Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Presidental Election

(01-05-2021, 07:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 06:41 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia...t-be-known

While absentee ballots received ahead of Election Day can’t be counted until the polls close, county election officials were allowed to begin processing those ballots in advance. That includes verifying signatures on the outer envelope of the ballot, opening the envelopes, and scanning the ballots.

We could see the leads in the twin Senate contests shift after the polls close and the counting begins – which is what happened in the state’s White House race between President Trump and President-elect Joe Biden.

[font=Roboto,]Trump was ahead of Biden by roughly 100,000 votes in Georgia the morning after the November election, but as more votes were counted, the president’s lead deteriorated and Biden eventually won the state by nearly 12,000 votes, a margin that was upheld in two ensuing recounts and certified by the state.[/font]

So what's going to happen is the same thing that happened in the Presidential race: the Democrats largely have their votes counted after the Republicans have their votes counted.  Because more Democrats are voting by mail.   Which is something Trump and his supporters are apparently incapable of understanding.  

So they can't "count" those ballots until after the polls close, but they can "process" them in advance.

To me it sounds like we should have a result sometime tonight since they didn't "count" the votes, but "processed" them (verify signatures on the outer envelope, open the envelope and scan the ballots).  Does it not make sense that those votes would be immediately "counted" the minute the polls close since they were already "processed"?

I'm speaking purely theoretically here, with no knowledge of actual procedure, but it seems to me like you'd logically want to avoid doing things that could swing the election. If the votes are being counted, then that result is being stored somewhere. And if it's stored somewhere, someone can see it. And if it can be seen, it will be leaked (or at least bullshat). You want to see election fraud? How about an overzealous elections official with access to the running total letting slip that the Republican candidates are up by a landslide--a week before the general election? Now you're potentially driving Democrat turnout up and probably bringing Republican turnout down. Congratulations, you've manipulated the election result using confidential, critical information about the election that you had access to in advance. Now that is election fraud.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 08:01 PM by Jags.)

(01-05-2021, 07:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 07:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So they can't "count" those ballots until after the polls close, but they can "process" them in advance.

To me it sounds like we should have a result sometime tonight since they didn't "count" the votes, but "processed" them (verify signatures on the outer envelope, open the envelope and scan the ballots).  Does it not make sense that those votes would be immediately "counted" the minute the polls close since they were already "processed"?

(01-05-2021, 07:41 PM)Jags Wrote: Was it also Georgia that “stopped” counting overnight after the general election?

(01-05-2021, 07:44 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Yes, and a random pipe break in Fulton county....

[Image: giphy.gif]

Did Sandra bullock
[Image: 1fa9cddf61f742aa271dcf8c5fe92dfe.jpg]
Or Jalen Ramsey pay child support for him?
[img=388x1400]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/c2c875d3-988a-4f4d-bf02-7dfe668dfd4b[/img]

I’m not sure who had custody

(01-05-2021, 07:55 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 07:49 PM)TJBender Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Shouldn’t that guy have made reparations for his white privilege before he died?

I think St. Peter was much more concerned about some other children that guy did when it came time to make the call at the Pearly Gates.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 08:02 PM by mikesez.)

(01-05-2021, 06:24 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 06:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia...t-be-known

Additional time needed to count the mail-in and early ballots (which are treated like mail-in ballots here) makes sense. Massive election day turnout does not. Unfortunately, various news sites seemingly have no idea how to define "turnout". In this case, turnout via early voting and absentee balloting was high--and no unsolicited ballots were mailed as far as I know.

But I have had 7 different people over the last four days knock on my door to ask who I was voting for. Turns out, "Your guy," is a really nice way to get rid of them. And I stopped counting the number of "Thanks for being a Georgia voter!" hand-written postcards I got from Massachusetts. You and I may disagree on almost everything else, but campaign finance reform is the hill I'd die on with you. The amount of money coming in from out of state for a Georgia election is just wrong.

But, yes, if there are 3 million absentee/early ballots to count and it's as close a race as it is expected to (but shouldn't) be, Georgia's going to need time to count. Of course, if yo boy had kept his damn mouth shut and not spent weeks telling Georgia how rigged the system is and how corrupt the elected officials are down here, Perdue and Loeffler both would have had easy wins instead of having to stay up late and cross their fingers.

I don't see a way of changing it.
If people believe spending money that way helps their chances of winning, they will find a way to spend the money regardless of what the law says.
The good news is, once both sides spend enough to get name recognition, spending more does not correlate to winning or losing.  
If the people who had these obscene piles of cash understood that, they wouldn't spend nearly as much.
As with many things, the problem isn't that we have bad laws, it's that too many rich people are dumb.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-05-2021, 08:01 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 07:55 PM)Jags Wrote: Shouldn’t that guy have made reparations for his white privilege before he died?

I think St. Peter was much more concerned about some other children that guy did when it came time to make the call at the Pearly Gates.

Ok, that is true.  Good point.

Lots of poll watchers watching these scumbag cheaters in Fulton county.

(01-05-2021, 08:04 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Lots of poll watchers watching these scumbag cheaters in Fulton county.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 09:16 PM by homebiscuit.)

Hopefully there's no water main problems in Georgia tonight.

Not looking good for GOP.

Looks like blue counties are hanging back to see how many votes they need to come up with.

Chatham county stopped counting for the evening.

Warnock won. Ossoff on his way to winning.

(01-06-2021, 12:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Warnock won. Ossoff on his way to winning.

It’s almost like making elections accessible to voters encourages them to vote.

Its almost joe time

(01-06-2021, 12:52 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 12:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Warnock won. Ossoff on his way to winning.

It’s almost like making elections accessible to voters encourages them to vote.

They’ve always been accessible. It required some effort, but anyone could vote.

What’s driven the turnout this time is the polarizing person in the White House.

(01-06-2021, 07:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 12:52 AM)TJBender Wrote: It’s almost like making elections accessible to voters encourages them to vote.

They’ve always been accessible. It required some effort, but anyone could vote.

What’s driven the turnout this time is the polarizing person in the White House.

I'm sure there will be a lot of post-mortems on the Georgia US Senate elections, and wildly varying opinions, but I wonder, did the fact that Trump was not on the ballot depress the Republican vote?  I am speculating that a lot of people voted November 3 because they wanted to vote for Trump, but then a lot of them stayed home January 5 because they lost interest.

"Now we take Georgia, then we change America"

- Charles Schumer, Senate Majority Leader

(01-06-2021, 08:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 07:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They’ve always been accessible. It required some effort, but anyone could vote.

I'm sure there will be a lot of post-mortems on the Georgia US Senate elections, and wildly varying opinions, but I wonder, did the fact that Trump was not on the ballot depress the Republican vote?  I am speculating that a lot of people voted November 3 because they wanted to vote for Trump, but then a lot of them stayed home January 5 because they lost interest.

News radio says black turnout was stronger this time than any midterm. I’m sure that’s the most significant factor in the formula.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 08:19 AM by mikesez.)

(01-06-2021, 08:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 07:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They’ve always been accessible. It required some effort, but anyone could vote.

Both Perdue and Ossoff lost votes, compared to November.
There were about a half a million people who voted in November and chose not to vote yesterday.  I don't get it, but it's always that way. Whoever loses less voters to laziness and apathy wins.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-06-2021, 08:15 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: "Now we take Georgia, then we change America"

- Charles Schumer, Senate Majority Leader

It’s my opinion we’re going to see a swell of moderation in both houses. People are worn out with the political bickering.

Trump’s economic and foreign policies benefited Americans of all stripes. It was the man himself who lost his re-election. Chuck and Nancy aren’t getting the mandate they believe to burn it down and the Squad is no where near as influential as the media wants everyone to think.

All of this talk about stacking the courts and giving statehood to PR and DC will never get traction. Wait and see.