Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nov. 30th, 1993

It was 22 years ago yesterday that Jacksonville was awarded a NFL franchise. Still blows my mind that little ole' Jacksonville was able to get a NFL team. Also makes you think, despite how bad we have been lately, that we are still incredibly lucky to be one out of a handful of cities in the world to have a NFL team and we shouldn't take that for granted.

News4Jax posted a pretty cool article from Sam Kouvaris about the selection process and finding out that we were the city getting a team.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/22-years-...n/36722040

Go Jags!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was working on Blount Island (Jacksonville) when I heard the announcement on the radio.   It must have been 930am since I think that was only sports talk radio at that time.   I think Dempsey, YoTrav, and a very young Ryan Hacker were paired together at that time for the drive home.

Great memories of what used to be.........and what can become again.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015, 10:01 AM by Section105Fan.)

Quote:I was working on Blount Island (Jacksonville) when I heard the announcement on the radio. It must have been 930am since I think that was only sports talk radio at that time. I think Dempsey, YoTrav, and a very young Ryan Hacker were paired together at that time for the drive home.

I was driving near downtown when I heard the announcement on the car radio. I immediately headed to The Landing where hundreds of future fans were hooping and hollering. " whoomp!There it is! whoomp! there it is! " over and over. I'll never forget that day.

I got home from work and turned on the news right in time for the announcement. Sam was even a turd back then too.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

It's a shame that for us to find any history about the Jags that makes us smile we have to refer to events 10-20 years ago...

Quote:It's a shame that for us to find any history about the Jags that makes us smile we have to refer to events 10-20 years ago...

Wait... You've smiled before?

Quote:It's a shame that for us to find any history about the Jags that makes us smile we have to refer to events 10-20 years ago...
That's only folks who base all things Jags on wins and wins alone. I have great memories from every game, especially the home games. The tailgates, the people we meet, the food, the drink and the friends. Winning is just extra icing on a already sweet cake. I get what your saying, the team has not been good for a long time but the fun remains steady for us.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

It's really a shame you're trying to ruin this thread. What a nice memory for Jaguar fans to talk about and have a nice thread. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Gotta be negative. ALL THE OTHER THREADS, but GOT TO post in this one.

You [BLEEP] wonder why people hate you, argue with you, and call you trollers....

I was all of 5 years old at the time. Little did I know what a large influence that day would have on me now 22 years later.

I was off the coast floating on the USS Vicksburg.  At the time I was new to Mayport and was unfamiliar with the history of football and Jacksonville.  I was stationed in Greece during the 1995 season and could barely get any information outside of armed forces radio.  What a treat for me to have the 1996 season and working from Kings Bay, GA.  It is great to have a team and to take them with me no matter where I live.  The world has changed so much when it comes to information and the Internet.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I can remember sitting in the living room and watching the press conference on TV when it was announced. It was pretty awesome!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I remember everyone got Jaguar gear that Christmas.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:That's only folks who base all things Jags on wins and wins alone. I have great memories from every game, especially the home games. The tailgates, the people we meet, the food, the drink and the friends. Winning is just extra icing on a already sweet cake. I get what your saying, the team has not been good for a long time but the fun remains steady for us.

Well said. I've been a STH since day one, and I still have a hard time believing Jacksonville has an NFL team. 

One reason I get irritated with the whiners and moaners is the fact that they seem to take it all for granted. Regardless of the wins and losses we still get to see the best football players on earth with friends and family - usually in weather like we had Sunday.

I try to remind myself to simply enjoy the experience and hope for the best. Those who wish to play pseudo GM or head coach or QB coach or whatever - they are just here to add amusement to the entire spectacle.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I was on the roof putting up Christmas decorations when I heard. I was one of the first in line to get tickets at The Avenues.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]