Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jax Beaches

Twenty so years ago when we moved to Jax the beaches were pretty much undesirable places to go. You could find a place here or there, but the boardwalk back then was littered with homeless people and garbage. Back in those days we would go to St. Augustine with visiting friends and family.

I remember back then the city council were always fighting amongst each other on whether to develop it or keep it a bedroom community. One faction wanted it to stay in the 50's and 60's while the other faction was OK with it turning into Daytona north. Lots on the beach had a beautiful home next to one falling down from neglect.

The wife and I went to the beach yesterday and stayed overnight. The transformation is still ongoing but it was definitely a huge improvement. We haven't been there in about 5 years and back then, in the middle of the worst recession in history, the cranes were still swinging trusses and beams.

We had a great time and it's nice to know a 40 minute drive from our home is a place where it's comfortable walking (or riding bikes) at night, walking the dog on the beach, and there are plenty of beachside places to have cocktails and dinner.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The redevelopment really started at both ends of 3rd Street at Beach and Atlantic Blvds, and it has spread from there.  We are out there occasionally, and it's amazing to see how the area has transformed without becoming a tourist trap like Daytona.  They've done a good job of keeping the sprawl under control, while creating hubs where people can go for entertaining, food, dining, and hotels.  It's a great atmosphere.  The growth out there has really been leading the way with the real estate turnaround in the state.

Just look at the end of Atlantic Blvd, or the Beach Blvd corridor leading down to 3rd St..  They're slowly getting rid of eye sores like the old George Moore dealership, and the big vacant shopping centers.  On Atlantic Blvd, they've turned the area around the old Sea Turtle into a destination.  We love going out there on weekends.  That development has helped spark more growth between Beach and Atlantic, as businesses are starting to pop up all over the place to cater to all the new traffic. 

You're right.  It's nice to have a place 10 minutes from the city that you can redirect visitors to, or you can make a quick escape of your own without leaving town.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The coolest thing about Jax Beach is they kept it residential while they modernized the area.  Most cities including Tampa/St Pete, Miami, Fort Lauderdale went overboard with regard to condo development, that it took away from the local personality. 

I love getting on my bicycle (with filled beverage) and strolling up 1st street hitting some of the local establishments along the way.

Regarding old school Jax Beach, gotta admit I did like the ole Crab Pot & Buketts rocking out on the weekend afternoons.

The beaches are terrible, you should all stay away from here.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Daytona is surprisingly the dump now.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Daytona is surprisingly the dump now.

I remember the first time I visted Daytona as an adult. I was surprised how trashy it was. But it's really just an outdated tourist trap.

Yeah it's bad. I took the fam down hoping it was still kinda cool but, nah it's dead Jim.

Sad, I had a blast there from about '94-'99. Spring breaks and car shows and what not. 

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:Twenty so years ago when we moved to Jax the beaches were pretty much undesirable places to go. You could find a place here or there, but the boardwalk back then was littered with homeless people and garbage. Back in those days we would go to St. Augustine with visiting friends and family.

I remember back then the city council were always fighting amongst each other on whether to develop it or keep it a bedroom community. One faction wanted it to stay in the 50's and 60's while the other faction was OK with it turning into Daytona north. Lots on the beach had a beautiful home next to one falling down from neglect.

The wife and I went to the beach yesterday and stayed overnight. The transformation is still ongoing but it was definitely a huge improvement. We haven't been there in about 5 years and back then, in the middle of the worst recession in history, the cranes were still swinging trusses and beams.

We had a great time and it's nice to know a 40 minute drive from our home is a place where it's comfortable walking (or riding bikes) at night, walking the dog on the beach, and there are plenty of beachside places to have cocktails and dinner.

Regards....................the Chiefjag
You are right. I've lived here the vast majority of my life, (ok, about 90%). When we first moved here 30 years ago Jax Beach was never an option. We always went to St. Augustine as well (and to this day still do, but not because Jax Beach is no longer a trash pile). We've been to a number of events over the years and that area has made a 180. It is definitely very nice, and a great place to be. Looks like the right people and groups agreed on a vision and have stuck with it.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"