Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Democrats draft bill to eliminate 'husband' & 'wife'......

Quote:I didn't say that at all and no. I never referred to myself or any gay person as a husband. I said we would call ourselves wives.

Quote:Or are you talking about me agreeing that men are husbands and women are wives?! If that's the case, yes I believe that and so do you but you want to argue so go ahead.

Actually I think he was referring to me.

Sure I am "guilty" of stereotyping, but I wasn't asking or framing my initial question to be hateful or disrespectful.  I admit to my ignorance when it comes to the gay lifestyle.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure he was talking about you. I think maybe he thinks I am stereotyping with using wife and husband? To me, it's acceptable as any other male term - Brother, Uncle, Nephew, Sir, etc.

Quote:I'm not gay, just disturbingly happy over nothing.

Well your "vaping medication" certainly has nothing to do with it.  Wink

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I'm not sure he was talking about you. I think maybe he thinks I am stereotyping with using wife and husband? To me, it's acceptable as any other male term - Brother, Uncle, Nephew, Sir, etc.

I just went back and re-read the exchange.  I'm certain that he was talking about me, and "kind of" agreeing with you.  His comment referred to me asking if a "masculine" woman in a lesbian relationship was considered a "husband".  That is very much a "stereotype" on my part, and he does bring up a valid point (and here I open up another can of worms).

Does the definition of "husband" and "wife" need to be changed?  I ask this question in jest, but the "logical" side of me wonders about it.

No big deal, I learned a bit between yesterday and today.

Quote:I just went back and re-read the exchange.  I'm certain that he was talking about me, and "kind of" agreeing with you.  His comment referred to me asking if a "masculine" woman in a lesbian relationship was considered a "husband".  That is very much a "stereotype" on my part, and he does bring up a valid point (and here I open up another can of worms).

Does the definition of "husband" and "wife" need to be changed?  I ask this question in jest, but the "logical" side of me wonders about it.

Haha, you're admitted naivety is pretty funny.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:I didn't say that at all and no. I never referred to myself or any gay person as a husband. I said we would call ourselves wives.

I was talking about the post you quoted (couldn't remember who the user was), where the masculine person was automatically "assumed" to be a husband. I was pointing out this stereotype that in same sex relationship, the "masculine" or the "butch" (as I've heard the term used) is referred to as the "husband".

I believe there is a lot of gender stereotype/generalization that fuels these discussions, in which at its core is the belief that men > women. Which is why gay men are believed to be a "step down" (because they go from masculine to fem) while most don't care if a woman becomes more assertive (going from feminine to masculine personality) by some

EDIT: not saying that person who asked this believes it. But I've spoken to many who do have this belief.

Quote:I'm not sure he was talking about you. I think maybe he thinks I am stereotyping with using wife and husband? To me, it's acceptable as any other male term - Brother, Uncle, Nephew, Sir, etc.
Well crap.  We're going to have to come up with gender neutral terms for all of these too?  Wink

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015, 10:51 AM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:I just went back and re-read the exchange.  I'm certain that he was talking about me, and "kind of" agreeing with you.  His comment referred to me asking if a "masculine" woman in a lesbian relationship was considered a "husband".  That is very much a "stereotype" on my part, and he does bring up a valid point (and here I open up another can of worms).

Ah so it was you. No I don't think husband/wife terms need to be changed. I don't know the origin of it, but it fits its current definition. We're only talking legalize here anyway, so the use of husband/wife is still fine in common lingo. Its only when we talk about it in the legal sense (where you know the lawyers are just eager to look for every loophole out there) that it needs changing.

I mean when we say father/mother, we "usually" refer to the biological parents. But times have changed with adoption, which is done even by opposite-sex couples.

Quote:Well crap.  We're going to have to come up with gender neutral terms for all of these too?  Wink

I don't know, ask Bruce Jenner what she thinks.

Or ask Kaitlin Jenner what he thinks.

Or....

hell, I don't know anymore.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato