Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "Let's talk about"

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2014, 10:30 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:No, I was actually raised in the St. John's area from my high school years and moved out to Callahan/Hilliard with my gf(now wife) behind her parents house on their property. As we got got ahead and saved a little we ended up buying back down here in St. John's. I don't regret either one. I see both sides. Ideally I would love to find a few acres to live on in our area with a comparable house but, for now we are in a subdivision. Maybe in a few more years we can afford the acreage.

I'm looking in Putnam County, where I'm at Flagler County is great but the land has become just as expensive as St. Johns county. It happened rather fast to be honest, about 4 years ago you couldn't give away land out here, now you can't touch 5 acres for under 45k.

I'm also a St. Johns county native, St. Augustine High 2003!

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm looking in Putnam County, where I'm at Flagler County is great but the land has become just as expensive as St. Johns county. It happened rather fast to be honest, about 4 years ago you couldn't give away land out here, now you can't touch 5 acres for under 45k.

Yeah, land has gotten pretty expensive. We knew we wanted this area for the schools and at the time there really wasn't many people out here. So it was almost a fair trade off. Now, it's grown so much and gotten a little busy around this area. Prices here have been down for the last bunch of years but look like they are rebounding. Not quite back to where they used to be but better. We still are enjoying the area though and being close to work groceries and other shopping. Her son graduates in two years, if he moves out or joins the military I have a feeling we may be looking for some place with land in this area. I know I won't have to convince my wife much and we'd still be pretty close to everything we need. I'm hoping the next house will be the last one. But I wouldn't be upset if this was our last house either.

Quote:I'm looking in Putnam County, where I'm at Flagler County is great but the land has become just as expensive as St. Johns county. It happened rather fast to be honest, about 4 years ago you couldn't give away land out here, now you can't touch 5 acres for under 45k.

Do you think you can make the same money in Putnam county as you can in Flagler? Same job options I mean....
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Do you think you can make the same money in Putnam county as you can in Flagler? Same job options I mean....

I would have to move from an independent repair shop to a dealership to make the same money or more in Putnam. That said the drive isn't SO bad that I couldn't keep making the drive, I plan on getting a little gas burner to drive back and forth if we make the move.

just to put in perspective where looking at a 4/2 on 10 acres for 70k it's a foreclosure that's why it's so cheap. Currently we where renting with the hope of buying this 4/2 on 5 acres, so I'm looking at doubling the land.

EricC85,

I know you have young children so one thing you should really consider is the time it will take to get them to and from school, especially when they start playing sports, and may not all be getting picked up at the same time.

Every member of my extended family lives in extremely rural areas, and that is by far our biggest challenge. Generally you take them all in together but one may get out at 1pm (if your kindergarten does that), two more at 3pm, and then another might get out of practice at 5pm. I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

P.s. Here, land goes for over $30,000 per acre so I'm extremely jealous over your prospective purchase.

Quote:I would have to move from an independent repair shop to a dealership to make the same money or more in Putnam. That said the drive isn't SO bad that I couldn't keep making the drive, I plan on getting a little gas burner to drive back and forth if we make the move.

just to put in perspective where looking at a 4/2 on 10 acres for 70k it's a foreclosure that's why it's so cheap. Currently we where renting with the hope of buying this 4/2 on 5 acres, so I'm looking at doubling the land.

What part of Putnam County?

Quote:EricC85,

I know you have young children so one thing you should really consider is the time it will take to get them to and from school, especially when they start playing sports, and may not all be getting picked up at the same time.

Every member of my extended family lives in extremely rural areas, and that is by far our biggest challenge. Generally you take them all in together but one may get out at 1pm (if your kindergarten does that), two more at 3pm, and then another might get out of practice at 5pm. I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

P.s. Here, land goes for over $30,000 per acre so I'm extremely jealous over your prospective purchase.

My oldest the 6 year old and my daughter the 4 year old go to the same school for now, however in about 2 more years when the 3rd starts we plan on homeschooling. Right now I send them to a church school, but there's no way we can swing all 3 of them on tuition so at that point we think we're going to home school.

it takes time and effort to home school that's why we don't do it now (When  I say we I mean my wife lol) she's busy right now figuring out which curriculum and what home school group they want to join. 

Quote:What part of Putnam County?

Interlachen it's just past Palatka  

Quote:My oldest the 6 year old and my daughter the 4 year old go to the same school for now, however in about 2 more years when the 3rd starts we plan on homeschooling. Right now I send them to a church school, but there's no way we can swing all 3 of them on tuition so at that point we think we're going to home school.

it takes time and effort to home school that's why we don't do it now (When  I say we I mean my wife lol) she's busy right now figuring out which curriculum and what home school group they want to join. 

Interlachen it's just past Palatka

You will be about 30 miles away from Gainesville, so that can always be an option for work too.

Quote:You will be about 30 miles away from Gainesville, so that can always be an option for work too.

yea it's pretty centrally located, about an hour from Jax, half an hour from either Gainesville, Bunnell, Daytona Beach, or St. Augustine and about 15 mins from Palatka. Like I said working in Automotive my options are pretty open, you can almost always find work. 

Quote:How did you do in that tourney? You didn't drop too far did ya?
Actually yeah.  The last two weeks a bunch of doubles teams passed us.  It's kind of iffy on whether we'll win any money.  That's the way these tournaments are, the better teams/players wait for the last couple of weeks to see what they have to shoot for.  I think we're like 56th and that week when we were done we were in 23rd.  We'll see.  We just go for the fun and to hang out.  If we win money, it's a bonus.

Still have the regular (not just senior) state tournament in May.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:No, I was actually raised in the St. John's area from my high school years and moved out to Callahan/Hilliard with my gf(now wife) behind her parents house on their property. As we got got ahead and saved a little we ended up buying back down here in St. John's. I don't regret either one. I see both sides. Ideally I would love to find a few acres to live on in our area with a comparable house but, for now we are in a subdivision. Maybe in a few more years we can afford the acreage.

That's a shame they made you stay outside.   :woot:

Quote:That's a shame they made you stay outside.   :woot:

It wasn't so bad. If it got cold, they would lay some straw down for me. Sometimes I even got a heat lamp.

I have to post this somewhere, and I don't feel comfortable putting it on Facebook, so here it goes.

I just helped with the arrest of 3 car thiefs and I'm pretty sure i was very close to being tazed. Heart attack city, population 1.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014, 06:05 AM by EricC85.)

Quote:I have to post this somewhere, and I don't feel comfortable putting it on Facebook, so here it goes.

I just helped with the arrest of 3 car thiefs and I'm pretty sure i was very close to being tazed. Heart attack city, population 1.
Yea don't put that on Facebook lol stay anonymous. But good job man I'm sure your bloods still pumping

Did you catch them in the act or something?

Could you guys keep it down? Mr. George Dickel is still trying to talk to me I think.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Could you guys keep it down? Mr. George Dickel is still trying to talk to me I think.

What's he saying?

I'm at a company function. They fed us dinner and got us all boozed up last night then expect us to stay awake through six hours of presentations today. Not only that, it's absolutely freezing in all of the conference rooms.

Quote:I'm at a company function. They fed us dinner and got us all boozed up last night then expect us to stay awake through six hours of presentations today. Not only that, it's absolutely freezing in all of the conference rooms.

Maybe they figured it would be too cold for you to be sleepy!!

Or Maybe they figured y'all be too hungover to object to the new objectives :teehee: :yes:

[Image: review.jpg]

Quote:What's he saying?

Something about greasy eggs and a bloody mary as near as I can tell.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!