Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Good, Bad and the Ugly for Pre Wk 3

[sarcasm]I have the answer for Chenne's replacement. The Eagles are on the verge of cutting Tim Tebow. [/sarcasm]

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Did you even watch the game? He didn't even get hit. He fumbled it standing still.

"and it wasn't even raining"

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:[sarcasm]I have the answer for Chenne's replacement. The Eagles are on the verge of cutting Tim Tebow. [/sarcasm]

Finally a post all the JWesque posters on here can clearly understand.

Well done Jags02, well done.

Quote:I don't either.  Sure he has limitations, mostly physical but he has everything else you could want.  He can't carry a team obviously but he is understands the game and on a good team he could get you through a few games in a pinch..  Also, he's a professional and knows his role.  We could do worse in a backup QB.

lol, So because we could do worse is a good enough reason to keep him as the Jags backup QB, even though he has limitations? Priceless.

Just keep in mind that the Henne you are watching out there right now is going against vanilla/plain and mostly 2nd string defenses in the preseason.

As I watch the other preseason games around the league I see so much better back up QB play from other back up QBs, and some 3rd stringers and they aren't 8 yr NFL veterans. Some of those guys are making a lot more plays then our very own 8 yr veteran backup QB.

Why is that I ask you? An 8 year vet should have a big advantage over guys who have only been in the league for a couple of years or so.

Quote:[Image: SGVphIa.jpg?1]

A+

Quote:[sarcasm]I have the answer for Chenne's replacement. The Eagles are on the verge of cutting Tim Tebow. [/sarcasm]
If only to make his career come full circle, lets sign him to a one day contract

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:I don't think he'd lose games for us with a good supporting cast.  He's not all that great of a QB due mostly to the fact that he can't make the throws that good QBs can make.  He'll make mistakes sure but it's not like good QBs don't make mistakes.  Heck, Favre was famous for fumbles.  At his level it's mostly about the mental aspect of the game.

Quote:It's not so much that he can't make the throws as much as it is that he won't make the throws necessary to win games. If Henne is playing, there's a 80-20 chance of losing the game, and the 20 is all about the running game, defense and special teams.

The real problem is having a backup who is even close to being decent is very difficult and short lived, because if he's even close to decent he'll get signed to start somewhere. It's a league where Brian Hoyer is starting, and guys like Josh McCown and Matt Flynn got signed on to be starters on teams because of a few decent games as a backup.

Henne is a terrible QB. He's incapable of good play over an extended period. He's Gabbert with a few more years of experience. It would be nice if the Jaguars could have a truly good backup, but if they're going to have one they'll have to find them in the middle rounds of the draft, and so far Caldwell doesn't seem to be putting that "reach for need" priority on backup QB. I can't say he's wrong in that, either. The team at this point isn't good enough to win much if it's not being carried by the QB.

Quote:And a great CB breaks up those passes regardless of who's throwing or catching the ball.

He is a second year cb that spent half of last season on ir and the rest at nickel

He is going to make mistakes but his potential is incredibly high

Quote:[Image: Screen_Shot_2015_08_29_at_7_45_06_PM.png]

sorry for poor quality screen shot off a video.. but to argue your point and even agree with it a bit. ya Tate had 2-3 strides on him however Colvin seemed to make up those strides quickly as you see him almost on top of him at this point and if his arm is a lil longer having a shot at swatting it. The truth is that was a great throw in a small window a long ways down field.

after years of watching guys like Drayton Florence, Will James, Derek Cox and so many forgettable others get beat deep the difference here is it took a great throw for the play to happen. Tate was open, but he wasn't wide open like so many others have been.

I added the safety in the picture to show how far away he is in the play, i don't know the coverage or what happened to bring him up but he seems to be out of position

That was an amazing throw by Stafford and amazing catch by Tate, not sure Colvin could've done much more to defend it. He was stride for stride with Tate until Tate slowed down then took off again. Even then, Colvin caught up rather quick. Im more worried about the pass rush than i am the CBs.

Quote:The real problem is having a backup who is even close to being decent is very difficult and short lived, because if he's even close to decent he'll get signed to start somewhere. It's a league where Brian Hoyer is starting, and guys like Josh McCown and Matt Flynn got signed on to be starters on teams because of a few decent games as a backup.

Henne is a terrible QB. He's incapable of good play over an extended period. He's Gabbert with a few more years of experience. It would be nice if the Jaguars could have a truly good backup, but if they're going to have one they'll have to find them in the middle rounds of the draft, and so far Caldwell doesn't seem to be putting that "reach for need" priority on backup QB. I can't say he's wrong in that, either. The team at this point isn't good enough to win much if it's not being carried by the QB.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Concur mon frere. He's revealingly bad. Solidified the notion that there are good QBS and bad QBS in the league. The good is gray, the bad is black and white. I bet the ESPN writer that spewed QB battle in Jacksonville is uneasy, if not questioned for false info, on a major network.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:This makes a lot of sense to me. Concur mon frere. He's revealingly bad. Solidified the notion that there are good QBS and bad QBS in the league. The good is gray, the bad is black and white. I bet the ESPN writer that spewed QB battle in Jacksonville is uneasy, if not questioned for false info, on a major network.
That writer isn't worried. Journalistic integrity is pretty much ignored there.

I'm watching the Eagles-Packers game, and Brett Hundley has been very impressive. If the Packers opt to only keep two QBs, this means they'll release Scott Tolzien or Hundley.

Tolzien missed the Eagles game with a concussion although he had been cleared to play prior to the game, but they opted to be cautious. I watched him play in a couple games a couple years ago when I was playing FF, and he was rather impressive. This preseason in the first two games he's completed 21 of 35 passes (60%) for 209 yards (6.0 YPA) and 2 TDs with 0 INTs for a 96.0 qb rating.

Hundley, a 6-3, 22 year old rookie from UCLA, completed 22 of 31 passes (71%) for 315 yards (10.1 YPA), 2 TDs and 1 INT for a 111.6 qb rating his debut against the Eagles. He also had 3 runs for 15 yards.

Either qb would represent a far better option than Chenne.

'02

I don't worry about the defense.  They had some good stops against Giants and Lions starters.  The improved offense should keep the defense a lot fresher than last year.  Special Teams looks pretty good.   The D needs more big plays and turnovers to take the next step.  That's more likely to happen if they aren't already tasked with carrying the team like last year.  If the passing game is reliable, a lot of good things will happen, and the D can play a more complimentary and possibly a more opportunistic role. 

BTW, this offense needs speed. Maybe it will change when Julius is there as he'll command some attention vs. LB/safeties, or if Lee is healthy but while ARob is physical and can get up, almost every time Blake went for him, there was a guy draped all over him.

Good: Bortles, Allen Hurns, Parnell.

Bad: Drops, Linebackers.

Ugly: Luke Joekle, Loston.

For what it's worth we had a grand total of 3 sacks last preseason. Not worried about it yet
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:The Good was Bortles and the TEs, best TE game we've had in a while. Can't wait for Thomas to be back in the lineup.

The Bad was the defense, they were fortunate early on that the lions didn't score but they really put up very little resistance, going back to the fact that the defensive line has no pash rushing ability at all right now.

The Ugly was Yeldon in his first action. About a yard per carry and got a big break on his goal line TD that was really a fumble. I know a lot of people here were ready to crown him, but I'm just not seeing it. So-so speed, so-so size, and a fumbler. The worst part is that rushing the ball should be the easiest transition from college to NFL, Joeckel might be the worse pick due to the draft position, but I can actually understand why Joeckel was taken so high. He plays a premium position and had the measureables and game film. The Yeldon pick just seems like a desperation need reach when Caldwell thought all the backs were going off of the board. Someone should have told him RB isn't a premium position and to sit tight.

Lol where was he supposed to run?

Quote:Good: Bortles, Allen Hurns, Parnell.

Bad: Drops, Linebackers.

Ugly: Luke Joekle, Loston.

Loston has been horrendous.

;

;

Quote:[Image: Screen_Shot_2015_08_29_at_7_45_06_PM.png]

sorry for poor quality screen shot off a video.. but to argue your point and even agree with it a bit. ya Tate had 2-3 strides on him however Colvin seemed to make up those strides quickly as you see him almost on top of him at this point and if his arm is a lil longer having a shot at swatting it. The truth is that was a great throw in a small window a long ways down field.

after years of watching guys like Drayton Florence, Will James, Derek Cox and so many forgettable others get beat deep the difference here is it took a great throw for the play to happen. Tate was open, but he wasn't wide open like so many others have been.

I added the safety in the picture to show how far away he is in the play, i don't know the coverage or what happened to bring him up but he seems to be out of position
If I remember correctly, Brown bit on a crossing route. He did make a decent recovery. Stafford is just great at throwing the deep ball... that throw was absolutely perfect. Reminds me of that TD pass Rivers threw to Floyd last season against us. One of the few times I remember McCray getting "beat"
No commercial messages in sigs

Brown didn't bite on anything. A receiver crossed his face so he had to pick him up. Zone defense can't work if the Qb got all day...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available