Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Do you approve of the job Gus Bradley is doing as head coach?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

The Official Gus Bradley and Dave Caldwell Approval Poll

Quote:Does Bradley suck? Well, his record here would seem to indicate that is the case, however, there is more at play here that has led to the demise of this team than Gus Bradley. If were looking for a 'whipping boy' to blame then Gus can be targeted as he is the easiest one to jump on; but remember, he was hired by Dave Caldwell, who was hired by Shad Khan. We may be the fans, but the team belongs to Khan and he gets to do with it what he wants, good or bad. 

I am a advocate of giving Gus the whole season. If it proves that he is a lost cause by week 8 what's the point in sacking him then; the season is lost. If we keep him and have another bad season like last year at least we know we'll be selecting in the top five of the draft. There is the possibility, remote as it may seem at this point, that the team could turn around and show real heart and pull out at least a 6-10 season. I would not be in favor of firing Gus if we could pull a 6-10 season out of the hat. And allow me to cut off the '6-10?... that's awful!' crowd; I didn't say I would be happy with 6-10, I'm just saying that if we could pull out... at least... a 6-10 record it may be grounds to have faith in Gus for one more season.

13-35 in three seasons. That's the dream!

Quick, sign him to an extension before some other team hires him away.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2015, 12:40 PM by Jabberwocky.)

My biggest problem with the coaching staff is that it seems like we play great in the first half and terrible in the second.  I assume the other teams coaching staff is making better half time adjustments than ours.  

We do not have a legitimate #2 WR, have an injured FA TE and a struggling second year QB, which renders our offense ineffective. 3 years into the rebuild I put this on the GM.

If the Jags play bad enough to get Bradley fired, it will likely correlate to  poor play from Bortles.  I can't see any top coaching candidates wanting to tie their careers to a QB that has already played two poor seasons and would have to learn a third offense in as many years.  If Bradley gets fired it probably means we are giving up on Bortles.  I hope Caldwell goes with him if Bradley gets fired.

I personally think Bradley should be given the benefit of the doubt since his first two seasons he was given Gabbert and Henne.

Why don't we take all of our analytics experts and put them to use creating halftime adjustments?

'02

In my opinion Caldwell has done a good job.  He has not always hit but he's gotten more right then wrong.  The only decisions that really had me scratching my head was letting Daryl Smith and JT Thomas walk and trading Scobee.  As far as Bradley, think he's a good coach but unless some more positive results start to show up record-wise, the organization will have to consider alternatives, maybe as early as the end of this season.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:In my opinion Caldwell has done a good job.  He has not always hit but he's gotten more right then wrong.  The only decisions that really had me scratching my head was letting Daryl Smith and JT Thomas walk and trading Scobee.  As far as Bradley, think he's a good coach but unless some more positive results start to show up record-wise, the organization will have to consider alternatives, maybe as early as the end of this season.

JT left for a starting gig...I don't even think more money would have kept him. I agree with you about Daryl Smith tho, and I also never understood letting Terrance Knighton.go. Roy Miller is no upgrade over TK.

'02

Quote:In my opinion Caldwell has done a good job.  He has not always hit but he's gotten more right then wrong.  The only decisions that really had me scratching my head was letting Daryl Smith and JT Thomas walk and trading Scobee.  As far as Bradley, think he's a good coach but unless some more positive results start to show up record-wise, the organization will have to consider alternatives, maybe as early as the end of this season.

What have you seen so far that makes you say you think Bradley is a good coach?

He is in his 3rd year and he started year one off 0-8, year 2 off 0-6 (thank God for the Browns) and now in year 3 he absolutely has to win today or he will be starting year 3 out 0-4 and very possibly worse then that.

He is 7-26 as a head coach in the time he has been here.

Everyone says he is a great motivator and gets players to play hard for him, but when you watch the games the team just doesn't look like a well coached team too much of the time. (lots of missed tackles for example)

I mean, they do have real NFL players on the Jaguars like they do on other teams right?

Signed,

Mr. Y's  Kindergartner's class

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Oh man. Kindergarten. Good one.

I like Caldwell but unless Gus is bringing in Ws he's gotta go

Quote:What have you seen so far that makes you say you think Bradley is a good coach?

He is in his 3rd year and he started year one off 0-8, year 2 off 0-6 (thank God for the Browns) and now in year 3 he absolutely has to win today or he will be starting year 3 out 0-4 and very possibly worse then that.

He is 7-26 as a head coach in the time he has been here.

Everyone says he is a great motivator and gets players to play hard for him, but when you watch the games the team just doesn't look like a well coached team too much of the time. (lots of missed tackles for example)

I mean, they do have real NFL players on the Jaguars like they do on other teams right?

Signed,

Mr. Y's  Kindergartner's class

I think he is a good coach because his players continue to play hard for him in the face of adversity.  It's an easy thing to assume this is normal for any professional team but it's not.  I think the defense is pretty good and when they are at full strength, they'll be top 10.  It hasn't translated to wins yet and maybe never will (this is a results oriented league after all).

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I think this almost underscores my concern. We arent even a good enough team to win when things are going our way. Poz Int, some early stops by the defense. But then we just go on and beat ourselves on offense and special teams. It's absurd. How are we supposed to beat elite teams who arent injury plagued and don't make mistakes? How many years until we become competitive with them?

The place is here, the time is now!

(Why did I just yell that)?

The Head Coach Gus Bradley already stated in a press conference prior to the Panthers game that the team that will own the AFC South this year and many to come has been built, (being the Jaguars)!

Quote:Why don't we take all of our analytics experts and put them to use creating halftime adjustments?

Gus does come back flat after half time, even in this game 20 points over 200 yards in the first half, but the 2nd only landed 3 points (luckily the Defense really stepped it up in the 2nd half though)!

Quote:Why don't we take all of our analytics experts and put them to use creating halftime adjustments?

Halftime adjustments. People should read up on these sometime. You gameplan all week and there's only so much 'adjusting' that can be done in the 4 or 5 minutes the coaches have with the players at halftime. And more often than not, it's the POSITION COACHES that spend time with each unit. But I'm sure we'll keep hearing about them.

That aside, I thought they got too conservative on O in the second half.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Gus does come back flat after half time, even in this game 20 points over 200 yards in the first half, but the 2nd only landed 3 points (luckily the Defense really stepped it up in the 2nd half though)!

Both defenses stepped it up in the 2nd half.  You act like our offense struggled just because we made no adjustments.  I disagree.  I think both defenses decided they were going to lock it down.  That was the theme for almost the entire 2nd half before the Jags finally found a way to move the offense down the field for the win at the end of the game.  Both teams made good adjustments in the 2nd half.  The Jags just turned out to be better.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Miami still came out stronger than the Jags in the second half.  it's a consistent trend in our games.

I like the players that Caldwell are putting together, I'm just not convinced with Gus.  This is a defining year imo

This poll is still waaay to early in this season.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 12:26 PM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:Miami still came out stronger than the Jags in the second half.  it's a consistent trend in our games.

I like the players that Caldwell are putting together, I'm just not convinced with Gus.  This is a defining year imo

I think defensively they did make adjustments. And that's why after the first drive of the third quarter the Dolphins did not have a drive with more than 22 yards. Six drives, five punts and one turnover on downs.

Quote:Both defenses stepped it up in the 2nd half. You act like our offense struggled just because we made no adjustments. I disagree. I think both defenses decided they were going to lock it down. That was the theme for almost the entire 2nd half before the Jags finally found a way to move the offense down the field for the win at the end of the game. Both teams made good adjustments in the 2nd half. The Jags just turned out to be better.

Offense was ridiculously predictable in the 2nd half. Clearly got more conservative. Runs on every first down, despite having a very poor average. That's called playing not to lose.

I have to wonder, since it's a consistent 2nd half theme the last 2 years, if conditioning doesnt have something to do with it.

And finally, can we please just cut marcedes lewis?

Quote:I think defensively they did make adjustments. And that's why after the first drive of the third quarter the Dolphins did not have a drive with more than 22 yards. Six drives, five punts and one turnover on downs.
Offensively they made some adjustments too... Went really conservative with little to no leas, despite the fact that we weren't running very well.

Its the NFL. We had a stagnant offense for quarter and a half. It happens even to elite offenses at times.

My issue is with Gus's challenges and situational coaching, they are God awful at times and it seems like we have a bonehead coaching move in game each week. In the fins game the challenge(fumble) that was already ruled incomplete on a 3rd down where you are already guaranteed the ball(via punt) fumble or not was a dumb use of a challenge/timeout, and timeouts should never get wasted. I still love that we won and Gus is  our guy for the foreseeable future and no one is perfect. He just needs to work on his situational coaching in game, its clear his guys want to play hard for him and respect him so that is my only gripe on Gus.

Dave is a good GM, he has acquired a lot of solid talent around here and I honestly think we are a stud pass rusher away from a top 5-10 Defense or better. If we had Blackmon in this offense( or another elite WR option) we would also be a top 10-15 Offense or better and compete for the AFCS every year from here on out for the next decade. I am not 100% sold yet, but we are showing improvement and that is always refreshing. Like all GMs he has had misses, but if Bortles, Fowler and AR15 pan out to be stars there is no denying this team will be loaded for a long time.