Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags getting recognition on Mike and Mike for maybe first time ever lol

<sub>With where we are now player wise and a couple more decent draft years we should be back to good competitive football.</sub>

<sub>By then we'll have veterans with good incoming rookies and  a QB that has developed.</sub>

<sub>Amazing how a team can go down quicker than it comes back up. </sub>

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew it would take 5 years to build a consistent winner.

Especially considering the condition of the 2013 Roster.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Especially considering the condition of the 2013 Roster.
according to Mularkey the 2012 roster was one of the worst he'd ever seen or been around

Quote:according to Mularkey the 2012 roster was one of the worst he'd ever seen or been around

We all knew how bad that was...

[Image: giphy.gif]

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

The bad thing is that the 2012 roster felt the same way about Mularkey......

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2015, 03:13 PM by Kane.)

Quote:The bad thing is that the 2012 roster felt the same way about Mularkey......
Could anyone have won more than 4 games with that squad?

IDK....

Kinda wish Khan had come in and cleaned house, instead of allowing that last year of Gene + Mularkey...

but I understand why he did....

Gene was the big problem, Mularkey just wasn't good enough to compensate.

And didn't the players hate him? (edit: that was what you meant, I reckon about them feeling the same way)

Quote:according to Mularkey the 2012 roster was one of the worst he'd ever seen or been around

Quote:We all knew how bad that was...

Let's take a look at the offensive side of that roster alone and try and figure out how many replacements it would take to make them "competitive" on a level of a 0.500 team.

QB, Blaine Gabbert - Safe to say that an immediate upgrade was needed here. Blaine only started 10 games that season but it was rather clear that he wouldn't be able to help out the team immediately, if at all. This is a specific notation here because if you are going to upgrade this position, it's going to take a high draft pick. Take particular note of the QB's who were available in the '13 draft class; EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon and Matt Barkley were the top four QBs taken that season. Each of them has been benched or cut by this point.

Result - Replace. Players needed - one

WR, Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts - The team potentially had something here in Blackmon and Shorts, but Blackmon only played in four more games after this season and Shorts in 13. Regardless, neither of these players panned out for the team and neither were long term solutions. Scattered across the roster were also guys by the likes of Laurent Robinson, Jordan Shipley, Mike Thomas and Kevin Elliot. I don't believe any of these four are still in the League at this point.

Result - Replace. Players needed - one minimum, five if possible.

RB, Maurice Jones-Drew, Rashad Jennings, Jordan Todman - Jones-Drew only played in five games that season and it was apparent that the team had driven the wheels off of him. While Jennings is a competent player now with NYG, it should be noted that he has yet to play in all 16 games in a season and that his highest Single Year production was 733 yards. Hardly a bell cow type of back.

Result - Replace. Players needed - one minimum, two if possible.

Offensive Line (left to right), Eugene Monroe, Austin Pazstor (?), Brad Meester, Uche Nwaneri, Eben Britton / Cameron Bradfield - Four of those players at a minimum require replacement with the idea that Meester was playing well, but he was closer to the end than he was to the beginning.

Result - Replace. Players needed - three minimum, five if possible.

That's a minimum of six players on the Offense alone that required replacement, with one of them being a Quarterback. That's an entire draft class just on the Offensive side and in all actuality it's two since most NFL starters are Third Rounders and up. That's a titanic rebuild job.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Let's take a look at the offensive side of that roster alone and try and figure out how many replacements it would take to make them "competitive" on a level of a 0.500 team.

QB, Blaine Gabbert - Safe to say that an immediate upgrade was needed here. Blaine only started 10 games that season but it was rather clear that he wouldn't be able to help out the team immediately, if at all. This is a specific notation here because if you are going to upgrade this position, it's going to take a high draft pick. Take particular note of the QB's who were available in the '13 draft class; EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon and Matt Barkley were the top four QBs taken that season. Each of them has been benched or cut by this point.

Result - Replace. Players needed - one

WR, Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts - The team potentially had something here in Blackmon and Shorts, but Blackmon only played in four more games after this season and Shorts in 13. Regardless, neither of these players panned out for the team and neither were long term solutions. Scattered across the roster were also guys by the likes of Laurent Robinson, Jordan Shipley, Mike Thomas and Kevin Elliot. I don't believe any of these four are still in the League at this point.

Result - Replace. Players needed - one minimum, five if possible.

RB, Maurice Jones-Drew, Rashad Jennings, Jordan Todman - Jones-Drew only played in five games that season and it was apparent that the team had driven the wheels off of him. While Jennings is a competent player now with NYG, it should be noted that he has yet to play in all 16 games in a season and that his highest Single Year production was 733 yards. Hardly a bell cow type of back.

Result - Replace. Players needed - one minimum, two if possible.

Offensive Line (left to right), Eugene Monroe, Austin Pazstor (?), Brad Meester, Uche Nwaneri, Eben Britton / Cameron Bradfield - Four of those players at a minimum require replacement with the idea that Meester was playing well, but he was closer to the end than he was to the beginning.

Result - Replace. Players needed - three minimum, five if possible.

That's a minimum of six players on the Offense alone that required replacement, with one of them being a Quarterback. That's an entire draft class just on the Offensive side and in all actuality it's two since most NFL starters are Third Rounders and up. That's a titanic rebuild job.
By no means do I think our roster was remotely decent that year, but come on. We had JUST drafted Blackmon in the first. Of course he was going to be a long-term solution. And Shorts, he was what, 25?? Plus, a lot of our good guys ended up on IR. Gabbert sucked, I'll give you that, but we weren't COMPLETELY devoid of talent.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Where do u watch the whole segment ?

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Where do u watch the whole segment ?
About the positive Jags stuff? You just did.

Quote:About the positive Jags stuff? You just did.

I did not watch any of it. Can I watch a replay online?

The Jaguars have potential famous stars in Allen Hurns & Allen Robinson at WR, but Byran Walters has been a decent go to guy for tough catches too... (Allens have a shot at ProBowl)

Telvin Smith is a huge steal, and only in his 2nd year (after missing almost his entire rookie year) and he's in the top 5 for tackles in the NFL) and has the potential to make the Pro Bowl.

TJ Yeldon has been learning in his rookie year and showing possible potential in the future. 

Aaron Colvin has shown potential (even though its his 2nd year he too almost missed his entire rookie year), yet being able to play both inside & out this early in his career is impressive

RG Linder has been really solid until he was injured & had he not been injured he had a real shot at the Pro Bowl this year.

QB Blake Bortles has made huge progress since his rookie year (the year he wasnt supposed to play in), and I expect will continue to improve each year...

Greene looked decent at times before he got injured, but I think hes going to play this year... Lee (if only he could remain healthy) is a good weapon..

D-rob on the fence... with him he's just a guy.. for all the good he does, he does equal amt of bad with fumbles dropping easy wide open catches at critical downs, etc...  (a fumble that was at the 5 last year)...

I was really hoping to see Corey Grant do better but it didnt turn out...

Cyprien struggles at time not consitent but theres hope.

The rest havent really played good enoug to mention (draft & undrafted), but FA House had a great game against the Ravens he needs another one this Thursday to change people's minds about him.

TE JT needs to do something to make people understand why he gets paid so much.

DT Marks has been a beast too bad he's been injured all season.

According to Mike Greenberg this morning Blake Bortles accounts for 84% of the offense which is 1st in the NFL. This guy is truly special and if other's can't see it then i don't know what to tell you. 

Quote:By no means do I think our roster was remotely decent that year, but come on. We had JUST drafted Blackmon in the first. Of course he was going to be a long-term solution. And Shorts, he was what, 25?? Plus, a lot of our good guys ended up on IR. Gabbert sucked, I'll give you that, but we weren't COMPLETELY devoid of talent.

Completely? No. Darn near? I'd have to say yes. Shorts didn't even play in every game that season, weird right? Also, who was going to run the ball for that team? And who was going to block?

My post was more to point out just how bare the cupboard was in terms of long term talent more than for that immediate season and the implications that would have for Caldwell and Co. when it came to building the roster.

Quote:According to Mike Greenberg this morning Blake Bortles accounts for 84% of the offense which is 1st in the NFL. This guy is truly special and if other's can't see it then i don't know what to tell you. 

What's the difference between "accounts for" and simply going through? It's early and I'm only on my first cup of coffee...but I'm not understanding. Smile

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:What's the difference between "accounts for" and simply going through? It's early and I'm only on my first cup of coffee...but I'm not understanding. Smile

In other words, the offense is produced by him at 84% which is 1st in the nfl.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Espngreeny'>Mike Greenberg ‏@Espngreeny </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Espngreeny/status/667731986342150144' title="7:51 AM - 20 Nov 2015">Nov 20</a>
<p class="" style="font-size:26px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">I think Blake Bortles has a chance to be really good. In fact, I think the <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a> are the team to beat in the AFC South next year.

Quote:I did not watch any of it. Can I watch a replay online?

They put out a daily podcast.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

The big 3 year vs 5 year thinking...

When you blow up the roster and ditch anyone above a certain age on your arrival, you know you need time to build the roster you want.  Caldwell had an inkling that his first draft was talent starved as well and they weren't spending much in Free Agency.  At that point do you really think he believed in a 3 year build/rebuild?

So you talk about the future and you promote 3 years to settle the fan base and get them to focus on the draft and the reports out of camp and ignore the record.  Saying 3 years means that the third year will be when the fans all of sudden take notice again.  So do you come out and say hey that 3 year thing, well I really meant 5 year.  Heck no you fleece the fans and believe that incremental success will be enough to finish your plan.

This is really a 5 year project because of the dumping of players year one and a draft with an awful talent pool in year one.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.