Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Defensive Scheme

Quote:1st problem with the defense is the scheme. We essentially have 1.5 pass rushers at all times on the field.

DE - Jared Odrick is a DT. He is not a pass rusher in anyway shape or form. I understand the role they want him to play but it isnt working because our run defense is putrid we constantly get gashed. On the other side which is really our only pass rusher we have a committee of ( Davis, Clemons, Branch, Alualu etc.) None of these guys consistently get to the QB. IMO Ryan Davis and Chris Smith are our best pass rushers and they dont see the field

DT - Marks gets the job done. Roy Miller sole purpose for being on the field is to take up space. Again Miller isnt a pass rusher at all nor is he stopping the run so pretty much he's a waste of space.

LB - Skuta is suppose to be this hybrid run stuffer/pass rusher. The guy was a 3-4 LB his whole career and we brought him here to play in a 4-3 I dont get it. He's done a average job thus far taking jnto account he's playing out of position. Poz and Smith get the job done. They could be better but their the best we got.

DBs - Cyprien is wildly inconsistent. CB's suffer from lack of pass rush and skill. FS is wildly inconsistent also.

IMO the scheme beginning from the trenches is horrible. That blueprint needs to be scrapped and we need to play a traditional 4-3 ala Bills, Bengals, Seahawks I know the Jags dont have their talent but the things their asking some of the players to do isnt working and is kinda stupid. We need guys straight up playing their natural position. No [BAD WORD REMOVED] Thoughts?

Cyprien is a Box Safety but is played like he actually has some sort of range. He is a liability in man coverage.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:All due respect i disagree. Nose tackles have to hold the point against the double team. The fact that hes getting hits on the ball carrier consistently is evidence of that. The rb is free to go left or right. The nr is sandwiched between 650 pounds of guard and center. He may not be avle to consistently square up and bring the guy down but the fact that he holds the point consistently is why we are #1 in ypc allowed.
who are you talking to
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

#1 in ypc 14 in yards. What could that mean? #32 in 3rd down conversions allowed coupled with an offense that isnt good on third down or building leads means an inordinate amount of carries. Thats on the third down package not the 2 down nose guard.

Quote:Our putrid run defense?

#1 in yds/carry allowed

#14 in yds/gm

That defense?!?

Numbers lie me and and both know that defense fets gashed in every run. The only games that the run defense was good werr Miami and Carolina game

Our scheme is terrible.  We don't have the personnel to rush 4 guys.  If Marks was 100% and we had a dominant LEO, then maybe it would be a different story, but that's not even close to the case.

Yeah, whatever defensive scheme they are using just isn't working.

The opposing team seems to know exactly what to do against it and routinely converts 3rd downs, especially 3rd and longs, and has guys running wide open way too many times.

Something has to change to where it's not so predictable for the other team.

Come on Gus, you can do better.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Numbers lie me and and both know that defense fets gashed in every run. The only games that the run defense was good werr Miami and Carolina game
...And the Colts game...And the Texans game ..
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:I honestly think Skuta, Odrick, Marks, Telvin Smith and Fowler are 3-4 players. I'll be pretty excited if the new HC brings in a 3-4 guy to fix the defense.
Skuta is a natural 3-4 guy, but Otto is basically a 3-4 OLB position in terms of responsibilities.

Odrick has played in both a 4-3 and a 3-4 in Miami, although IIRC he was not asked to play DE in a 4-3. Still, the 5-tech end position in Bradley's defense is basically a 3-4 DE, just with three other guys on the line instead of two.

Marks is the type of player that I could see as an end in a 3-4, but he'd probably have to be a rotational guy who comes in on nickel plays. I don't know if he'd hold up as an every-down lineman in a 3-4.

Telvin would be destroyed in a 3-4. Absolutely destroyed. Even at 220, he's nowhere near big enough to be a 3-4 OLB, not even big enough to be a 3-4 ILB. The only way he works in a 3-4 is if he plays safety, and that's the sort of move that works in Madden but not in real life.

Fowler fits in a 4-3 or a 3-4. If he comes back at 100%, the pass rush is theoretically in good shape regardless of scheme.

Quote:Abry Jones, quite frankly, appears more adept at getting the job done and should probably replace Miller as the starter.
I'm not sure Jones would be much of an upgrade, but I'd like to see him get more snaps on Sundays. Miller is just not getting it done.

Quote:*3 (Bosa)

Also too bad our best defensive player would literally be useless in a 3-4. Telvin also isn't anywhere near big enough to play even ILB in a 3-4.

The only positions on the front 7 that wouldn't translate to a 3-4 are the 3-tech (Marks) and 4-3 WLB (Telvin). Unfortunately those two are pretty big parts of our defense.
Marks could be a rotational DE in a 3-4, but that's about his ceiling.

Quote:Our scheme is terrible.  We don't have the personnel to rush 4 guys.  If Marks was 100% and we had a dominant LEO, then maybe it would be a different story, but that's not even close to the case.
And yet we continue to rush four guys, apply zero pressure and give MB'ers the impression that the secondary isn't doing its job. They're not, but their job isn't made any easier by the complete lack of a pass rush.

Quote:Skuta is a natural 3-4 guy, but Otto is basically a 3-4 OLB position in terms of responsibilities.

Odrick has played in both a 4-3 and a 3-4 in Miami, although IIRC he was not asked to play DE in a 4-3. Still, the 5-tech end position in Bradley's defense is basically a 3-4 DE, just with three other guys on the line instead of two.

Marks is the type of player that I could see as an end in a 3-4, but he'd probably have to be a rotational guy who comes in on nickel plays. I don't know if he'd hold up as an every-down lineman in a 3-4.

Telvin would be destroyed in a 3-4. Absolutely destroyed. Even at 220, he's nowhere near big enough to be a 3-4 OLB, not even big enough to be a 3-4 ILB. The only way he works in a 3-4 is if he plays safety, and that's the sort of move that works in Madden but not in real life.

Fowler fits in a 4-3 or a 3-4. If he comes back at 100%, the pass rush is theoretically in good shape regardless of scheme.

I'm not sure Jones would be much of an upgrade, but I'd like to see him get more snaps on Sundays. Miller is just not getting it done.

Marks could be a rotational DE in a 3-4, but that's about his ceiling.

And yet we continue to rush four guys, apply zero pressure and give MB'ers the impression that the secondary isn't doing its job. They're not, but their job isn't made any easier by the complete lack of a pass rush.

All of this

4 games of 24 points or less out of six and the game against Tampa they only had to drive 58 yards for 21 points because of a defensive TD and a short field on an interception and a long punt return.  

If we are holding guys to 3.1 yards per carry and we are giving up 50% on third down it speaks to the fact that the qb has 5 secons to throw.  They don't have guys on that team that can win one on one up front and we don't have the guys on the back end to hold up over 4 quarters one on one.  

I am not saying the scheme is perfect, i think it could be said that its too compartmentalized in some respects but taking out the game against NE they have been able to keep us in games with little talent.

Why doesn't Gus go back to his roots are just run the basic Tampa 2 instead of this Seattle-South version? Monte Kiffen is out there still wanting to coach, bring the guy in as a consultant or as the DC... I don't care.

You're mike linebacker is a good football player, but he isn't going to carry the seam all the way down the field, you don't have a three technique that is going to disrupt and your safeties lack awareness.

Quote:Why doesn't Gus go back to his roots are just run the basic Tampa 2 instead of this Seattle-South version? Monte Kiffen is out there still wanting to coach, bring the guy in as a consultant or as the DC... I don't care.

Tampa 2 has the same principles of rush 4 with minimal to blitzing. Behind that is blanket coverage, with fast guys who are sure tacklers. They are failing in all aspects.

Right now is where you wish someone on the staff had experience in the Steeler/Raven's coaching tree that stressing blitzing but none do, I think.

Quote:#1 in ypc 14 in yards. What could that mean? #32 in 3rd down conversions allowed coupled with an offense that isnt good on third down or building leads means an inordinate amount of carries. Thats on the third down package not the 2 down nose guard.

Quote:4 games of 24 points or less out of six and the game against Tampa they only had to drive 58 yards for 21 points because of a defensive TD and a short field on an interception and a long punt return.  

If we are holding guys to 3.1 yards per carry and we are giving up 50% on third down it speaks to the fact that the qb has 5 secons to throw.  They don't have guys on that team that can win one on one up front and we don't have the guys on the back end to hold up over 4 quarters one on one.  

I am not saying the scheme is perfect, i think it could be said that its too compartmentalized in some respects but taking out the game against NE they have been able to keep us in games with little talent.

Agreed with all of this.

It's plain as day to see, it's not scheme as much as not having the horses to rush on the edge. The numbers and the eye test align perfectly with what you're saying.