Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, this guy walks into a church, in Charleston

Did I hear right? The victims families got fast tracked for 29 million bucks in federal money?
Blakes Life Matters

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Did I hear right? The victims families got fast tracked for 29 million bucks in federal money?

You heard right. Sorry to be harsh, but how on Earth is this a federal issue?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You heard right. Sorry to be harsh, but how on Earth is this a federal issue?

We need to go back to 1984 and ask Ronald Reagan why he thought it was when he signed the Victims of Crime Act.

;

;

Quote:You heard right. Sorry to be harsh, but how on Earth is this a federal issue?

This is the only news that I've seen regarding this.  I had never heard of the national Crime Victim Assistance Formula Grant program.  It looks like more government bloat to me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:We need to go back to 1984 and ask Ronald Reagan why he thought it was when he signed the Victims of Crime Act.

I wish we could.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

What goes into determining how much victims' families receive? Probably lifetime earnings potential, but that only averages about $2M per person. Where is the other $1M per person coming from?

Quote:This is the only news that I've seen regarding this.  I had never heard of the national Crime Victim Assistance Formula Grant program.  It looks like more government bloat to me.

It is odd that the only mentions of this are that vague Reuters report and a few blogs.

;

;

Well, I hope it's consistent. Families of fallen police officers, random shooting like the movie theatre and school shootings.

With all the killings happening, say hello to the United States of Greece. If 29 million gets paid out to ever 9 victims families, hell, I don't even want to do the math.

Question? How are these payouts determined? There are shootings everyday right here. Does the family get a few million for every person capped? Sounds, pardon the pun, like overkill.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:It is odd that the only mentions of this are that vague Reuters report and a few blogs.

I agree.  I'm withholding my comments regarding this until we get more actual facts rather than simply blog reports that are pure speculation as a result of the initial report.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:What goes into determining how much victims' families receive? Probably lifetime earnings potential, but that only averages about $2M per person. Where is the other $1M per person coming from?

Quote:Well, I hope it's consistent. Families of fallen police officers, random shooting like the movie theatre and school shootings.

With all the killings happening, say hello to the United States of Greece. If 29 million gets paid out to ever 9 victims families, hell, I don't even want to do the math.

Question? How are these payouts determined? There are shootings everyday right here. Does the family get a few million for every person capped? Sounds, pardon the pun, like overkill.

For some of the answers, refer to the second link of my previous post.  This is the use of your and my tax dollars.  Whether or not you think it's a good use is up to you to decide.

Quote:For some of the answers, refer to the second link of my previous post.  This is the use of your and my tax dollars.  Whether or not you think it's a good use is up to you to decide.

I am not smart enough to understand all of this. But from looking at this link, I am not sure "your and my tax dollars" are what is funding this.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/10601

;

;

Quote:I am not smart enough to understand all of this. But from looking at this link, I am not sure "your and my tax dollars" are what is funding this.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/10601

You are correct and I mis-spoke, however in a "roundabout way" our tax dollars also pay for this.  While tax dollars don't contribute to the fund, our tax dollars do fund a government office.

Quote:You are correct and I mis-spoke, however in a "roundabout way" our tax dollars also pay for this.  While tax dollars don't contribute to the fund, our tax dollars do fund a government office.

You could also say the funds that do pay for it could be used elsewhere where our tax dollars are actually spent.