Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Presidental Election

Seems like Iran is itching for a conflict.

Slow Joe should have us in an all out war within 6 months.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-02-2021, 06:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Seems like Iran is itching for a conflict.

Slow Joe should have us in an all out war within 6 months.

It’s strictly saber rattling to save face. They’ve threatened Trump directly and are escalating tensions in the region. They know Joe will lift some sanctions, re-enter the nuclear deal and polish their apples for appeasement. This is all a given. But it makes them look strong if those things are granted after they’ve leveled threats.

(01-02-2021, 06:48 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 12:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: In the US, your employer pre-pays an estimate of what you will owe over the course of the year.
But you are still obligated to fill the forms out and do the real calculation yourself at the end of the year.  Private services like TurboTax and TaxAct step in the gap and fill out the forms for you, but, in my opinion those guys are making money for nothing.  The IRS already knows what your forms should look like; they should just send them to you, and you can review them, and decide whether to agree and sign or whether to dispute something on them.

Mike, how is the IRS expected to know if you bought a house, had a child born, donated money to charities, etc. if all they had was your payroll info?  It's more than just filling out the forms with all the info the IRS has on you, it's filling out the forms AND providing the info that they don't have.

They know more than you think.  Even though charities don't have to pay taxes, they are expected to declare what they receive with the IRS.  Anyhow, most people don't itemize, meaning their charitable contributions are irrelevant. 
If you have a mortgage, your lender is filing interest statements with the IRS the same way your employer does. Your broker also loops the IRS in on your investment activity, and your bank or credit union loops them in too. Any tax form you get from them, that same info already went to the IRS.
The IRS probably wouldn't know about how many kids you have, birth and death, or if any of your kids aren't dependent on you anymore.  So yes, you'd have to correct that aspect.  But that's like 5% of the work.  The other 95% is busy work they dump on us for no good reason.  It's a gift to H&R Block and others.  Those guys have excellent lobbyists.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-02-2021, 07:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 06:48 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: Mike, how is the IRS expected to know if you bought a house, had a child born, donated money to charities, etc. if all they had was your payroll info?  It's more than just filling out the forms with all the info the IRS has on you, it's filling out the forms AND providing the info that they don't have.

They know more than you think.  Even though charities don't have to pay taxes, they are expected to declare what they receive with the IRS.  Anyhow, most people don't itemize, meaning their charitable contributions are irrelevant. 
If you have a mortgage, your lender is filing interest statements with the IRS the same way your employer does. Your broker also loops the IRS in on your investment activity, and your bank or credit union loops them in too. Any tax form you get from them, that same info already went to the IRS.
The IRS probably wouldn't know about how many kids you have, birth and death, or if any of your kids aren't dependent on you anymore.  So yes, you'd have to correct that aspect.  But that's like 5% of the work.  The other 95% is busy work they dump on us for no good reason.  It's a gift to H&R Block and others.  Those guys have excellent lobbyists.

People who don't itemize are losing out. Especially with charities/non-profit companies. We tithe to our church, support two children in an eastern Indian orphanage our church works with and donate monthly to a local non-profit cat rescue. You better believe we add that to our tax form.

(01-02-2021, 07:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 06:48 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: Mike, how is the IRS expected to know if you bought a house, had a child born, donated money to charities, etc. if all they had was your payroll info?  It's more than just filling out the forms with all the info the IRS has on you, it's filling out the forms AND providing the info that they don't have.

What you call "the other 95%" is the easiest part of preparing your tax return.  That's actually 5% of the work, not 95%.  If you use something like Turbotax, you can auto-load all the information that comes from financial institutions or brokerages.  

The time consuming part is the part the IRS does not have information on.  For example, if you own a rental property, you have to do the accounting for that, and put that accounting on your return.  That's just one example.  How about a guy who paints houses for a living?  He might get a check made out to him personally, and how does the IRS know what that was for?  

It is theoretically possible for the IRS to do your return for you, but that would require every single transaction in our entire economy and lots of other information to be automatically recorded in an extremely large computer system.  AND, every time someone originated a transaction, they would have to document what it was for.  That would be big brother on steroids, where the government knows absolutely everything about us.  We're not at that point yet.

We can simplify that by giving our entire paycheck to the government, and letting them redistribute it to society in an equitable manner. That's the only fair way.

(01-03-2021, 10:20 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: We can simplify that by giving our entire paycheck to the government, and letting them redistribute it to society in an equitable manner. That's the only fair way.

The year is still young...

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 06:08 PM by mikesez.)

(01-03-2021, 06:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 07:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: They know more than you think.  Even though charities don't have to pay taxes, they are expected to declare what they receive with the IRS.  Anyhow, most people don't itemize, meaning their charitable contributions are irrelevant. 

What you call "the other 95%" is the easiest part of preparing your tax return.  That's actually 5% of the work, not 95%.  If you use something like Turbotax, you can auto-load all the information that comes from financial institutions or brokerages.  

The time consuming part is the part the IRS does not have information on.  For example, if you own a rental property, you have to do the accounting for that, and put that accounting on your return.  That's just one example.  How about a guy who paints houses for a living?  He might get a check made out to him personally, and how does the IRS know what that was for?  

It is theoretically possible for the IRS to do your return for you, but that would require every single transaction in our entire economy and lots of other information to be automatically recorded in an extremely large computer system.  AND, every time someone originated a transaction, they would have to document what it was for.  That would be big brother on steroids, where the government knows absolutely everything about us.  We're not at that point yet.

I'm not saying the government should automatically collect more information from us.
I'm saying they should use the information they already automatically collect to make tax season simpler for the vast majority of us who are not self employed.
You are using TurboTax as an example to make your point, but, my point is, why should I have to pay TurboTax to gather and calculate what my own government has already gathered and calculated?  Yes, things would still be complicated for the painter in your example, and others like him. That's not the problem I'm trying to solve.

Lol at the Trump recordings.

Dude has lost it.

(01-03-2021, 02:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol at the Trump recordings.

Dude has lost it.

It's not mentioned on Foxnews.com
The people who need to hear this won't hear it.

It's on my list to listen to the full call today.

Dude has lost it.

Best case scenario, he's painfully misinformed, senile, being played, and needs to go to a retirement home.

Worst case/most likely scenario, everyone who ever called Obama or Bush or Clinton a traitor needs to eat a pile of crow [BLEEP] and call for this guy to be taken out back and dealt with like a traitor. He tells state officials to "find" exactly enough votes. He tells them that if they don't "find" those votes, they'll be out of office, possibly in jail.

It's one thing to rant and rave and whine and cry. It's another to intimidate state officials and directly tell them to change the results of their state election. How do you defend this? Someone defend this. I'd be calling for the immediate removal of any President who attempted something like this, regardless of party or ideology. This is worse than the Nixon tapes, and it's going to be defended by 90% of the Republican legislators because they know that their electorate is dumb enough to consider this guy a savior. How can you tolerate a President who directly tells state officials to change their vote count?

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 07:19 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Edited audio. Listen to the whole thing.

(01-03-2021, 06:27 PM)TJBender Wrote:

Dude has lost it.

Best case scenario, he's painfully misinformed, senile, being played, and needs to go to a retirement home.

Worst case/most likely scenario, everyone who ever called Obama or Bush or Clinton a traitor needs to eat a pile of crow [BLEEP] and call for this guy to be taken out back and dealt with like a traitor. He tells state officials to "find" exactly enough votes. He tells them that if they don't "find" those votes, they'll be out of office, possibly in jail.

It's one thing to rant and rave and whine and cry. It's another to intimidate state officials and directly tell them to change the results of their state election. How do you defend this? Someone defend this. I'd be calling for the immediate removal of any President who attempted something like this, regardless of party or ideology. This is worse than the Nixon tapes, and it's going to be defended by 90% of the Republican legislators because they know that their electorate is dumb enough to consider this guy a savior. How can you tolerate a President who directly tells state officials to change their vote count?

Lol.

What kind of idiot do you need to be to continue to buy what the MSM, and particularly, the Bezos owned WAPO keep pushing to you?

Not calling you an idiot TJ, but you just want this sooooooo bad, its clouding your judgement and reason.

(01-03-2021, 07:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Edited audio. Listen to the whole thing.

We finally have evidence of election fraud.

(01-03-2021, 07:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not calling you an idiot TJ, but you just want this sooooooo  bad, its clouding your judgement and reason.

I don’t give a [BLEEP]. He’s gone in two weeks regardless. My problem is that a sitting President who was defeated in the general election has spent months telling the public that elections can’t be trusted. He’s ranting and raving about Democrats committing election fraud while he’s inviting state legislators to the White House, pressuring the courts and now telling a state official in very direct terms that he wants that official to “find” one vote more than is needed to overturn the results. And if the official doesn’t, people will be mad, they’ll vote him out of office, and he’ll be putting himself in legal trouble.

You wanted election fraud? You got it. Now grow a pair and handle it.

(01-03-2021, 08:26 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 07:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not calling you an idiot TJ, but you just want this sooooooo  bad, its clouding your judgement and reason.

I don’t give a [BLEEP]. He’s gone in two weeks regardless. My problem is that a sitting President who was defeated in the general election has spent months telling the public that elections can’t be trusted. He’s ranting and raving about Democrats committing election fraud while he’s inviting state legislators to the White House, pressuring the courts and now telling a state official in very direct terms that he wants that official to “find” one vote more than is needed to overturn the results. And if the official doesn’t, people will be mad, they’ll vote him out of office, and he’ll be putting himself in legal trouble.

Elections can't be trusted anymore. We are a banana republic now. Trump just filed 2 lawsuits per Twitter. I haven't verified yet.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 08:30 PM by Cleatwood.)

(01-03-2021, 07:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Edited audio. Listen to the whole thing.

(01-03-2021, 06:27 PM)TJBender Wrote: Best case scenario, he's painfully misinformed, senile, being played, and needs to go to a retirement home.

Lol.

What kind of idiot do you need to be to continue to buy what the MSM, and particularly, the Bezos owned WAPO keep pushing to you?
What parts exactly were edited?

(01-03-2021, 08:29 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 08:26 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don’t give a [BLEEP]. He’s gone in two weeks regardless. My problem is that a sitting President who was defeated in the general election has spent months telling the public that elections can’t be trusted. He’s ranting and raving about Democrats committing election fraud while he’s inviting state legislators to the White House, pressuring the courts and now telling a state official in very direct terms that he wants that official to “find” one vote more than is needed to overturn the results. And if the official doesn’t, people will be mad, they’ll vote him out of office, and he’ll be putting himself in legal trouble.

Elections can't be trusted anymore. We are a banana republic now. Trump just filed 2 lawsuits per Twitter. I haven't verified yet.
Oh no! More lawsuits?! They’ve gone so well for him to this point.

(01-03-2021, 08:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Lol.

What parts exactly were edited?

Edited to change the narrative of the entire phone call. You tried to pull this same crap last year.

Honestly, to believe Trump would do anything illegal with that many people on the call is silly.

(01-03-2021, 08:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 08:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: What parts exactly were edited?

Edited to change the narrative of the entire phone call. You tried to pull this same crap last year.

Honestly, to believe Trump would do anything illegal with that many people on the call is silly.

There were more people on the Ukraine call.  We know Trump doesn't care, and he believes he can say and do whatever he wants regardless of who is listening.
I guess we are lucky in a sense because what Trump wants to say and do is all entertaining self-aggrandizement.  If he wanted to do more perverse or disgusting things in public there would be no stopping him..