Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who Would You Cut/Keep

We need a competitor at the head coaching position. Someone that will prepare and scheme his team for a win, as opposed to a guy that wants his team to try hard and have fun. Everything else comes after that.
Chicken nuggets is like my family.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 10:19 PM by ThatsGoodJaguars.)

Quote:I would like to see Marrone be the new offensive coordinator, he was the OC for Saints from 2006 to 2008 and i would like to see what he could do. Maybe get Payton to come here to be head coach. I would expect a strict 4-3 to be run, not the hybrid Seahawks defense.
Sorry, I meant 3-4 scheme. Maybe keep Poz as Mike, keep Smith and Skuta. It would fit better for our linebackers.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

I don't think Telvin Smith has a spot in a 3-4 scheme.  That is a size dependent scheme and you need bigger LBs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 10:24 PM by ThatsGoodJaguars.)

Quote:I don't think Telvin Smith has a spot in a 3-4 scheme.  That is a size dependent scheme and you need bigger LBs.
We would have Smith blitz and cover occasionally, like a smaller and faster Von Miller. Inside linebackers + Skuta would have the "ideal" size against the run, etc.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

I think switching to a 3-4 turns Smith into a part time, situational player, unless you use Fowler as a LOLB.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 10:27 PM by ThatsGoodJaguars.)

Quote:I think switching to a 3-4 turns Smith into a part time, situational player, unless you use Fowler as a LOLB.
Smith would still have upwards of 75% of snaps. Fowler would be used at outside linebacker occasionally. And we could have Smith bulk up.

I wouldn't gut the team, because I think we're close. Here are the guys I'd move on from in the offseason (or sooner) without any doubt:

Offense - Beadles, Gerhart, M. Lewis

Defense - Branch, Clemons, Alualu, Gratz, Evans

Special Teams - 24-of-38, Anger

Everyone else is somewhere between "fringe" (Wiz, Cyp), "young and cheap enough to be worth another look in camp" (Chris Smith, for example) and "DO NOT EVER LET HIM LEAVE EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER NOT NEVER EVER" (Bortles, the Allens, etc.). I think that in terms of a roster, we are closer than most people here seem to think. We just have a terrible head coach and some real liabilities at key positions, and those two things have conspired to bury us. I mean, how is the Seattle D supposed to work with no LEO and no single-high safety?

Quote:DEFENSE:

Keep: Telvin Smith (heck give that man a raise he's a hard worker with talent), Sen'Derrick Marks,Paul Posluszny,  Roy Miller, Davon House (paid him too much not to keep him but would play RCB), Aaron Colvin (as Nickle or rushing CB only), Jared Odrick, and Fowler Jr.

Depth: FS Brown, Cyprien, Tyson Alualu, maybe Dwayne Gratz, Dan Skuta, and  Ryan Davis all for depth only.

Cut: Josh Evans, Branch, Clemons, and Chris Smith, McCray, Nick Marshall, and maybe Arby Jones too.

(Bold Players only ones proven to be good, everyone else is average to below).

OFFENSE/ST:

Keep: AR15, Hurns, Bortles, Thomas, M. Lee,  Yeldon, Linder,  Parnell, Zane Beadles, F

Depth:  Bryan Walters, R. Greene (maybe KR/PR Starter), D-Rob, Cann,

Cut: Gerhart, Marcedes Lewis, Joeckel, Wisniewski, Sam Young, Bernard Pierce, Henne, Jason Myers, Bowanko, Clay Harbor, Shatley, R Lawerence (who is he and J Banyard)?, maybe nic jacobs too.

Quote:Josh Evans is good at tackling, Alualu does absolutely nothing... at all...ever.

Poz is a leader and could be useful in the redzone and for the run defense. 

I was being faceitious about Poz.  He's more than a "depth player".  He's legit.  The problem is the defense doesn't fit his talent.  

I'm not sure I agree with you regarding Evans...  I mean, I guess he's a better tackler than Gratz at this point.  But to me, it seems Evans is always late to the play.  I hear ya about Alualu, but my point is, if you're gonna keep Evans, Alualu is about the same amount of production relatively speaking as Evans, in my opinion.

Bear in mind, I have a very low opinion of Josh Evans.  The dude just seems always out of position.

Quote:I wouldn't gut the team, because I think we're close. Here are the guys I'd move on from in the offseason (or sooner) without any doubt:

Everyone else is somewhere between "fringe" (Wiz, Cyp), "young and cheap enough to be worth another look in camp" (Chris Smith, for example) and "DO NOT EVER LET HIM LEAVE EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER NOT NEVER EVER" (Bortles, the Allens, etc.). I think that in terms of a roster, we are closer than most people here seem to think. We just have a terrible head coach and some real liabilities at key positions, and those two things have conspired to bury us. I mean, how is the Seattle D supposed to work with no LEO and no single-high safety?

Mine is pretty similar to yours, except I'd keep both Evans and Alualu. People love to hate him, but Tyson is a solid rotational player for the 3 and 5-techs. He's not starter material, but he's not someone you outright cut right after the season is over like Clemons or Gerhart. I actually think Evans could be a decent player if they wouldn't miscast him as a free safety. He doesn't have the range to play the position, but I think he could be a good backup as an in-the-box SS.

I'd also be fine with Lewis being brought back for cheap if he's solely a backup at the more traditional TE position.

People seem enamored with gutting the roster which doesn't make sense unless they're taking up a ton of cap space (Beadles) or the downside of their career (Clemons). You build up depth by bringing in better players and phasing worse players out at the end of camp, not by cutting half of the team's starters as soon as the season is over.

Quote:I wouldn't gut the team, because I think we're close. Here are the guys I'd move on from in the offseason (or sooner) without any doubt:

I wouldn't gut the team either.  I'm in total agreement with you on this one in terms of your assessment of offense and defensive players that need to go.  I think alot of the problems on our D are schematic and philosophical.

If I took a drink for every time there were 3 guys around a wide open reciever that found the soft spot of our zone, I'd have alcohol poisoning.  I just don't think this "seattle D" is long for the NFL.  It requires near perfection by the Secondary and LB'ers...  I don't think we can realisitically expect that type of talent acquisition to occur...

Branch & Clemons.

Quote:I was being faceitious about Poz.  He's more than a "depth player".  He's legit.  The problem is the defense doesn't fit his talent.  

I'm not sure I agree with you regarding Evans...  I mean, I guess he's a better tackler than Gratz at this point.  But to me, it seems Evans is always late to the play.  I hear ya about Alualu, but my point is, if you're gonna keep Evans, Alualu is about the same amount of production relatively speaking as Evans, in my opinion.

Bear in mind, I have a very low opinion of Josh Evans.  The dude just seems always out of position.
Yeah, you're right. Take them both to the cleaners!

Quote:Mine is pretty similar to yours, except I'd keep both Evans and Alualu. People love to hate him, but Tyson is a solid rotational player for the 3 and 5-techs. He's not starter material, but he's not someone you outright cut right after the season is over like Clemons or Gerhart. I actually think Evans could be a decent player if they wouldn't miscast him as a free safety. He doesn't have the range to play the position, but I think he could be a good backup as an in-the-box SS.

I'd also be fine with Lewis being brought back for cheap if he's solely a backup at the more traditional TE position.

People seem enamored with gutting the roster which doesn't make sense unless they're taking up a ton of cap space (Beadles) or the downside of their career (Clemons). You build up depth by bringing in better players and phasing worse players out at the end of camp, not by cutting half of the team's starters as soon as the season is over.

Quote:Mine is pretty similar to yours, except I'd keep both Evans and Alualu. People love to hate him, but Tyson is a solid rotational player for the 3 and 5-techs. He's not starter material, but he's not someone you outright cut right after the season is over like Clemons or Gerhart. I actually think Evans could be a decent player if they wouldn't miscast him as a free safety. He doesn't have the range to play the position, but I think he could be a good backup as an in-the-box SS.

Agree with all this.  Specifically the bolded.

It would be an absolutely terrible move to gut the roster, even with how terrible the D is.  There are still players there that can be salvaged.  Cyp had a terrible game, again.  But I wouldn't even cut that dude quite yet.  As you said, you keep these players and begin to build around them...  There's a chance that Sample my be able to take over for Cyp, in that case, you have Cyp as quality depth.  It's not like that dude is gonna tear up the free agency market when his contract is up.  But he'd make a good back up safety.  He's just clearly not a good/great SS, he's just OK.  But no need to cut him.

Quote:Yeah, you're right. Take them both to the cleaners!

LOL, I don't think they'd be missed that much.  Ha!  But at least Alualu had a catch and was the lead FB on Yeldon's TD run...

The problem is that Alualu keeps showing that when he's placed in a key role, he's overmatched and overwhelmed. Maybe a different scheme could fix that, but honestly, if the man can't find success as a 5-tech end in a glorified 3-4 defense (like last year, when he played so well that we spent millions on Odrick), maybe it's just time to see what the next man up can do. We'd be remiss not to add a rotational defensive tackle in the draft next year anyway, and that's basically what Alualu is. He's not awful, but not worth the money.

I only take note of Evans when he's been burned and/or committed a pass interference penalty. That's kind of been the story on him since his rookie year. At some point, you just have to shake your head and accept that the man can't play.

On Marcedes, I agree he'd have something to offer as a blocker, but he's expensive, he offers next to nothing in the passing game, and I'd honestly rather see those reps go to Nic Jacobs or Ben Koyack in camp next year. Jacobs is a mountain of a man, imo as good as Lewis is at this point.

Quote:The problem is that Alualu keeps showing that when he's placed in a key role, he's overmatched and overwhelmed. Maybe a different scheme could fix that, but honestly, if the man can't find success as a 5-tech end in a glorified 3-4 defense (like last year, when he played so well that we spent millions on Odrick), maybe it's just time to see what the next man up can do. We'd be remiss not to add a rotational defensive tackle in the draft next year anyway, and that's basically what Alualu is. He's not awful, but not worth the money.

I only take note of Evans when he's been burned and/or committed a pass interference penalty. That's kind of been the story on him since his rookie year. At some point, you just have to shake your head and accept that the man can't play.

On Marcedes, I agree he'd have something to offer as a blocker, but he's expensive, he offers next to nothing in the passing game, and I'd honestly rather see those reps go to Nic Jacobs or Ben Koyack in camp next year. Jacobs is a mountain of a man, imo as good as Lewis is at this point.

I'm completely fine with letting Alualu go during the cuts in preseason if someone beats him out, but I don't see a point in letting him go when there isn't a "next man" on the roster right now. Some players are simply mean't to provide value as a rotational player and that's what I think Alualu is; a solid rotational player. Also his base salary is $1.75 million next year, so it's not really something I'd desperately want to get off the books like Beadles and Clemons' $5 million salaries.

Evans is tougher to gauge since I believe he's exclusively a box safety and he's been barely used in that role during his tenure here. His best games of his career came earlier this season and those happened to be when he was starting in place of an injured Cyprien at strong safety. I'm not going to lose sleep if he isn't around, but I think he could provide value to this team as a strong safety.

Lewis is a free agent after this season, so he doesn't even really belong in this thread, but as I said before I'd be fine with bringing him back as backup at the traditional TE position with the expectation that he would be getting backup money. If he accepts those terms, let him compete with Jacobs and Koyack for the backup spot. I do think he provides some value to the team situationally as a 1 year/$1 million backup.