Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My final record prediction

Last year I had us going 5-11, I couldn't trust in Sprinkle boy too push over the past season, and I was over estimating them sadly.

This year, I have a gut feeling somethings going to change and I know every year is "our year" and we always fall flat but with the level of talent we currently have there's only 2 things we need for a winning season

Fournette giving us a legit threat of a running game, and Bortles limiting his turnovers by any means. These 2 will go hand-n-hand. anyways.

11-5 is my final prediction, this will fall on Blakes shoulders as well as Fournette but let's be real this defense is going to be the best in the league or close. 

GO JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

11 wins?

Wowzer.

Hope you're right.

(07-03-2017, 11:00 AM)Kane Wrote: 11 wins?

Wowzer.

Hope you're right.

I lean towards the jags in winnable games but gave them no wins vs very good opponents... I see a good chance if Blake/fournette can get this offense efficient

There's obvious improvement throughout the roster, and the schedule for once is doable. I forsee some exciting games as the Jaguars figure out their identity and how to win games this season. I believe the team is finally built, and that these guys have what it takes to win it all, but this season there's sure to be a bit of a learning curve. We'll see if just maybe they take advantage of the schedule and contend this year, but for now I'll stick with 8-8 as the Jaguars finally have a non-losing season.
'02

8-8 is reasonable, just going with my gut on this one.

[Image: number_eight_pool_ball_classic_round_sti...vr_324.jpg]

I'll give them the benefit of doubt and say 9-7 or better. The only three games that I have very little confidence of them wining are October 8 @ Steelers, November 12 vs. Chargers and November 26 @ Cardinals. To me, every other game on the schedule is winnable including the few that I mentioned.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

6-10
I don't trust Blake.Teams will loaf the box to stop OF, daring Bottles to pass

I picked 9 wins in 2015 and 7 or 8 wins in 2016 and thought I was trying to be deliberately pessimistic. How little I knew. With that said, I think the team is much more talented than they've shown and have had to really work hard to lose as many games as they have over that span. This year with the improvements in the roster and by simply eliminating some of the particularly stupid mistakes I think they should be able to flirt with 8 wins. A lot of it hinges on the QB obviously. I have hopes because it's not like he's a guy that can't be very productive in stretches, what holds him back are the frequency of the really dumb mistakes. On the other hand, if he actually plays like a franchise QB and the defense lives up to that potential they have, 10 wins and a division title is very doable.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-03-2017, 02:04 PM)jagboss Wrote: 6-10
I don't trust Blake.Teams will loaf the box to stop OF, daring Bottles to pass

You know that Blake threw for 8334 yds and 58 tds the last 2 years right? So he know how to pass the ball and if you take your feelings out of the situation please get bike more credit and not fault him for everything based on team success. and not fault him for everything based on team success.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-03-2017, 10:54 AM)JagginAndSwaggin Wrote: Last year I had us going 5-11, I couldn't trust in Sprinkle boy too push over the past season, and I was over estimating them sadly.

This year, I have a gut feeling somethings going to change and I know every year is "our year" and we always fall flat but with the level of talent we currently have there's only 2 things we need for a winning season

Fournette giving us a legit threat of a running game, and Bortles limiting his turnovers by any means. These 2 will go hand-n-hand. anyways.

11-5 is my final prediction, this will fall on Blakes shoulders as well as Fournette but let's be real this defense is going to be the best in the league or close. 

GO JAGS

Love the optimism. I would be pumped if this comes to fruition. I'm not sold on the idea we will get over 10 wins, but i think with the coaching change, revamped Defense, and the FA acquisitions, we have a shot to be a lot better than we have been for the last decade.

(07-03-2017, 10:54 AM)JagginAndSwaggin Wrote: Last year I had us going 5-11, I couldn't trust in Sprinkle boy too push over the past season, and I was over estimating them sadly.

GO JAGS

First off I think this thread is way too early.

Going into last season I had a sinking feeling. I predicted 7 wins, but that was after going back and being optimistic. My first time going over the season I came up with 5 wins, and it turns out I was being too generous.

I'm not ready to say playoffs for the Jaguars in 2017, but really there's no way this team should win less than 8 games on the season if Fournette is actually worthy of being taken at #4 overall, and if he is worthy of it this team against this schedule should be winning the AFCS with 10+ wins.

I didn't like the Fournette pick, but if he works out then the team should be playoff level, because a RB that's special enough to be a top 5 pick should be a 5 YPC 12+ TD kind of RB. If he's not that then Caldwell should probably be fired, he'd be the fourth guy Caldwell badly reached on in five top 5 draft picks.

Also, Yeldon was an absolutely terrible draft pick, it can't be repeated enough.

I remember that last season I had predicted that we would do no better than 5-6 wins... and it turned out that I was being overly generous with that prediction. Vegas has already predicted that we're no better than a 5-6 team this season. Given the upgrade at the HC position (we hope) and the talent acquisitions through the draft and f/a, one can only hope that we'll have 'at least' 5-6 wins this season. 

I'm not overly optimistic that having an upgrade at running back (we hope) will effect that much positive change in our season record. As I recall, we once (in the not that distant past) had a situation where we had a quarterback who was, shall we say, less than 'reliable'. However, we had a great running back and had an excellent running game... and finished the season near the bottom.

Regardless of how good our newest running back is (and allow me to point out that we don't actually know yet how effective he is going to be in the NFL) that without the threat of an effective passing game the Jags are too easy to out score. If we can't effectively and reliably pass the ball and are forced (in order to prevent turnovers) to lean heavily on a running game, we will lose to any team that has a passing game since they can put points on the scoreboard faster that we can. All our opponents have to do is 'stack the box' and dare us to pass. Unless there has been dramatic improvement in our passing game, we will defeat ourselves via turnovers, and low scoring production.

So if this line of logic is reasonable, then the odus of responsibility for how this season will go falls largely on our passing game. I view our emphasis on the running game as simply trying to compensate for the poor/unreliable performance of our passing game. You'll notice that I'm not specifically pointing out Blake Bortles when I talk about the passing game. That's because (while he is the single biggest factor) he is only one part of it; the receivers and the line have to do their jobs also or nothing will work.

I think this is the reason why Vegas has us at no better than 5.5 wins, and that's why I'm not holding my breath hoping for much better than that either. We didn't upgrade the single most key player on the offense...yet.

(07-04-2017, 08:43 AM)StitchJones Wrote: ...

...If we can't effectively and reliably pass the ball and are forced (in order to prevent turnovers) to lean heavily on a running game, we will lose to any team that has a passing game since they can put points on the scoreboard faster that we can. All our opponents have to do is 'stack the box' and dare us to pass. Unless there has been dramatic improvement in our passing game, we will defeat ourselves via turnovers, and low scoring production.

So if this line of logic is reasonable, then the odus of responsibility for how this season will go falls largely on our passing game. I view our emphasis on the running game as simply trying to compensate for the poor/unreliable performance of our passing game. You'll notice that I'm not specifically pointing out Blake Bortles when I talk about the passing game. That's because (while he is the single biggest factor) he is only one part of it; the receivers and the line have to do their jobs also or nothing will work.

I think this is the reason why Vegas has us at no better than 5.5 wins, and that's why I'm not holding my breath hoping for much better than that either. We didn't upgrade the single most key player on the offense...yet.

Upgrades to the Jags pass rush and secondary make the bolded phrase less than certain. This defense has the potential to hold the lesser quarterbacks to very low production.

Otherwise I agree.  I would add that the Jags passing game should only need to be marginally better to win several more games in 2017 than 2016. Especially if the run game indeed gets a boost from the revamped O-Line, FB and RB additions.
Those are still question marks - but expecting both aspects of the offense to improve marginally is not a very tall order.

(07-04-2017, 08:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 08:43 AM)StitchJones Wrote: ...

...If we can't effectively and reliably pass the ball and are forced (in order to prevent turnovers) to lean heavily on a running game, we will lose to any team that has a passing game since they can put points on the scoreboard faster that we can. All our opponents have to do is 'stack the box' and dare us to pass. Unless there has been dramatic improvement in our passing game, we will defeat ourselves via turnovers, and low scoring production.

Upgrades to the Jags pass rush and secondary make the bolded phrase less than certain. This defense has the potential to hold the lesser quarterbacks to very low production.

Otherwise I agree.  I would add that the Jags passing game should only need to be marginally better to win several more games in 2017 than 2016. Especially if the run game indeed gets a boost from the revamped O-Line, FB and RB additions.
Those are still question marks - but expecting both aspects of the offense to improve marginally is not a very tall order.
But we don't know yet if those 'upgrades' to our pass rush really will be upgrades. Until I 'see it on the field' I'm not becoming too optimistic about the Jags anymore. Plus as I said, Vegas has (or had) us at only 5.5 wins this season. They aren't sold on the effectiveness of the defensive upgrades and they tend to be pretty good judges of what to expect.

My (way too early) prediction is 6-10. I like Blake, but I doubt his throwing motion/poise is "fixed" like Coughlin guaranteed. Marrone is still here. Caldwell is still here. Khan is still the owner. At least the Gus experiment is finally over. Can a team that's been averaging 3 wins for the past 4 seasons really become division champs with a few new pieces and an attitude adjustment? Stay tuned.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(07-05-2017, 08:01 AM)KodiakJag Wrote: My (way too early) prediction is 6-10.  I like Blake, but I doubt his throwing motion/poise is "fixed" like Coughlin guaranteed.  Marrone is still here.  Caldwell is still here.  Khan is still the owner.  At least the Gus experiment is finally over.  Can a team that's been averaging 3 wins for the past 4 seasons really become division champs with a few new pieces and an attitude adjustment?  Stay tuned.

I'm not sure how I totally missed it, but can you link to video or article where Coughlin guaranteed Bortles is fixed. 
'02

(07-04-2017, 04:32 PM)StitchJones Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 08:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Upgrades to the Jags pass rush and secondary make the bolded phrase less than certain. This defense has the potential to hold the lesser quarterbacks to very low production.

But we don't know yet if those 'upgrades' to our pass rush really will be upgrades. Until I 'see it on the field' I'm not becoming too optimistic about the Jags anymore. Plus as I said, Vegas has (or had) us at only 5.5 wins this season. They aren't sold on the effectiveness of the defensive upgrades and they tend to be pretty good judges of what to expect.
I hear you - but Calais Campbell is about as much of a "proven commodity" as you'll find to upgrade a pass rush. I'm confident he'll make a difference. And I don't put much stock in Vegas odds.

(07-05-2017, 11:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 04:32 PM)StitchJones Wrote: But we don't know yet if those 'upgrades' to our pass rush really will be upgrades. Until I 'see it on the field' I'm not becoming too optimistic about the Jags anymore. Plus as I said, Vegas has (or had) us at only 5.5 wins this season. They aren't sold on the effectiveness of the defensive upgrades and they tend to be pretty good judges of what to expect.
I hear you - but Calais Campbell is about as much of a "proven commodity" as you'll find to upgrade a pass rush. I'm confident he'll make a difference. And I don't put much stock in Vegas odds.

As long as he doesn't suddenly fall off a cliff in his production the Jaguars should at least be decent in pass rushing thanks to Malik, Ngakoue and Campbell. If Jack covers well and Ramsey and Bouye play as expected (very well if not elite) the defense should improve it's scoring rank fifteen to twenty spots.

(07-03-2017, 01:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'll give them the benefit of doubt and say 9-7 or better.  The only three games that I have very little confidence of them wining are October 8 @ Steelers, November 12 vs. Chargers and November 26 @ Cardinals.  To me, every other game on the schedule is winnable including the few that I mentioned.

I would switch San Diego with Seattle even though Rivers has had our number for a long time. That being said, 8-8 will be my prediction. I expect us to split the 6 games in our division which gives us a best case scenerio of 10-6. The worst case would be 6-10 as the defense is going to be very strong. Combine that with much improved special teams play and even B.B. should be able to win 6 games. As bad as he has been, they can't afford to lose him this year since I have no confidence in either Henne or Allen.