Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban Meyer Hired. It's official!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 01:27 AM by NewJagsCity.)

(01-14-2021, 09:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I do not think the GM matters. This will be Meyers team.

Agree with this. GM and Meyer will work together, but Meyer will have the final say.

(01-14-2021, 10:02 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 09:48 PM)Jags Wrote: Were apparently on different pages.  I was just trying to thwart your attempts to keep mikesez around.  I’m not 100% on board with Meyer, but am optimistic about it. Also optimistic about he and TL and the future of the team/city/fan base.
Im staying optimistic at best. No one roots to fail.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

(01-14-2021, 09:50 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Not only that but Trevor will bring the Clemson fan base with him and Urban the Gator and Buckeye fanbase with him and all 3 fanbases are huge.
As a Gator Fan, im pretty sure he is top 3 in our most hated coaches list. Yay championship, boo disaster he swept under the rug we unearthed when he quit on us.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalkwon since Meyer left?

Um...how many national titles has Florida won since Meyer left? Oh yeah, none. Gator fans, LOL
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well... Baalke is worrisome if it indeed is true for obvious reasons. I understand it'll be Meyer's control, but i'd love to have someone who isn't just a puppet and can actually contribute in a positive way.

Linehan, not too worried about that one. he held a OC position in Dallas and was 50/50 - 2 years with a 20+ rated offense and 1 yr inside the top 5 and another within the top 15 so he's not a complete train wreck. He also was mentioned as being someone Meyer looked up too... so he could help him with the experience section. It'd be better if he just took over a position group but we could do a lot worse then hiring Linehan.

C. Strong is in play somewhere in the assistant section. I do believe C. Strong will be hired at some capacity.

Could you imagine if we hired Urban Meyer a few years back, how horrible this board would have been filled with Tebow nut huggers. Oh man im glad its 2021 ?

Btw theres legit already people in the youtube comments saying we should sign Tebow because hes better than Lawrence and my faith in humanity has died.

(01-15-2021, 03:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Could you imagine if we hired Urban Meyer a few years back, how horrible this board would have been filled with Tebow nut huggers. Oh man im glad its 2021 ?

Btw theres legit already people in the youtube comments saying we should sign Tebow because hes better than Lawrence and my faith in humanity has died.

We should sign him.. as our Strength and Fitness co-ordinator.

We can bring him back home and he can work a job he's actually good at.

(01-15-2021, 03:18 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 03:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Could you imagine if we hired Urban Meyer a few years back, how horrible this board would have been filled with Tebow nut huggers. Oh man im glad its 2021 ?

We should sign him.. as our Strength and Fitness co-ordinator.

We can bring him back home and he can work a job he's actually good at.

Ive been as skeptical of lawrence as anyone, but good lord i cant believe people are still out there who think Tebow would be a better option. Yikes

For those that are obsessed with 3-4 defense.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIM7JA6gxS5/

Urban on TLaw

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFC0wsjDYZ3/

(01-14-2021, 09:38 PM)Brett Wrote: Not trying to be negative but seriously wondering....are we supposed to believe that his health is all better now?
(01-14-2021, 09:41 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 09:38 PM)Brett Wrote: Not trying to be negative but seriously wondering....are we supposed to believe that his health is all better now?
I dont know whether i believe anything urban. His health update, commitment to the team, nothing. Its all wait and see until he proves he isnt the same trashy, behind the scenes urban he's always been.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Health was an excuse, not the real reason. He knew UF was falling apart because of him overlooking the crime and then he couldn't find a QB. OSU was because he again let crap happen and he knew what his assistant was doing and did nothing. His health was just an easy out without having to admit his failures.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 06:12 AM by jaglyn.)

He’s a program builder. Or Re-builder. I think thats his passion and where he shines as a HC.

That could be exactly what Khan’’s main expectation out of this hire, is to pull the Jags out of this rut and get us back to being competitive. If Meyer is successful, the Jags would need a backup plan for longterm consistency because Meyer tends to leave after he is convinced that he has proved himself. He comes off as a mercenary.

Personally I don’t care about his career path, just give me some wins, and make this team respectable and watchable

(01-15-2021, 06:11 AM)jaglyn Wrote: He’s a program builder. Or Re-builder. I think thats his passion and where he shines as a HC.

That could be exactly what Khan’’s main expectation out of this hire, is to pull the Jags out of this rut and get us back to being competitive. If Meyer is successful, the Jags would need a backup plan for longterm consistency because Meyer tends to leave after he is convinced that he has proved himself. He comes off as a mercenary.

Personally I don’t care about his career path, just give me some  wins, and make this team respectable and watchable

This is exactly what I think. I figure the Jags are on a 3 to 4 year time clock before Urbs crumbles. However, that should be enough time to change the culture and get the franchise back on its feet.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 08:32 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-14-2021, 11:20 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Thank you Shad for making a BIG BOY move and not listening to us country bumpkins who want the team ran like a HS team!

Dear Shad, just stuck around a wee bit longer, once we get these crusty guys who wish it was still the 60s outta here, you can modernize this city and team with things like Lot J, controversial players who toot their own horn so they're not overlooked like Fred Taylor, and perhaps a vibrant downtown!

It'll be a challenging sale because crustiness has a way of being passed down, but there are those of us who realize the 60s are gone and never coming back. And like the Army motto, "Always Forward".

Sincerely,

Fans who are ready for the 21st Century

What an [BLEEP].

Sincerely,
An actual fan who understands hiring a 'name' with no NFL coaching experience is a huge risk
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-14-2021, 11:37 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 11:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Chaisson on a tweet after the Meyer hire.  3-4 defense?

https://twitter.com/S4CKGURU/status/1349...93152?s=19

Yes please. The personnel we have screams for a 3-4 base.

It's sad when the actual players know their coach has them out of position.

Chaisson and maybe even Allen are better suited as 34 rush LBs.

(01-15-2021, 08:29 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 11:20 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Thank you Shad for making a BIG BOY move and not listening to us country bumpkins who want the team ran like a HS team!

Dear Shad, just stuck around a wee bit longer, once we get these crusty guys who wish it was still the 60s outta here, you can modernize this city and team with things like Lot J, controversial players who toot their own horn so they're not overlooked like Fred Taylor, and perhaps a vibrant downtown!

It'll be a challenging sale because crustiness has a way of being passed down, but there are those of us who realize the 60s are gone and never coming back. And like the Army motto, "Always Forward".

Sincerely,

What an [BLEEP].

Sincerely,
An actual fan who understands hiring a 'name' with no NFL coaching experience is a huge risk
Hiring anyone is a risk. Why not go big? If it hits, it hits big. 

Better than hiring Bradley, Mularkey, Marrone....

Peyton Manning for QB Coach?

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 09:18 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-15-2021, 08:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 08:29 AM)RicoTx Wrote: What an [BLEEP].

Sincerely,
Hiring anyone is a risk. Why not go big? If it hits, it hits big. 

If being better than Bradley, Mularkey, and Marrone is all you're looking for, I don't know what to say.  It's the same 'well he's better than Bortles' argument that was being thrown around.  It's a pretty [BLEEP] low bar.

But on point, I was merely trying to point out to the bonehead why someone might have reservations.  Do you not agree it's a valid concern, rather than his reasoning that everyone that doesn't like it is wrong or somehow backwards-thinking?

(01-15-2021, 09:18 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 08:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hiring anyone is a risk. Why not go big? If it hits, it hits big. 

If being better than Bradley, Mularkey, and Marrone is all you're looking for, I don't know what to say.  It's the same 'well he's better than Bortles' argument that was being thrown around.  It's a pretty [BLEEP] low bar.

But on point, I was merely trying to point out to the bonehead why someone might have reservations.  Do you not agree it's a valid concern, rather than his reasoning that everyone that doesn't like it is wrong or somehow backwards-thinking?
My point in bringing up the previous coaches is that at the time, they were sought after coordinators (except Marrone). So great coaches can come from everywhere.

I absolutely agree it’s a valid concern. He has no NFL experience and that should give people reservations. However, Urban seems like a front runner and he clearly sees something he likes in Jacksonville. Trevor, some talented WRs (sign AROB please), 4 top 50 picks and 100 mill in cap space.

He wasn’t my top choice but this team needs a program builder. A complete culture change and he seems like he’s done that everywhere.

If Urban Meyer's wife doesn't want him to coach, he can always divorce her and marry Jeff Prosser. Oy vey, you should hear him on the radio this morning.

I am really on board with the culture change idea. That apparently includes facilities, nutritionists, strength and conditioning, absolutely everything. A total reboot from the ground up for the entire football side of the franchise. I think if he only lasts for 2 years, he'll accomplish a lot.

(01-15-2021, 09:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 09:18 AM)RicoTx Wrote: If being better than Bradley, Mularkey, and Marrone is all you're looking for, I don't know what to say.  It's the same 'well he's better than Bortles' argument that was being thrown around.  It's a pretty [BLEEP] low bar.

My point in bringing up the previous coaches is that at the time, they were sought after coordinators (except Marrone). So great coaches can come from everywhere.

I absolutely agree it’s a valid concern. He has no NFL experience and that should give people reservations. However, Urban seems like a front runner and he clearly sees something he likes in Jacksonville. Trevor, some talented WRs (sign AROB please), 4 top 50 picks and 100 mill in cap space.

He wasn’t my top choice but this team needs a program builder. A complete culture change and he seems like he’s done that everywhere.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I take issue with the idiot poster I replied to for his blanket remark.

I just don't have the warm fuzzies about this hiring.  I think it wreaks of a Coughlin TYPE of hiring.  A well-known name in Jacksonville, which I think was the main reason Coughlin was brought in.

Hopefully it works out.  What choice do I/we have but to sit and wait.  I just hope they didn't piss this opportunity away.

(01-15-2021, 08:29 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

Sincerely,

What an [BLEEP].

Sincerely,

Will you be so kind as to express why you're the only one who has concern of Urban having no NFL experience? And then expound into why Shad who actually knows him, doesn't seem to have a problem with that?

Afterwards can you give us the superior candidates you preferred...

Thank you in advance!