dane Fowler <--one would think at least

welp... now you do...

although, I'm taking out Poz... he is great at run stuffing, and we don't have someone better now, but he needs to be replaced.

Quote:Can someone provide a scheme that can succeed without a pass rush?

If so, sign that wizard ASAP!
It isn't about providing a scheme that succeeds without a pass rush, it is about devising a scheme that creates a pass rush with the guys you have.

An old wise man used to say (speaking on a lack of a pass rush) if it can't get home, do you wanna get beat slowly or quickly.

He was referring to the Jaguars lack of a pass rush, and a coaching staffs refusal to blitz.

If your D is going to give up the yards (and probably the points) anyway... why not blitz? If they score, you're left with more time than if they trotted down the field dinking and dunking against your soft zone....

IF Fowler comes back and another piece is added (at LEO and FS) and Cover 3 with a LEO seems like it'll work, I'm OK with using it.

But for now... base 4-3, blitz more often, especially from the nickel and dime, (with colvin and the safeties)