Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles vs Mariota - Dawn of the NFL's next great rivalry?

I can't think of a better young up and coming divisional QB rivalry in the NFL right now. What used to be Kaepnerick vs Wilson, is now easily Bortles vs Mariota. I also think Bortles and Mariota have better ceilings than Wilson and obviously Kaep.

In both games played this season, Bortles and Mariota have had similar statistics. Each have a win. And each carry themselves in a similar "franchise QB" manner. I never understood the hate on Mariota and the comparisons to RGIII. I'm sorry, but us Jags fans are going to have to live with the fact that Mariota is actually going to be a very VERY good QB. He's so fluid, quick release, wonderful short game, and can beat you with his legs.

Bortles: 45/66 - 664 yards - 6 tds/1 int

Mariota: 42/64 - 499 yards - 3 tds/ 1 int (2rush Td's)

Of course we can't forget about Luck, but until the clots start drafting better and Luck starts playing at a high level again, we can ignore him for now.

Bortles and Mariota are on rising teams and as the years go on, I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFC south become the NFC West of 2010-2014.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bortles is on another level.

Bortles>Mariotta

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 07:51 PM by Vicbow Rules.)

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I just posted this in the BB vs MM thread in the AFC South but....

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Mariota is having himself a nice season and might turn out to be a great pick by Tenn.  As of right now, the only thing we can all do is wait until next year.  Nothing else this year really matters, he has done what he can do.  Once teams have a year of film and Tenn has another draft to surround him with talent we will see if he is a one hit wonder.  What I mean is, next year teams will know how to game plan for him AND it is the year 2 young players are supposed to show their biggest growth.  If he continues to thrive next year, we can legitimately say he is going to be a good player (a la Carr, Bortles etc.) but if there is a weakness in his game, other teams will be exploiting it next year (a la RGIII and Kaepernick).

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Should be interesting and fun to watch pan out.  If Mariota ends up living up to his draft position watch out for the AFC South.  Luck, Bortles, Mariota and Hoyer (lol)!

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Bortles is on another level.

Bortles>Mariotta

Stop Mariota is equally talented in his own way. Should be exciting for the next coiple of years watching those 2 play

Mariota has more to overcome and prove than Bortles, imo. Bortles is a more traditional QB, and it will be harder for defenses to "figure him out". Mariota, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired as a passer, but is a tremendous athlete. Kind of like, you know, RG3. History favors QBs whose game is not predicated upon the ability to run fast, and Mariota will have to prove that he can be a pocket passer or end up just another talented mid-pack guy.

Quote:Stop Mariota is equally talented in his own way. Should be exciting for the next coiple of years watching those 2 play

Nah

Luck vs Bortles is more like it.

Bortles is a better pure QB. Mariota has an awful deep ball, his throwing motion is very quick though and his legs won his team the game today.

Quote:Nah

Luck vs Bortles is more like it.

Agree. We will all come to find out mariota sucks. He just played is today. You know how we make qbs look like gods
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

I see it and it bothers me. We know how Jags defenses do with a scrambling QB. McNair ring a bell?

'If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.' - Frank Zappa

What about Caveman?

I wouldn't trade Bortles for any QB in the league. None. He is a leader and a killer instinct too. Get this guy a damn defense and head coach already. Quit with the clown soccer owner Khan decisions.

So far Bortles is way too good to be compared to someone like Mariota. He's currently doing things that very few QBs have ever done at his age, and he's doing it with a complete idiot for a head coach and marginal play in the middle of his offensive line.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM by nhiverson.)

Both played great today but both also had a few near ints. Bortles still has a throw or two a game that are just awful.

But yeah it could become a good qb rivalry.
No Fun

I have to admit, Mariota is much better than what I thought he was gonna be coming out of college. I just did not see him translating his game into the NFL at all.

It's still yet to be determined if defenses start "figuring him out" ala RGIII. But if they don't, his short game accuracy and running ability could potentially make him very dangerous.

Short game "dink and dunk" QBs can, and have been very successful in this league. Brady and Gannon "dink and dunk" their way to great success. It's very effective as long as decision making is sharp and accuracy is there. So far, Mariota looks like he's going to be real good.

**I'd still take Bortles though,, all day - every day.

Quote:I see it and it bothers me. We know how Jags defenses do with a scrambling QB. McNair ring a bell?

A stud run and cover LB would go far in helping prevent QB's kill us on the ground. Right now it's pretty bad. Forget Mariota - I keep picturing Rivers awkwardly scramble for 3rd and 4th down conversions. That was painful to watch.

Quote:A stud run and cover LB would go far in helping prevent QB's kill us on the ground. Right now it's pretty bad. Forget Mariota - I keep picturing Rivers awkwardly scramble for 3rd and 4th down conversions. That was painful to watch.

Fowler will makes those types of plays.

QBs of Mario's skill set always seems like something new, dynamic, and on another level, once most teams get a year of film on him i feel he will be less effective

All I need is Jaguars football and my dogs

Quote:QBs of Mario's skill set always seems like something new, dynamic, and on another level, once most teams get a year of film on him i feel he will be less effective

I wouldn't compare MM to the likes of RG3, Vick , or Kaeprnick. Yea he is a dynamic athlete but he doesn't use it as a crutch like some of those other guys do. Mariota does most of his damage from the pocket and really only takes off when he needs to. Very smart and poised player.

I like Bortles a little bit more, but it is close.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!