Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey thread (merged)

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 11:54 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Quote:+10,000,000 a year in california is a 12.3% tax rate plus "In addition to those income tax brackets, there is a 1% tax on personal income over $1 million"
...and of course uncle sam gets his cut.
Not to mention a a 7.25~9.25% sales tax on your bling.

He'll make that up easily with LA sponsors. There is more money to be made in a big market, regardless of state taxes. I just wanted to address this, because I keep seeing it stated like it's a fact he will lose money, but it isn't.

Also, some of you have an odd way of assessing risk. You can blame the front office for handling Ramsey carelessly, since none of us knows what went down, but after Ramsey failed to play last Sunday, it was clear that it was going to be a net loss. You have to get something in return and the FO did well by sticking to their guns. The team will lose x value at Ramsey's position, but should gain value with the additional picks, plus the ability to retain more of the players that are currently on the roster.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-16-2019, 11:52 AM)Last42min Wrote: He'll make that up easily with LA sponsors. There is more money to be made in a big market, regardless of state taxes. I just wanted to address this, because I keep seeing it stated like it's a fact he will lose money, but it isn't.

Also, some of you have an odd way of assessing risk. You can blame the front office for handling Ramsey carelessly, since none of us knows what went down, but after Ramsey failed to play last Sunday, it was clear that it was going to be a net loss. You have to get something in return and the FO did well by sticking to their guns. The team will lose x value at Ramsey's position, but should gain value with the additional picks, plus the ability to retain more of the players that are currently on the roster.

You think so?

I doubt it.

That's a city of stars and he plays cornerback.. he's not even a WR.

LeBron owns the sports world in that city.

(10-16-2019, 11:54 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 11:52 AM)Last42min Wrote: He'll make that up easily with LA sponsors. There is more money to be made in a big market, regardless of state taxes. I just wanted to address this, because I keep seeing it stated like it's a fact he will lose money, but it isn't.

You think so?

I doubt it.

That's a city of stars and he plays cornerback.. he's not even a WR.

LeBron owns the sports world in that city.

LeBron went there for what is off the court.  He is doing everything for cash off the court.  If Ramsey plays well, of course he will have opportunities off the field but those taxes are awful.  I think he is landing on his feet pretty well.

I hope our team starts winning yesterday.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Honestly, I could care less what kinds of money Ramsey does or doesn't make.

All I care about is Jacksonville getting better, if that's even possible in this situation. It all hinges on how those first rounders are going to be used in the future. I hope Caldwell scouts well. This team cannot afford another bevy of first rounders busting or becoming problems down the road.

It sucks knowing Ramsey was one of the good picks Dave made (Albeit he fell into the man's lap, so to speak), but that's life.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 12:39 PM by JagFan81.)

Wow. Oesher bringing it today [/url]
[font=NotoSerif]
Steve from Shreveport, LA
I guess it worked out for both parties, but mostly I am glad it’s over. Let’s move on.
[/font]

[font=NotoSerif]I suppose it worked out for both parties, though I don’t know if you get any real winners from a situation such as this. The Jaguars lost a player whom they treated very well during his time here (remember The Training Camp Paternity Leave and Other Accepted Absences) and who should have been a franchise-defining player for years to come. I suppose Ramsey will feel like he won in the short term, but I wonder how long he will be content at his next stop. I have to say I’m disappointed and a bit surprised with Ramsey’s extreme behavior in recent weeks. I thought for three years he was a young superstar who behaved the way young superstars do, and I thought his behavior – the interviews, the trash-talking, the eye rolling, even the criticism of the coaches – was all stuff that sort of went along with What Young Players Do These Days. But the trade demand in the wake of a reported talking-to by Jaguars Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin … that’s where Ramsey lost me. He had behaved inappropriately on the field that day in Week 2 in Houston; to not expect to have it be firmly discussed by team officials was delusional. And whatever problems he had with the front office … c’mon, enough to demand a trade? Enough to want out two weeks into a season? Enough to abandon midseason these teammates you publicly proclaimed to love? No, I’ve seen a lot of borderline behavior in 25 seasons covering the NFL, but I’ve never seen anything quite so selfish as this. I truly liked Ramsey and truly thought he was more positive than negative during most of his time here, but the behavior of the last few weeks? Nah. It was disappointing, tiring and more than a little sickening.[/font]

(10-16-2019, 10:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 10:40 AM)Rico Wrote: LOL.  I have connections?  You're the one that predicted he would play if he was here.  He's done nothing of the sort to indicate he would.  At least I have prior actions to go on, where as you're just flat-out dreaming.  Here's a big news flash for you.  He isn't hurt.  Anyone that can't see that is truly clueless.

So the players make the decision on whether they suit up or not and not the coaches.  Got it.  I guess all of that listening to the trainers talk is just fluff for the media when they sit out players that are clearly ready to come back and say so themselves only to have the medical staff say hold them out.

So if a player says, "I'm hurt and can't play," you actually think it's the coaches decision at that point?  Ramsey was cleared to play two weeks ago from a medical standpoint - "no structural damage".

(10-16-2019, 12:39 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 10:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So the players make the decision on whether they suit up or not and not the coaches.  Got it.  I guess all of that listening to the trainers talk is just fluff for the media when they sit out players that are clearly ready to come back and say so themselves only to have the medical staff say hold them out.

So if a player says, "I'm hurt and can't play," you actually think it's the coaches decision at that point?  Ramsey was cleared to play two weeks ago from a medical standpoint - "no structural damage".

Jalen copied this pic off of Google and sent it to Shad Khan

[Image: 6985dc5c68464e079df1cc19d04722f3.aspx]

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 12:46 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/stat...37157?s=21

Lololololol

Big Grin
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(10-16-2019, 12:45 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/stat...37157?s=21

Lololololol

Big Grin

They can't afford him... they basically gave us 2 1st rounders for 22 games with Ramsey.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 12:52 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(10-16-2019, 12:39 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 10:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So the players make the decision on whether they suit up or not and not the coaches.  Got it.  I guess all of that listening to the trainers talk is just fluff for the media when they sit out players that are clearly ready to come back and say so themselves only to have the medical staff say hold them out.

If that's what was said then no i do not.  I'm searching for facts, not speculation.  I don't need a we think answer, i want an i know response and have not read any.

It's done. Now lets get rid of the FO and actually draft 1st rounders we can keep.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(10-16-2019, 12:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 12:45 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/stat...37157?s=21

Lololololol

Big Grin

They can't afford him... they basically gave us 2 1st rounders for 22 games with Ramsey.

While true, Deion didn’t even get to the contract aspect. His “mentor” is going to turn Ramsey into AB.

Quote: “One thing is that Jalen is a businessman,” Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, who like Ramsey played at Florida State, said on NFL Network. “Secondly, I don’t feel like the Rams are the Rams of old. Thirdly, taxes . . . Taxes in California, the cost of living in California is not feasible to a guy who’s just coming out of Florida. . . I don’t know if this is a situation that’s gonna last over a year. This may be for right now.”

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 12:53 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-16-2019, 12:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: They can't afford him... they basically gave us 2 1st rounders for 22 games with Ramsey.

One day soon a team will devise a plan to trade a star player for high draft picks, only to have that same player return to the team as a free agent.  I mean, could you imagine Jalen signing with the Jags in 2021 or 2022 when he sits out upon the Rams laying the franchise tag on him.  In this scenario, the Jags land Jalen + 2 first round picks + 1 fourth round pick.  I'm just using this as an example.

(10-16-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Marrone seemed frustrated that he's answering questions that really are directed at the front office and not him.

https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...64032?s=20

As Doug should be. I said it a few weeks ago. Marrone and Khan and Khan Jr. all publicly came forward about this entire situation and were beyond fair and reasonable in how it was discussed openly. Funny enough the two biggest people involved in what all probably transpired (now well known as of today) were pretty much mum. Mum's the word when it came to Tom and Dave. 

And maybe that's for the best. Keep that stuff in house. But it's not fair for Doug to stand up there and have to answer for that. He coached the guy. He squashed that incident on the sideline quickly. And did his best coach speak possible since week three of this year. 

As much [BLEEP] that I like to talk about him and this staff from time to time. He handled that situation about as well as anybody could have possibly handled it there. But the front office needs to speak up or clear the air for their coach at some point. If they have already then I apologize that I missed it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Interestingly, sources who spoke to Yahoo Sports on Tuesday evening said that Khan had a firm intent as late as last week to work out the problems between Ramsey and Jaguars executive vice president Tom Coughlin. This despite Ramsey repeatedly telling the Jaguars he wanted to be traded, while simultaneously appearing to hunt for reasons to stay off the field without exhibiting behavior that could be considered “conduct detrimental to the team.” Sources said Khan believed that if he could get Coughlin and Ramsey together, the team owner was capable of mediating the situation and repairing a rift that deepened during a September meeting between Coughlin and Ramsey that went sideways. The fallout from that meeting apparently not only triggered Ramsey asking for a trade, but also put Coughlin into a mindset that he was willing to make it happen for the right price.

(10-16-2019, 12:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 12:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: They can't afford him... they basically gave us 2 1st rounders for 22 games with Ramsey.

One day soon a team will devise a plan to trade a star player for high draft picks, only to have that same player return to the team as a free agent.  I mean, could you imagine Jalen signing with the Jags in 2021 or 2022 when he sits out upon the Rams laying the franchise tag on him.  In this scenario, the Jags land Jalen + 2 first round picks + 1 fourth round pick.  I'm just using this as an example.

Man... I could see the Patriots pulling that off.

I thought the Rams fans would be happy to get him but most of them on the forums appear to be expressing anything from disappointment to anger. FWIW (and that's not much really), they think the Rams FO screwed up. But then Ramsey's demanding to become the highest paid defensive player in history this off season, they may come to that realization too, lol.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-16-2019, 12:58 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I thought the Rams fans would be happy to get him but most of them on the forums appear to be expressing anything from disappointment to anger. FWIW (and that's not much really), they think the Rams FO screwed up. But then Ramsey's demanding to become the highest paid defensive player in history this off season, they may come to that realization too, lol.

I think this is the best part. Food for thought for those who are upset about the trade. The Rams overpaid for someone who may not even sign a new contract with them.

Ramsey's just selfish. I actually kinda feel bad for the Rams fans, in a way; this is a Superbowl or Bust kind of move. If they don't win a superbowl, it's going to cause real questions about how heavy the price was for a guy who probably isn't going to take a pay cut, because in his mind he deserves to be the highest paid cornerback/defender/whatever in the NFL.

I don't care really. He's their problem now. If they can find a way to resolve it without destroying the core of the team, good for them. If not, they swung for the home run and struck out. Such is how sports goes

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 01:08 PM by JagFan81.)

(10-15-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:45 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Exactly Bullseye. The problem is letting Ramsey and Yannick contracts get to this stage. It starts to affect the on field.

And like you point out, there arent many positions that we are genuinely in the top 10 in the league. We need so many things to go right and break our way on player development.

With that draft capital Khan may think that gives a new HC/FO something to build with.
Exactly...especially at the premier positions.

We had a guy widely considered to be the best CB in football, which is why so many teams were interested in acquiring him, and why the Rams were willing to give up the two first round picks and a 4th for him.
With him playing every game, the team finished in the top or higher every year he's been here.  We'll see where we finish this year with him not being here most of the time.

Elite talent has been so hard to come by for this team.

I think people have forgotten the Gratz and McCray at CB days. To have a player you can put on elite WRs and know they are covered makes gameplanning so much easier. Just the other week people on here were saying we had to change coverage to give Herndon more help.

I just want us to be able to keep our best players. How did it get to this point with Ramsey? Yannick sitting out camp, another situation we could get ahead of but no were letting it run. 

I said before, how many guys have we had for 10+ years? That personify the Jags? That bring rookies in and say this is how we do it here?

(10-16-2019, 01:05 PM)Nikowho Wrote: Ramsey's just selfish. I actually kinda feel bad for the Rams fans, in a way; this is a Superbowl or Bust kind of move. If they don't win a superbowl, it's going to cause real questions about how heavy the price was for a guy who probably isn't going to take a pay cut, because in his mind he deserves to be the highest paid cornerback/defender/whatever in the NFL.

I don't care really. He's their problem now. If they can find a way to resolve it without destroying the core of the team, good for them. If not, they swung for the home run and struck out. Such is how sports goes

It's a new strategy they are trying. Got to a SB last year 

At least they are swinging. Not watching the pitch go by.

(10-16-2019, 01:03 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 12:58 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I thought the Rams fans would be happy to get him but most of them on the forums appear to be expressing anything from disappointment to anger. FWIW (and that's not much really), they think the Rams FO screwed up. But then Ramsey's demanding to become the highest paid defensive player in history this off season, they may come to that realization too, lol.

I think this is the best part. Food for thought for those who are upset about the trade. The Rams overpaid for someone who may not even sign a new contract with them.

Not only that but in that Superbowl loss to the Patriots it was really their offense, not the defense that couldn't get it done. They lost 10 - 3. Ramsey's not going to fix that for them. They're 3 - 3 at the moment. They have somewhat of a favorable schedule remaining on the year but it'll be tough to gain much ground now on the Seahawks & 49ERS who are playing awfully good when they need to win games. 

We very well may end up with a top 20 pick from the Rams and depending on how this team shakes out with Minshew (hopefully they get hot here starting against the Bengals) they may end up looking like a bunch of damn geniuses in the front office come April of next year. 

At any rate. Again, can't stress it enough. JALEN RAMSEY DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE. And honestly, if all it took was for Coughlin to get on his nerves about him acting like a brat on the sideline back in week two? Good riddance!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."