Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BREAKING: Court rules against Redskins

Quote:Redskin has been a negative term used to refer to Native Americans since well before the team started using the name. People just didn't care about using the word until the 60's when it's usage dropped off considerably.

It's history begs otherwise. The term had a benign origin

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I rarely work on Friday...I work 4 ten hour days and off Friday Saturday and Sunday unless I want to or need to work Friday I don't

Only 40 hours a week? What are you, Canadian???
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:It's history begs otherwise. The term had a benign origin
So did the n-bomb.

Quote:So did the n-bomb.

And the swastika.

Quote:So did the n-bomb.

I'm not sure that word was ever benign. Certainly not in the lifetime of anyone on this board.

Quote:And the swastika.

Yes, and forming a football team is the same as exterminating the Jews. /sarc

Can you show us even one example of a person actually using the term redskin in a derogatory manner against an ethnic group?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I'm not sure that word was ever benign. Certainly not in the lifetime of anyone on this board.
Not in the lifetime of anyone here, no, but it's derived simply from the Spanish word for "black", which was just a convenient way to refer to slaves. Over time, it was shifted and subverted into something else - kind of like "redskin".

Quote:Not in the lifetime of anyone here, no, but it's derived simply from the Spanish word for "black", which was just a convenient way to refer to slaves. Over time, it was shifted and subverted into something else - kind of like "redskin".

Kinda like how San Diego in latin means a whale's vajayjay..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Kinda like how San Diego in latin means a whale's vajayjay..
You mean German, of course Wink

Quote:You mean German, of course Wink

The Germans originally spoke latin. Matter of fact, the word German is latin for Jurmany or Yourmany. I think it was Ponce De Leon who changed it to the referred pronunciation it is today.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

So I ask again.  Since the term "cowboy" was a derogatory word at certain points of our nation's history, should The Dallas Cowboys be forced to change their name?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:So I ask again.  Since the term "cowboy" was a derogatory word at certain points of our nation's history, should The Dallas Cowboys be forced to change their name?

But it's such a perfect monicker for their fanbase...

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato